F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ConnectedDrive help
Extreme Powerhouse

11-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
G20 WestMid
Private
Rep
Drives: White F30 M Sport

ConnectedDrive help

hi there guys, im a bit confused with the Connected Drive system. i have been in my mates bmw and his bmw online looks way better then mines he can go on youtube and so on. i used my bmw online today and it wasn't nothing like his. i cant really do anything with mines.

any ideas why and how i can make mines work like my mates?

i have a screen printed a picture of how i thought my bmw online would be.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30 AAR
hi there guys, im a bit confused with the Connected Drive system. i have been in my mates bmw and his bmw online looks way better then mines he can go on youtube and so on. i used my bmw online today and it wasn't nothing like his. i cant really do anything with mines.

Did he pay for the internet option?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
G20 WestMid
Private
Rep

I'm not to sure. I will have to find out.

The thing is I have paid for the bmw online on my f30 which is a 62reg. So I was thing I would have the Internet Browser option or do you have to pay extra for Internet browser?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30 AAR View Post
I'm not to sure. I will have to find out.

The thing is I have paid for the bmw online on my f30 which is a 62reg. So I was thing I would have the Internet Browser option or do you have to pay extra for Internet browser?
You had to pay around £95 extra I believe. I think your car would have had 2G internet given its age, which is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. More recent ones have 3G. They always seem about 4 years behind.

You can get 4G - for that you need an iPad and some Blu Tack
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

The Internet option was under £100 (from memory) when I ordered my car so ticked the box. If it it any comfort, it really is a bit of a waste of time. Entering web addresses is very slow but not as slow as the response time. I think it is based on a 2G service. Only used it a couple of times and one on those was to show a mate how I could get realtime share portfolio valuations on the move and on the screen.

If you have 4G on your iPhone, it is far faster and easier to use.

In short, don't worry about not having it, just feel sorry for you mate who wasted £100!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
G20 WestMid
Private
Rep

Thank you for the reply guys. That's all I needed to know thanks once again.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

What would be cool is if you could mirror your smartphone screen to your idrive screen. Probably not possible with an iphone due to the fact Apple force you to buy Apple TV for any kind of mirroring, but I'd have thought it possible with an Andoid phone, if BMW decided to implement it.

Thinking about it, its in BMWs interest not to want to do this else people will just use sat nav apps and send the output to the idrive. Therefore people would not buy built in nav.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:42 AM   #8
JB14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 320D MSport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
What would be cool is if you could mirror your smartphone screen to your idrive screen. Probably not possible with an iphone due to the fact Apple force you to buy Apple TV for any kind of mirroring, but I'd have thought it possible with an Andoid phone, if BMW decided to implement it.

Thinking about it, its in BMWs interest not to want to do this else people will just use sat nav apps and send the output to the idrive. Therefore people would not buy built in nav.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=740015

I believe you can Dopper. I found this when trawling for info a couple of months back.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #9
JB14
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Must admit this is what I thought I was getting with pronav. Didn't realise you had to add Internet as well.

Anyone know if it can be added as a dealer option for the £95?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post

Apple are introducing Apple Car Play that will allow this. BMW are obviously behind others but it will be coming in future models. One problem for them is that it will lose media and satnav sales.

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/carplay/
      11-08-2014, 06:11 AM   #11
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsojon View Post
Apple are introducing Apple Car Play that will allow this. BMW are obviously behind others but it will be coming in future models. One problem for them is that it will lose media and satnav sales.

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/carplay/
This works on the New C class. It's quite cool.

Someone in the far east did have a device that ports your iphone onto your NBT. There was a thread on it in the main forum ages ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
G20 WestMid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB14 View Post
Must admit this is what I thought I was getting with pronav. Didn't realise you had to add Internet as well.

That's what I didn't realise I know some of the guys have said it's rubbish. But it would be nice to have.

I have called them up but the service team was busy. They will call me back and I will let you know what they say.

Bmw customers service teams computers have been down since early morning. So they can't help with this information.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
JB14
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB14 View Post

That's what I didn't realise I know some of the guys have said it's rubbish. But it would be nice to have.

I have called them up but the service team was busy. They will call me back and I will let you know what they say.

Bmw customers service teams computers have been down since early morning. So they can't help with this information.
Any news on this?
Appreciate 0