E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY SIRIUS Install without Satellite Prep ( no SA 693 )

01-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
loopsandsounds
Rep
Drives: X7M50, GT3RS, Taycan, Raptor

DIY SIRIUS Install without Satellite Prep ( no SA 693 )

If you've ended up here, you ordered/received your car without the $75 satellite prep option (SA 693). At some point you decided to wanted factory SIRIUS satellite radio, went to the dealer, and they informed you that satellite radio could not be retrofitted to your car, as it did not have the satellite prep option. It took me a month of digging for information, waiting for software upgrades, and trial and error, but I've successfully installed the BMW factory satellite radio in a NON satellite prepped E90. Hopefully this guide will guide any adventurous DIY'ers to a successful install.

First things first:

1. Please read the WHOLE DIY before you begin. The process has to be done in a specific order.

2. The whole process will take at least 2 visits to your local service center for software upgrades.

3. The install was performed on a US E90 (330xi). I don't know if this method will work for Canadian cars...and I don't think the rest of the world has SIRIUS.

4. This install requires an external antenna. It does NOT use the shark fin. (more about this later)

5. After the install, you will NOT have the option of installing the CD changer (unless you remove the satellite radio)

6. This install does require a fair amount of disassembly, and potential damage to your vehicles wiring harness. If you don't feel confident disassembling wiring harnesses, this job ISN'T for you.

Tools and Materials:

1. BMW SIRIUS receiver p/n 65 12 6 948 064, includes a 1 year (12 months) subscription. I got mine private sale for $375, you can get one here:

http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/sirius/sirius-e90.htm

2. SIR-MINI or SIR3 SIRIUS antenna, includes cable. Look online. I got my SIR3 with the splitter listed below for $30 shipped on eBay.

3. SIR-SP SIRIUS splitter (splits the antenna into dual connections for BMW receiver)

4. T25 Torx bit/socket

5. Razor blade/utility knife

6. Interior fastener remover (a large screwdriver can substitute)

7. Small scredriver

8. Double stick tape (3M molding ahesive tape)

9. The name of your local service center manager

10. A 6 pack for your local service center manager

Assuming you can get your hands on the above items, lets start in.

Phase 1.

VERY IMPORTANT. Take your car to BMW. Request a software upgrade to the latest code for all installed options. Let them know that you will be installing the factory SIRIUS radio DIY and need the software upgraded before you do the install. Depending on how well you know your services center/how cool the SA is, you may want to let them know what you have planned. I happened to have my alarm installed at the same time. ($400 total for the alarm installed) You'll notice that the radio and key memory settings are gone, but don't bother resetting everything, as they are going to get blown away again at the end.

Phase 2.

Once you've gotten the software upgraded, now it's time to tear apart your new E90. First thing we need to do is reroute your fiber optic cabling bus (known as MOST cabling from here on is).

In order to get at the MOST cabling, you need to remove your driver’s side rear seat bolster. I had the fold down seats, which made this process easier, but I assume its the same for either type of rear seat. Basically just grip the top of the bolster near the seatbelt, and pull straight out. The bolster will come out, and then you need to lift up to release the bottom prongs. Once you have the bolster off it should look like this:

The MOST system works on a loop topology, and all audio devices in your car are part of this loop. You need to add the CD changer cabling into this loop. I used the instructions found in the BMW factory SIRIUS retrofit guide, taken from the pages of this fine forum. I recommend reading the whole document, (found here: http://www.e90post.com/goodiesforyou...iriusRadio.pdf ) but I'll repost the details you'll need at this step below. CAUTION: You are going to be touching fiber cabling, don't bend it sharply! I also recommend labeling ALL the cables before you rearrange them.

Once that is done, don't reassemble the bolster yet. Pull off your CD changer cover in the trunk on the driver’s side, and reach in to pull out the CD changer cable that should be covered in velcroed protective felt. You should have just enough slack to pull out the cable, take off the felt, and connect your SIRIUS unit. At this point insert your key and turn the radio on. If you get NO sound, and a slash over the SOS on your BMW ASSIST (if equipped) you have connected the MOST cabling wrong. Don't go any further till you get your radio working again.

NOTE: I couldn't get mine working following the BMW routing instructions so if the doc doesn't work, here is how I routed mine:

I actually left the system on and connected all the cables till light showed up on the last cable...which meant I have completed the loop.

You will not see SAT show up in your audio options, but with the reciever plugged in and the radio working, you are ready for the next phase. You can put the seat bloster back on if you are confident you have it right.

Phase 3.

Now you need to run a SIRIUS antenna for your radio, as you didn't get a SIRIUS antenna in your sharkfin without satellite prep. Have no fear, we can hide it well...it doesn't have to mar the outside appearance of your car. I put mine on the rear decklid, on the INSIDE of the car, and it works great. Here is how I did it. You'll notice 3 tie down clips on the rear deck lid. On the center one, lift the clip up, and unscrew the torx bolt: (the pic is after the cable is run but you get the idea)

It's got a fine thread, so it will take a while. Once it is unscrewed, you should be able to lift it out. This is how the wire is going to go from the inside of the car to the trunk.
You'll need to remove the end clip on the antenna cabling by pulling the lock clip off. Just lift out the little clip with a razor blade:

Once its off it will look like this:

Now the end of the cable is small enough to fit through the whole on the side of the tie down clip, route it like so:

Once you've got the cable through the tie down run it though the whole into the trunk. You'll have to reach up inside to catch the end and pull the excess through. Pull all the slack through, and put the tie down clip back in place, with the antenna in roughly the positing you want it. Don't tighten the tie down’s bolt yet if you want to do some final repositioning after the install:

Put the antenna end clip back on, and let the slack hang in the trunk for now. You're ready for phase 4.

