EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

All these undercarriage broken/trashed threads have me double thinking lowering my m4

So I just ordered H&R Sport springs and 12mm spacers for my 2 month old M4 and planned to install them in the next couple weeks but I've seen like 3-4 threads just this week about the undercarriage being torn apart for various reasons (exhaust tip...lulz, etc) and it has me thinking well damn if these people were stock height and I'm about to lower is 1.2" this could be a real pain in the ass. I have the splitters/lip on as is which makes it even more of a concern for clearance. My driver way sloped up at an easy to manage angle so I'm more just worried about just the regular roads around town.....anyone else getting 2nd thoughts on lowering their M3/4?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
So I just ordered H&R Sport springs and 12mm spacers for my 2 month old M4 and planned to install them in the next couple weeks but I've seen like 3-4 threads just this week about the undercarriage being torn apart for various reasons (exhaust tip...lulz, etc) and it has me thinking well damn if these people were stock height and I'm about to lower is 1.2" this could be a real pain in the ass. I have the splitters/lip on as is which makes it even more of a concern for clearance. My driver way sloped up at an easy to manage angle so I'm more just worried about just the regular roads around town.....anyone else getting 2nd thoughts on lowering their M3/4?
No. Your bottom lip is only $250 if you tear it up. You'll be aight.

You're driveway isn't nearly as bad as mine and I'm gonna dropppp.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
To clarify, there are two threads by two guys who happen to be friends and live in San Diego. They both hit some serious debris and had problems. The first guy (hit 18" of pipe on an expressway) - nothing woulda protected him from the damage he got. The second one isn't sure what he hit, has reported a lower speed (35 mph), and seems more unlucky.

Maybe they have serious road hazard issues there?

I dunno. I guess it depends on how much crap you expect to find on roads. Normal driving isn't an issue, hitting something solid at speed is a potential risk - but it is with any car. The location of some of the coolers on the undercarriage mean that is what might get damaged if you do hit something, but, frankly, if you weren't damaging those by hitting something on the road you'd be damaging something else by hitting something on the road.

I assume any lowered car is driven with more care for bumps and stuff so would think if you take care a little lowering will be fine.
      01-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

You have to avoid all road debris/garbage on the road. Some people have to learn by hitting it once however you will NEVER really have the ability to do that.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:58 PM   #5
l!ve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Garage List
But a lowered car means that debris is likely to get under the car.
Appreciate 0