E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Clearing fault code general advice (not the codes themselves)

01-25-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
matt_s
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d e90

Clearing fault code general advice (not the codes themselves)

hello all,
a very easy question for the wise masses, re fault codes and clearing them.

Car is 2006 e90 330d M, done 129k, I've had it since 60k and have serviced it myself since then, using quality parts and oils.

Last bit of work I did was 2x thermostats (genuine used), swirl flaps out, check and clean egr, 6x glow plugs (Berus). That was about 1000 miles ago. Hindsight error, I didn't check any codes prior to starting work, so didn't know the start state of the vehicle.

Dad borrowed the car, and got the DPF warning on it. Lots of research around the conditions needed etc. Lead me to buy BMWhat App (great app!) and a wifi obd.

Threw a throttle sensor error, so had a look at that and wiggled the plug, was loose, cleared the fault because I know I'd fixed the problem.

However, I now have 17 BMW error codes, amongst which are glow plugs 1 and 4 which I assume are historic errors (or the module?)

So enough waffling, my question is, conscious that the car needs to be code free in order to regen DPF, is it OK to simply clear the codes (I have a log of what they were)???

If the code is still present and needs an actual fix, do they simply re-present themselves or is it a case of they've gone forever even if the underlying problem is still there?

Your advice appreciated.

Matt
Appreciate 0