BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

2016 BMW G11 7 Series Will Get Leather Engine Cover

Quote:
So far we learned that inside the cabin we’ll find four sculpted seats, a brand new infotainment system with touchscreens, augmented reality for the driver and a new sound system courtesy of Bowers and Wilkins that will replace the Harman Kardon setup we have now. But what else can we expect?

Since the car will be based on the Vision Future Luxury Concept, we could see some CFRP being used inside the cabin or around it while Organic LEDs could decorate the interior (and exterior to some extent).

That’s not all though. According to our sources in Munich, the new 7 Series will get an optional feature known as ‘3CM’. Searching for it in the BMW system you’ll see that it stands for ‘Leather Engine Cover’. That’s right, if you want to, your car’s engine cover can feature leather instead of plastic.

To me that sounds like a waste, to be perfectly honest, but who knows, some people might want it since BMW decided it should be offered as an option. After all, if there was no demand, they wouldn’t have gone through the trouble of making it, would they?

What other reasons could there be? To look fancy with the bonnet lifted? Who cares? I’m guessing none of the owners of the future 7 Series will ever lift the hood and if they do, they’ll probably not care at all about what material meets their touch or field of view. Furthermore, let’s say that one like to work on his car and that he owns a 7er. Will he actually be so superficial as to order this thing? Probably not.

However, it’s not the first time BMW offers such amenities. On the i8, for example, there’s a plastic cover that conceals what’s in the trunk and also finishes off the engine compartment. That’s for the standard models. If you go for the Pure Impulse World option however (which costs in excess of $10,000), it’s made of leather. Could this have been the inspiration for this move?
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...and-90598.html
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

This can't be real? Who would be ok with the interior looking like a 320i and decide they must have a leather engine cover?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Wouldn't the leather melt with that much heat going on inside the engine bay?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Just a case of broken telephone. The original reporting is here: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=901686. All I said was that there's a Leather Engine Cover option in the BMW database. The Auto Evolution guy got confused and decided that the engine cover option belongs to G11. That's actually unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

Doesnt the i8 have a leather "engine cover?"
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

sounds interesting to me,
not pratical though.
      02-10-2015, 02:54 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post
Doesnt the i8 have a leather "engine cover?"
NOPE
      03-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
NOPE
My dealer in Germany has the leather engine cover option on the i8 list. So I guess its only for the i8, not the 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #9
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
NOPE
My dealer in Germany has the leather engine cover option on the i8 list. So I guess its only for the i8, not the 7 series.
Makes sense, leather works better on a vacuum cleaner motor instead of a combustion engine!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #10
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

just don't let dealership mechanics get dirty hands and ruin the leather engine cover all over.
      04-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Makes sense, leather works better on a vacuum cleaner motor instead of a combustion engine!
The cover isn't on the engine anyway. It's basically the trunk that is leather instead of the cloth/plastic it has standard. It is called the engine cover as the trunk is above the engine.
Appreciate 0