E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Coding - Nightmare

11-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M sport

Coding - Nightmare

Hi All,

Pulling my hair out with this coding business on my 2008 CIC E92. Gone through two K+DCAN USB adaptors now. The first one appeared to work for about 10 mins (got black dots for battery and ignition) then windows decided it didn't know what the adaptor was any more and wouldn't install drivers for it. Red light constantly on even when not plugged into OBD.

Second adaptor purchased from a different seller on ebay (£30 odd as a pose to the first £12 adaptor) again plugged in and appeared to work first time round with INPA detecting dots for ignition etc. unplugged it for a min whilst walking back into house, plugged back in and same thing windows didn't wanna install drivers. Managed to get this one to install them manually with the FTDI drivers and the red light only lights up when plugged into OBD port now but INPA no longer see's ignition or battery. Its all set to COM1 etc. System is Windows 7 pro 64 bit. Can anyone confirm what cable I should be using / most reliable etc? surely I cant have gone through two cables from different sellers which are similar but not quite the same (internals inside the opaque plastic look slightly different) and different prices too?

All im trying to do is enable Logic 7 really fed up with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome9x View Post
disable the antivirus and try again
No AV install, fresh build
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Forget about the dots. What EDIABAS error are you getting when trying to actually do anything with INPA / NCSEXPERT?

I presume IFH-00009?

Cheap cables are often hit and miss. However you should double check your COM port settings. COM1 already in use? Latency set to '1'

Google DCAN tools. It's a small app which can help you configure the OBD.ini correctly. Also check out 'EasyKonnect'.

Make sure you are using the latest BMW Standard Tools.

If else fails just buy an ICOM clone for a couple of hundred Pounds.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Spend the extra & buy a decent cable..... the cheap ones are crap & it's just a matter of time until they pack up!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Attached is the error i get when trying to do pretty much anything in INPA using e90 v1.32

TBH id happily just pay a coder in the north west as ill never need to go near this again once i get logic 7 working. already wasted days on it and spent around £40 on these two cables
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #6
ArsE92
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE

Drive down to Dartford and get Makkan to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Your software install must be wrong. Wipe everything and install it again. I recommend "BMW CODING PACK MAY 2013".

(You need to download EXX.ipo separately)

Once that's done just download the latest E89 sp-daten (v54.0 I think) and use "BMW CODING TOOL 2.50" to install.

You cannot go wrong this way.

Or wait for someone to offer to remotely help you. Whatever.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 04:43 AM   #8
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Your software install must be wrong. Wipe everything and install it again. I recommend "BMW CODING PACK MAY 2013".

(You need to download EXX.ipo separately)

Once that's done just download the latest E89 sp-daten (v54.0 I think) and use "BMW CODING TOOL 2.50" to install.

You cannot go wrong this way.

Or wait for someone to offer to remotely help you. Whatever.
It might be worth a shot but tbh I've tried installing a few times using different guides. Its also odd how both adaptors worked for around 5 - 10 mins and then appear to have fallen over. Both are the USB K+DCAN with opaque plastic from EBay. the cheaper 12 quid one looks as though it might be the cheaper Chinese copy but the £30 one has stickers in different locations and looks slightly different on the PCB. Both have a white PCB.

Anyone up for taking a look? WIFI will reach to my car
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

www.cable-shack.co.uk sell cables that actually work. I can remote in to help if required.

PM me.
      11-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
www.cable-shack.co.uk sell cables that actually work. I can remote in to help if required.

PM me.
Much Appreciated Wibbles.

I actually ended up using a professional coder using Autologic to code in my logic 7 which has been spot on but as above I do appreciate your offer. I may check out cable shack.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0