F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Interesting comparison to E92 M3
ARMA SPEED

11-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Interesting comparison to E92 M3

Whilst I recognise my car's hardly slow, I'm used to it now and a bit more oomph wouldn't go amiss - the car could easily take it and in fact more power has made the xDrive drivetrain a lot more fun. Just wish I had that RS ACS setup to keep up

Today's been a crap day and after 14 hours in office a clearing of mind was needed. Had to pop down to Maplins which involves few roundabouts and bypasses. So a little bit of 'spirited' driving - nothing dangerous - just playing.

Anyhoos on way back end up behind E92 M3. Car in front pulled over but we were both only really going to briefly blat after that (I like my licence and he was either a very sensible chap or wasn't sure if I was unmarked plod in grey 3 series) so just hoped he was going same way as me! Could see I wasn't plod at next stop. Off next runabout I was a bit forward (too much damn traction) so had to back off. From then at about 45ish up to a respectable speed there was really not a lot in it (except he made the most GORGEOUS noise hitch I didn't). Both backed off. Thumbs and smiles at next runabout and off home I went.

Was interesting as first time I've met an E92 in the dry when xDrive counts a lot less (although I can still get the back out in dry with a healthy stab and no question I've got more traction).

Still want more oomph though
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

The eternal lust for car oomph never ends
      11-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Nice
Yes more to the oomph.

That's my discussion with wife lately, at what point is too much actually too much for realistic use lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM2 View Post
The eternal lust for car oomph never ends
It's like a cocaine binge.

Initially it's the best feeling in the world, but as time passes it stops feeling great.

Rent a supercar for a weekend. Pick it up Friday afternoon, by the evening your comfortable with it. By Saturday night your seeing how it is to launch and in race mode, Corsa mode, etc. By Sunday afternoon you have mastered it.

Then comes Monday and the final drive it like it's stolen drive to hand it back. Keys get handed over, paperwork gets done and suddenly you have come back down to earth. You are now depressed and need something to help you go to sleep.

You jump into your 300 odd bhp 3 series and it feels normal. You know it's fast. You know it's the best in it's class. Yet something is missing.

You say never again. Even though it was awesome It was a waste of money. Your pocket is lighter and you have nothing to show for it except for a few naughty vids on ur phone. You realise you have now landed back on planet earth.

You get the phone out and search autotrader looking at "options" for maybe replacing the 3 series and secretly wishing you get to do that again soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Wasn't a white M3 by any chance Guy? I had a "race" with one when I was up your neck of the woods in the summer on the A22 near Hailsham.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

This far I have to say I think I have just the right amount of power, though it's only a week since the remap so give me a few more weeks for the novelty to wear off and I'm sure I will be looking for more!

I have to say I now couldn't be happier with my car, I absolutely love it. The three modifications have changed the handling from so-so to great, the ride from good to fantastic, and the remap has changed the performance to outstanding!

In this weeks Autocar, Steve Sutcliffe is waxing lyrical about his D3... saying much the same things I feel about my car- the perfect all rounder. I prefer the xdrive but otherwise my mods have gone some way to giving me a similar experience to the D3, except probably the nicer materials on the inside. But they're main changes are better springs (they keep the stock dampers), more power, and non runflats... They do have some other suspension tweaks in bushes and geometry so I'm sure it's a little better still, but I didn't pay Alpina money for mine!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

It was a white one Andy - he lives round the corner from me. Have to say he was a very responsible driver. Very refreshing.

Terry - you will get used to it and become blasé about your car's (astonishing) capabilities. I always try to spend some time in the Disco or one of the Minis to put things into perspective. Hell it's quicker than my new Italian toy (although nowhere near as emotional). Problem is it's too damn good and I can see where Sutcliffe is coming from. BUT one always wants more......

I've had cars that scared me (Stripped Exige with supercharged chargecooled 370bhp lump being one - quite a lot for 690kgs) and I guess I'm getting too old for that malarkey.

Keep coming back to that AWD Jag XE-R..... Sod the fuel consumption - what a car!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Could well be the same one Guy! I was going northbound on the A22 and he turned right towards Chandlers. He was behind me, I obviously couldn't pull away from him - but prob gave him a reasonable run for his money!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

That AWD XE -R may also come with a manual box, as the F Type AWD will have a manual option.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
It's like a cocaine binge.

