EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

12-01-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
happycow6171
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

m4 vert buying advice

Hi all,
At the mo I have a 435i convertible, it is running on non adaptive suspension.
The ride suffers alot on our scarred uk roads, was thinking of ppk to 360 ps and fitting rs suspension from ac schnitzer.
Or part exchange for m4 vert, could I ask owners of the car what its like day to day to get on with.
Performance, fuel economy and feelgood factor.
Cheers
Happycow
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycow6171 View Post
Hi all,
The ride suffers alot on our scarred uk roads, was thinking of ppk to 360 ps and fitting rs suspension from ac schnitzer.
Or part exchange for m4 vert, could I ask owners of the car what its like day to day to get on with.
Cheers
Happycow
Hi Happycow,

I have had my vert for nearly 3 months. I don't use it everyday and have only just got to the running in service. However I have had 'powerful' cars in the past including a boxster s, 330ci and Z4mc. I would rate the M4 vert as the best car I have ever owned or could wish to own. There will always be a debate vert vs coupe, m4 v m6 v any other performance car and many forum members will want to have their opinions but, IMO, you will never regret it. I hate the end of every journey and always have a smile on my face for at least the next hour.

Performance - unbelievable, astonishing, spine tingling BUT useable. It is not all or nothing and it is happy to cruise as well as a blast around country roads, comfortable in traffic. With the roof off, the sensation of speed and the noise is amazing and far more visceral than the M4 coupe. I generally leave suspension in comfort or sport settings and have not a problem with ride quality, certainly better than my previous F30 (320i xdrive with adaptive suspension), perhaps not having runflats is also helpful.

Fuel economy - seen 28 on the motorway, around town 20-22

Feel good factor - I LOVE IT, it gets so many admiring glances and thumbs up. No one has ever mistook it for a 'non M BMW'. It looks fantastic with the roof down and with the roof up it is such a luxurious and cosseting place to spend time. This, for me, is where BMW are leaps ahead of other cars for similar money. I looked at Astons, 911s, F-type etc and would never say they are lesser cars. But for me, it was about the interaction of the car from the inside and how it works day to day - simple but important things eg comfort access, roof mechanism, I-drive, heads up display, music system, camera system, led lights (admittedly options most of them), BMW do this better IMO.

The M4 vert is, to me, motoring utopia and it is a privilege to own one.

PS - I am biased.
      12-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycow6171 View Post
Hi all,
Cheers
Happycow
Hi Happycow,

I have had my vert for nearly 3 months. I don't use it everyday and have only just got to the running in service. However I have had 'powerful' cars in the past including a boxster s, 330ci and Z4mc. I would rate the M4 vert as the best car I have ever owned or could wish to own. There will always be a debate vert vs coupe, m4 v m6 v any other performance car and many forum members will want to have their opinions but, IMO, you will never regret it. I hate the end of every journey and always have a smile on my face for at least the next hour.

Performance - unbelievable, astonishing, spine tingling BUT useable. It is not all or nothing and it is happy to cruise as well as a blast around country roads, comfortable in traffic. With the roof off, the sensation of speed and the noise is amazing and far more visceral than the M4 coupe. I generally leave suspension in comfort or sport settings and have not a problem with ride quality, certainly better than my previous F30 (320i xdrive with adaptive suspension), perhaps not having runflats is also helpful.

Fuel economy - seen 28 on the motorway, around town 20-22

Feel good factor - I LOVE IT, it gets so many admiring glances and thumbs up. No one has ever mistook it for a 'non M BMW'. It looks fantastic with the roof down and with the roof up it is such a luxurious and cosseting place to spend time. This, for me, is where BMW are leaps ahead of other cars for similar money. I looked at Astons, 911s, F-type etc and would never say they are lesser cars. But for me, it was about the interaction of the car from the inside and how it works day to day - simple but important things eg comfort access, roof mechanism, I-drive, heads up display, music system, camera system, led lights (admittedly options most of them), BMW do this better IMO.

The M4 vert is, to me, motoring utopia and it is a privilege to own one.

PS - I am biased.
I agree with this

Looks so damn sexy
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
crashtestdummy81
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: YMB F83

I've had mine since launch but only been able to drive it for about a month due to work, even so I've still managed to put 2500 miles on it and its a fantastic car.
I would suggest you get to your dealer and take whatever M3/4 the have for a test drive but be prepared to buy one. When I went in it was with the clear intention of buying either a 435 or M4 convertible, the only demo car the had with the '35 engine was an M135 so I drove that back to back with the M4 and there was absolutely no comparison between the engines. It had to be the M4!
I've not noticed any harshness in the suspension and drive 99% of the time in sport. The level of grip in the corners is surprising, you can soon find yourself getting excited and heading down a country lane a little faster than you intended yet still feeling slower than you are used to.
The with the convertible comfort pack top down driving is a pleasure and the wind gives no clue that you're getting fast until you're really going some, it's easy to join a motorway and hit 80 and not even feel it.
MPG: normal driving(for me) I'm getting low-mid 20's, spirited driving is 15 but it will sit at about 35 at a constant 70.
It is a fun, fast and enjoyable car to drive, you sometimes just have to make an excuse to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

What are your thoughts currently Happy Cow....I think you need an M really
      12-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
happycow6171
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

Well tbh an m car would be nice, but semi retired and doing minimal miles thinking of x5 m as just 1 car that will do everything, still a bit undecided have booked a test drive in a macan turbo, but will probably stay with bmw, must take an m4 vert for a spin, nick vose tells me they have a demo car at southport, so will pop down in the next couple of weeks, I bet your excited about your m4 and maybe its about time I indulged as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

Wonderful Car. Luckily, I'm blessed to have an AWD car to take out during the increment weather. Get individualize colors if you can afford it. I like the look of the hardtop.

The Active Suspension option is what I have, thought I don't have an issue with it in terms of comfort. Obviously, not a cushy ride like one of those plush Oldsmobiles, but you don't notice the bumps, unless you are in Sports Plus which you notice just about everything (that's a good thing).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 03:11 AM   #8
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Convertible - Sakhir

I owned a 335 cab previously, then changed to a 911 carrera and then test drove the M4 cab. Sold! The car is superb, a pleasure to drive and so much power! Agree with all comments above.
Appreciate 0