BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

11-21-2014, 04:19 AM   #1
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Dash rattle

Has anyone fixed rattles themselves in the dash? When I press down on the dash above the instrument cluster it stops. Any guidance on how to Diy is appreciated.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      11-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Have the same one. Worse when it's cold out...

There is this thread, but I didn't see it listed there...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603745
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think its the instrument cluster moving in its space. I noticed it worse when the dash is cold coming out of the garage, and seems to stop once the dash gets warmer from the heat on or sun on it.

Skru face,
If you push on the instrument cluster does the rattle stop? I was thinking if I removed those two tork screws and tried to tighten up the edges with some tape it might stop the sound. Will let you know once I try it.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      11-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
If you push on the instrument cluster does the rattle stop? I was thinking if I removed those two tork screws and tried to tighten up the edges with some tape it might stop the sound. Will let you know once I try it.
Yep. I usually just turn up my stereo to drown it out. Let me know how your fix goes. I thought I had tried that last winter, but don't recall for certain...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Has anyone fixed rattles themselves in the dash? When I press down on the dash above the instrument cluster it stops. Any guidance on how to Diy is appreciated.
Check the rattle thread, but in short, you need to remove the cluster and apply some adhesive felt on top of the cluster, the bottom and rear, then reassemble.
      11-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Check the rattle thread, but in short, you need to remove the cluster and apply some adhesive felt on top of the cluster, the bottom and rear, then reassemble.
Damn. That sounds like a lot of work...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skru_fase View Post
Damn. That sounds like a lot of work...
Not really, there are two torx screws on the topside, look behind the steering wheel. Retract and raise the wheel a bit to see them. They are not very tightly torqued in place (and shouldn't be), once they drop down, you can detach the cable holding the cluster in and yank it out. I place the large blue painter's tape on the clear plastic portion, it scratches very easily.
      11-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Great advice. Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not really, there are two torx screws on the topside, look behind the steering wheel. Retract and raise the wheel a bit to see them. They are not very tightly torqued in place (and shouldn't be), once they drop down, you can detach the cable holding the cluster in and yank it out. I place the large blue painter's tape on the clear plastic portion, it scratches very easily.
Will try. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Dash Rattle DIY Fix

DIY Dash Rattle Fix
Difficulty: Easy!
Cost: Cheap! $12 bucks

I finally got sick of that annoying rattle in the dash that developed as my 2008 E93 M3 aged. For the longest time I could not figure out where the sound was coming from, and did some tests to figure it out. I found that the instrument cluster at play was the source of the noise, and that when the dash heated up due to the engine or sun it went away. But that drive up the hill in the cold morning always was so rattle filed that I just turned up the radio. Then I got a tune and exhaust, and the sound of my pipes became my most favorite morning music.
The rattle had to go.

Name:  dash-2.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  73.1 KB

Step 1: Move your steering wheel fully forward and down
There is a short lever on the left side in case you didnt know!
Pull it down and the wheel will move freely. Lock it in the furthest down and out position you can.

Step 2: Get some felt tape and some blue painters tape
I could not find felt tape by the roll at my local Home Depot, Autozone, or Lowes. I spent more in gas driving trying to find than the $4.50 cents I spent once I figured out they had felt sticker letters at Michaels craft store. My wife was there getting some frames done and I happened to stumble upon them and was like holy crap, thats going to work! The Os, Is, Ds and 8ts were perfect for what was to come next.

Protect your fragile plexi glass instrument panel from scratches by covering with blue painter tape. It will make it so you wont accidentally leave scratches if the torx screwdriver touches it for some reason. Be careful! You will notice any scratches you make.
Name:  dashrattle.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  69.0 KB

Step 3: Get the right star key to remove the screws that hold the instrument cluster in place

I had a torx kit but the mounting screws that are located right above the cluster are small as hell. I didnt have the right size and went to pick that up from Lowes. The size you need is T9. You dont have much room to work so make sure to get something short to work with. Take out the screws and you will be able to gently pry the panel out from the top overhang the screws plug into rocking it downwards towards the steering wheel.
Name:  dashrattle-2.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  79.8 KBName:  dashrattle-3.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  71.1 KB

Step 4: Apply the felt stickers
There are a few spots you want to put the stickers so that the cluster sits snug in her spot. I applied them along the top rearName:  dashrattle-6.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  65.3 KB, front top left and right sides Name:  dashrattle-4.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  85.2 KBName:  dashrattle-5.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  79.6 KBand bottom front. You will notice some felt pads on the bottom of the cluster already. Name:  dash.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  78.0 KBThose worn out old girls are the reason we get the sound. Make sure to get one on each side and one in the middle of the existing felt stickers. I didn't stack them on top but to the side and that seemed to work good.

Step 5: Put the cluster back in and screw it down

There are some tabs on the bottom of the cluster so you cant just push the cluster back in straight. You have to rock it back in reverse of the way you took it out. It can be a bit tricky at first, but take it slow and don't force anything. It may feel like the wheel is in the way and that just means you dont have the right angle on it trying to get back into the dash. The back rear should be skyward and the crystal you taped facing the stem of the steering column. It should rock back in easy as butter if you have it in the right angle. If it doesn't just try again to put the top edge at a sharper downward angle so the tabs are not hitting the soft lower dash piece.
Name:  dashrattle-11.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  72.7 KB
Put in the two torx screws and you are done!

Hope this helps and thanks to all who help solve problems on the M3 Post.

Last edited by Mvy; 12-07-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      12-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #11
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I have a rattle that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side dash or A pillar area. Hard to pinpoint to be honest. It only does it when I am at highway speeds (60mph+) or somewhere in that range. The faster I go, the louder it gets.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #12
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Could be the glove box perhaps? Check out this thread...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603745

Appreciate 0