Initially it's the best feeling in the world, but as time passes it stops feeling great.

Rent a supercar for a weekend. Pick it up Friday afternoon, by the evening your comfortable with it. By Saturday night your seeing how it is to launch and in race mode, Corsa mode, etc. By Sunday afternoon you have mastered it.

Then comes Monday and the final drive it like it's stolen drive to hand it back. Keys get handed over, paperwork gets done and suddenly you have come back down to earth. You are now depressed and need something to help you go to sleep.

You jump into your 300 odd bhp 3 series and it feels normal. You know it's fast. You know it's the best in it's class. Yet something is missing.

You say never again. Even though it was awesome It was a waste of money. Your pocket is lighter and you have nothing to show for it except for a few naughty vids on ur phone. You realise you have now landed back on planet earth.

You get the phone out and search autotrader looking at "options" for maybe replacing the 3 series and secretly wishing you get to do that again soon.
I have the perfect cure: every weekend I tootle around in the defender and/or jeep. Monday morning the 335 feels super quick again
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Whilst I recognise my car's hardly slow, I'm used to it now and a bit more oomph wouldn't go amiss - the car could easily take it and in fact more power has made the xDrive drivetrain a lot more fun. Just wish I had that RS ACS setup to keep up

Today's been a crap day and after 14 hours in office a clearing of mind was needed. Had to pop down to Maplins which involves few roundabouts and bypasses. So a little bit of 'spirited' driving - nothing dangerous - just playing.

Anyhoos on way back end up behind E92 M3. Car in front pulled over but we were both only really going to briefly blat after that (I like my licence and he was either a very sensible chap or wasn't sure if I was unmarked plod in grey 3 series) so just hoped he was going same way as me! Could see I wasn't plod at next stop. Off next runabout I was a bit forward (too much damn traction) so had to back off. From then at about 45ish up to a respectable speed there was really not a lot in it (except he made the most GORGEOUS noise hitch I didn't). Both backed off. Thumbs and smiles at next runabout and off home I went.

Was interesting as first time I've met an E92 in the dry when xDrive counts a lot less (although I can still get the back out in dry with a healthy stab and no question I've got more traction).

Still want more oomph though
Funny isn't it. How we always want more oomph. How much is "enough"? It has long since ceased to be about reduced journey times. The constraint on that is never the power of the car.

I think it will go on until any more acceleration actually hurts. After a day out at Thorpe Park a couple of years ago, I realised how far we have to go. The Stealth roller coaster accelerates from 0-85 mph in 1.5 seconds. After a few goes in that you start finding it a bit meh. So it is with our cars. Since none of us will ever have a car able deliver that kind of acceleration, it tells me that however much we have, we will always want more.

Part of the problem is how darned civilised our cars are. Every aspect of their design is designed to reduce the perception of force.

The exception proving the rule is my second car, a cooper s jcw. This little kart has 208 bhp and delivers it with a quite raw, visceral sense of drama, overloading every one of your senses in the process. Somehow it rarely leaves me wanting more oomph...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #12
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post
Funny isn't it. How we always want more oomph. How much is "enough"? It has long since ceased to be about reduced journey times. The constraint on that is never the power of the car.

I think it will go on until any more acceleration actually hurts. After a day out at Thorpe Park a couple of years ago, I realised how far we have to go. The Stealth roller coaster accelerates from 0-85 mph in 1.5 seconds. After a few goes in that you start finding it a bit meh. So it is with our cars. Since none of us will ever have a car able deliver that kind of acceleration, it tells me that however much we have, we will always want more.

Part of the problem is how darned civilised our cars are. Every aspect of their design is designed to reduce the perception of force.

The exception proving the rule is my second car, a cooper s jcw. This little kart has 208 bhp and delivers it with a quite raw, visceral sense of drama, overloading every one of your senses in the process. Somehow it rarely leaves me wanting more oomph...
That's the point: more oomph is not the answer, how what you have is delivered and used is what matters. We don't percieve speed very well, only change in speed, so a fast and very competent car going fast all the time is not very exciting. After all a 20mph go cart is more fun than flying 400mph in a commercial jet.

