Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-21-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible SS/SS

Garage List
UK customer factory collection

I'm wanting to do a factory collection and wondering if there was any other UK members that would be interested in this so that we can set up a group buy/visit?

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I'm pretty sure u can't from the uk?

Dealer advised Merc are stopping it soon due to a recent uk driver collection fatality
      11-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Chester. I've been advised by dealership and BMW UK that it's not currently possible but they are looking into it. Buying directly from a German dealership is an option but costs are too high. I find it hard to understand how it can be done for US customers but not those from the UK.

Porsche stopped doing it too and BMW UK say it's due to legal restrictions/difficulties with selling a vehicle before it's actually been imported into the country.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer
Thanks Chester. I've been advised by dealership and BMW UK that it's not currently possible but they are looking into it. Buying directly from a German dealership is an option but costs are too high. I find it hard to understand how it can be done for US customers but not those from the UK.

Porsche stopped doing it too and BMW UK say it's due to legal restrictions/difficulties with selling a vehicle before it's actually been imported into the country.
Yes mate frustrating and unusual for German makers to turn down a revenue stream but it's the LHD vs RHD risk that's the issue.

Picking up my M4 from the Welt would have been awesome.
      05-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just thought I'd put this out there again...

I'm buying for March or May 2016. Would really like to do the factory collection or European Delivery. My friend is buying at the same time so that's two of us. Would anybody else like to consider this? I'm thinking if a group of us from the UK wished to do it then BMW may make it happen for us. There seem to be group buys from Canada and the USA so why not from UK or even Europe?

If you could be interested please just post "UK ED 2016!" below.
Thanks,

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

I'm led to believe the main difference is that the US guys pick up from the factory and drive it across Europe.. But they then get re-delivery to their dealer in the states.

Wouldn't be much fun driving from Munich to Calais, dropping the car off and going home without it, for it to turn up at the dealers a few weeks later.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #7
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

PS I would live to do a WELT tour though!! So count me in for that??
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
PS I would live to do a WELT tour though!! So count me in for that??
Hi Cilinv6,

I'd be up for the Welt UK group tour for sure. Lets see how this pans out over the next couple of months.
Thanks,

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I just asked Park Lane myself a couple of weeks ago. Still a no go. The reason being there issues with regards to how warranties work in Europe and the UK. Or so I've been told. Apparently Europe has two year warranties where as the UK has three year warranties, and if you pick up the car in Germany instead of in the UK, somehow that affects how the warranty works.

A few years ago Park Lane had indicated they were going to look back into it, but as of right now, still not a chance.
Hi Railgun,
Thanks for this. Strange that I got a completely different story from BMW UK. If there was one genuine reason for them not continuing the factory collection from the UK then surely we'd all get the same reason from our dealer? Makes me think this is possible.

I really think it's a case of a lot of work and not much gain for BMW when it's individuals collecting cars from Germany. I can understand this as they're running a business after all and need to make money. I'd like to explore the possibility of BMW accommodating a group from the UK as a one off or maybe an annual event so it would be great to go to them with a list of members willing to do the group collection.

I'm on a couple of other car forums and one of them has a forum member who is employed by the manufacturer to specifically to read posts and answer forum members' questions on their behalf. Does anybody know if this is the case here?

Surely twenty odd BMW fanatics going over to Germany together to collect their vehicles would be a great publicity stunt for BMW?
Thanks,

CH.

P.S. When do you intend on purchasing?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 05:20 AM   #10
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hi Railgun,

I sent and received several e-mails about this in October last year. The three contacts at BMW were all based at the Ellesfield Avenue, Bracknell office.

I was given the option to purchase from a dealership in Germany and was referred to DVLA's website but it just seemed like a legal minefield. I made contact with a dealership in Munchen and he informed me that the car would need to be paid for up front as they couldn't risk being left with a right hand drive vehicle. This will make financing the car difficult. I wanted the whole experience to be easy and pleasurable not a headache and a worry.

I'm still thinking that they may do something if there was a group wanting the factory collection. I'd also be interested to know what BMW's head office in Germany would make of their UK counterparts not offering factory collection when it can be done from other countries.