You can't reasonably expect something designed to cosset you at 150mph on an autobahn and allow you to drive several hundred miles in relative luxury in an environment intended to be safe, and get out the other end not feeling knackered to be massively exciting, no matter how much thrust you give it. (Unless you drive 0-100-0 every mile)

If you want adrenalin rushes save your money (seriously 300+bhp in a road car not enough?) and buy something much slower but much more raw and drive it on tracks at the weekends...I guarantee your "slow feeling" car will remain fresher.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 02:01 AM   #13
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post

That's the point: more oomph is not the answer, how what you have is delivered and used is what matters. We don't percieve speed very well, only change in speed, so a fast and very competent car going fast all the time is not very exciting. After all a 20mph go cart is more fun than flying 400mph in a commercial jet.

You can't reasonably expect something designed to cosset you at 150mph on an autobahn and allow you to drive several hundred miles in relative luxury in an environment intended to be safe, and get out the other end not feeling knackered to be massively exciting, no matter how much thrust you give it. (Unless you drive 0-100-0 every mile)

If you want adrenalin rushes save your money (seriously 300+bhp in a road car not enough?) and buy something much slower but much more raw and drive it on tracks at the weekends...I guarantee your "slow feeling" car will remain fresher.
Which is precisely why I take the Minis out. Neither's that quick but they are huge giggle to drive.

And I agree about comments about how power's delivered - nothing like the way a V8 keeps building and cranking round to past 8k.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #14
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

I have to say, a hot hatch of some sort is a great cure for this.

My 335d always left me wanting more, because it was so darn capable and cossetting.

My Focus leaves me thinking "thank god it only has 250bhp" because the chassis can barely deal with even that much. This means it is a real hoot to drive. And as it is so cheap, I can forgive it’s shortcomings and really love it.

I think an M135i/ 235i is probably the best bet for thrills in the BMW line-up right now. Weather the M2 will deliver more thrills, or will be as accomplished as an M3 (and hence not the answer we all want) remains to be seen.
When I test drove an M135i, it scared the crap out of me (at the time I was in a 2012 320d). The 335d never scared me, unless I was being reckless.

I don’t think the XK-E R is the answer either. It will just be more of the same, with a better sound track.

Guy, what is your Italian toy out of interest?
      11-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #15
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apl000? View Post

Guy, what is your Italian toy out of interest?
'95 Manual 355 GTS
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #16
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
'95 Manual 355 GTS
For f*ck sake

No post has warrented the use of that smiley more IMO.

F355 is beautyful! A propper Ferrari
      11-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #17
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Last year I had a MX5 track car (cost £2k) and an e92 M3 daily-driver. I had more fun in the MX5 - and it was at legal speeds.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #18
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

I'm not sure that straight line performance is the shortcut to a Cheshire cat grin?

Just thinking about my regular drives / ride.....

328i - usually get out feeling relaxed, especially after a long journey.

GSXR1000 - usually get off with a very wide eyed, somewhat vacant stare into the distance.

MX5 - invariably get out with a smile on my face, having travelled considerably slower than the two above.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
rokut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cosmic EP3 Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apl000? View Post
For f*ck sake

No post has warrented the use of that smiley more IMO.

F355 is beautyful! A propper Ferrari
+1

It is utter lunacy that we haven't seen this before! Here we are talking about 330 vs 335 and there's a F355 in your stable...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #20
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
I'm not sure that straight line performance is the shortcut to a Cheshire cat grin?
Ooo...I dunno, that time I wired up the boost controller on my Kawasaki turbo back to front and ran 32psi boost instead of 10psi I couldn't stop laughing...

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 02:18 AM   #21
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokut View Post
+1

It is utter lunacy that we haven't seen this before! Here we are talking about 330 vs 335 and there's a F355 in your stable...
Hah! Photo will have to wait I'm afraid as away travelling (and don't actually keep a photo of it in my wallet!).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #22
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Another tidbit from December's BMW Car magazine:

"at 1000rpm the Schnitzered X5 (M50d) is producing approximately 100lb/ft more torque than an E92 M3 can muster at its peak".

Handy if you have any tree stumps that need uprooting
Appreciate 0