CH.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 05:46 AM   #11
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
I'm wanting to do a factory collection and wondering if there was any other UK members that would be interested in this so that we can set up a group buy/visit?

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Colinv6 put the idea out of a welt tour

Why don't we arrange to do something like that and include a few laps of the Ring and maybe spend a week driving some of the mountain passes in the summer of 2016? It looks like factory collection is pretty much a no go for RHD cars
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #12
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

I'd be interested in visiting BMW Welt...

BTW, my new wheels are now fitted:

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showpo...7&postcount=56
      05-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmarina View Post

Nice, you should update your thread on this forum with new pics

I see you have removed the front number plate mount, did you do this yourself? My stealer wants £350 to do it including VAT as he says the whole bumper will need re sprayed

Cheers,
Denso
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post
Nice, you should update your thread on this forum with new pics

I see you have removed the front number plate mount, did you do this yourself? My stealer wants £350 to do it including VAT as he says the whole bumper will need re sprayed
Wot the f0k?! why do you need to respray all of it?!

No, I spoke to my stealer to fit it without the mount.. I think it looks better..?
      05-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #15
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Wot the f0k?! why do you need to respray all of it?!

No, I spoke to my stealer to fit it without the mount.. I think it looks better..?
I know I am lost as well, doesn't make any sense to me. Unfortunately I am currently 6'500 miles away from the car until June 2nd and then it is probably getting ICE work done before Bimmerfest, doesn't leave me any time to get it done by someone else
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #16
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post
I know I am lost as well, doesn't make any sense to me. Unfortunately I am currently 6'500 miles away from the car until June 2nd and then it is probably getting ICE work done before Bimmerfest, doesn't leave me any time to get it done by someone else
Just leave it as it is mate... alternatively have new plates made from a body shop and have 'em fit it for you FOC.

What sort of ICE work you getting done?
      05-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #17
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Just leave it as it is mate... alternatively have new plates made from a body shop and have 'em fit it for you FOC.

What sort of ICE work you getting done?
New amp, under seat woofers, door speakers etc
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #18
WulsgM4
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT4 MG340i

Quote:

Have you thought about side skirts it would compliment the wheels the OEM side skirts are Matt black and would look amazing with the new wheels
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #19
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So I chatted to a nice chap at Park Lane and, as already previously stated, a collection from Welt is not an option for UK customers. The reason for this is that there just isn't enough interest from UK buyers.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:36 AM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

No real reason is BMW safety concerns of high powered car collection on wrong side of the road customers. Hence all US and Europeans can do it.

Never been too chuffed about this.

PS Yes I know Porsche do it and Merc used or still do, heard they were stopping after a customer from UK wrote off a car ... again...
      06-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #21
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
No real reason is BMW safety concerns of high powered car collection on wrong side of the road customers. Hence all US and Europeans can do it.

Never been too chuffed about this.

PS Yes I know Porsche do it and Merc used or still do, heard they were stopping after a customer from UK wrote off a car ... again...
I can confirm that 100% no shadow of a doubt that Porsche and Mercedes have also stopped doing this too for their UK customers. It's pretty annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #22
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Who'd you speak with?
I think the guy was called Lee. Said he did the ED himself in '09 when he used to live in Canada and that it was a great experience. Just what I wanted to hear, lol.

Quote:
And what constitutes enough interest?
I asked him if they'd do an ED from the UK if there were 15 people or more wanting it. He was non-committal but I got the impression this is the only way it will happen.

Quote:
Why would anything not equal to zero matter. One should be enough.
Agreed. Seems unfair that they don't offer anything special for their UK customers. Don't we pay more than those in the U.S. and Canada for our cars too!?!?

Quote:
Not like there will be a fundamental change to how a process is done.
Exactly! Instead of loading the car onto a transporter for shipping just park it up and give the key to the receptionist until I get there. Not too difficult. Plus they save on shipping costs and charge the customer for the privalidge. It's a win win situation i.e. they're winning twice.

It would be good to be able to contact BMW Germany directly about this. Anybody had a contact there?
Appreciate 0