Phase 4.

Unfortunately, even though you connected your SIRIUS unit to test in phase 2 to test, you can't just leave your receiver floating around in the trunk, so you're going to pull that CD changer cable to the factory satellite radio install position in the center of the trunk, (next to the assist telematics unit if you have it) where its going to meet your antenna and splitter to get plugged in and installed for good. In order to do this however, you'll need to partially disassemble your trunk, and pick the CD Changer cables out of the rear harness. First, pull the trunk floor up. Then, using a large screwdriver or a specifically made interior fastener remover, remove the 3 plugs that hold the drivers side interior trunk panel on. (pull the center out first, then pull the plug out) Next, remove the tie down clip (same torx as the deck lid one. you should be able to pull the panel away from the side. Instead of removing any other parts, I just pulled the panel towards the center and down, and made enough room to squeak in to do the job. Ah there's our green CD changer cabling and the harness we're going to have to disassemble:

Oops...looks like I hit my attachment limit. I'll finish this in a reply!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
loopsandsounds
Rep

Continued from above...
Further out so you can see the whole harness:

Now that you can reach in, I'll describe the hardest part of the install. You need to cut every tape wrap that hold the cabling in place up to the top of the wheel well. Do this VERY carfully, as there's a lot more wires here than just your radios. You might run into the snag of having the cables intertwined with others that don't need to be pulled, so you may have to disassemble the end of the CD changer cable (look for the little tabs on the power and fiber connections, it all comes apart). Once you've cut the CD cable out of the harness enough to run it to the center of the trunk, slide it UNDER the trunk panel. Grab your antenna cable as well, and run it along the trunk ceiling, down behind the trunk panel, and back to the same spot as you've pulled the cables, making sure to get all the extra slack out. Retape your harness, and wrestle the trunk panel back into place, replacing all of the fasteners and the trunk tie down clip.

You'll want the cables to end up in a position like this:

Phase 5
Great. Now that you have all of your cables in place, you need to customize your splitter to attach to receiver unit, and install your receiver. The splitter connections only go on one way, but the BMW receiver has a funky connector type that won't let the connections seat properly. Not to worry, we're going to customize it! Take your razor blade and shave both connectors lock clips off. Next, lengthen the slit on each connector another 1/4" to allow the unit to fully seat on the receiver. You'll know when it’s right, it will tension clip on the unit without even needing a locking clip.

Now take your double stick tape, and attach your receiver in place on the drivers side trunk well.
Attach your antenna and rerouted CD Changer cabling:

Make sure that everything is connected, and put your trunk floor back in.
Up on top of the deck lid, get your antenna in the spot where you want it, and tighten the tie down clip. I used the adhesive strip supplied with the SIR3 to affix mine in the final position:

Once the car is buttoned back up, take your vehicle back to the service center. Let them know that you have installed the factory SIRIUS radio and would like the car retrofit coded for SIRIUS. 30 Minutes and $65 later, voila:

Make sure to activate your SIRIUS by calling the number on your screen, and let them know you want your free year!
Attached Images

Last edited by loopsandsounds; 01-07-2006 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Matbrach
Trophy Husband - Honorable Mention
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 330i. X5 4.8

Awesome!

Thanks for the write-up - a true service to us nosatpreps...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
kbecker
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330ci

Satellite Radio prep.

I read your post regarding installing Sirius in a non-prep car. I had the dealer install it in my car and it doesn't work. The display says "No Channel No." then "ESN" and then "NO ESN." So I can't activate it because I don't have the ESN and cannot find the receiver. I looked at the BMW instructions and my part numbers are different than what they list. They also put the antenna on the trunk deck. I sent them your post and that I wanted the antenna on the inside. Anyway, any idea why I have no ESN on the radio and where is the receiver mounted?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
loopsandsounds
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbecker
I read your post regarding installing Sirius in a non-prep car. I had the dealer install it in my car and it doesn't work. The display says "No Channel No." then "ESN" and then "NO ESN."
That doesn't sound right, it probably means the satellite reciever isn't being recognized. Even without and antenna you should see the ESN number of the unit show up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbecker
Anyway, any idea why I have no ESN on the radio and where is the receiver mounted?
The receiver should have been mounted in the trunk, lift up your trunk lid and it should be on the left hand side.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
crvgt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Garage List
Sirius Activation

A question - after the receiver is installed and the MOST cables are moved around, will the SAT option appear in the NAV display? I just finished install, but have not brought it back to dealer for coding and activation yet. I don't see the SAT option in the display yet - which I think is correct at this stage....is this right? Car was pre-wired for Sirius.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
crvgt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Garage List
I'll answer my own question

As an FYI, the SAT indicator will not appear in the NAV screen until the car is reprogrammed by the dealer. The way to tell if the radio is correctly installed in the audio "loop" is to unplug the radio, and an SOS indicator will appear in the dash display. You will also see light coming from the end of the same MOST cable that plugs into the radio. Plug the cable back into the radio, and the SOS disappears.

The dealer charged me 1 hour's labor for the reprogramming. My car came with SAT prep, so the installation can be done prior to the reprogramming/software upgrade (which is different from an installation done without SAT prep as indicated in the DIY instructions above). The SA mentioned that I was the first person to have brought an installed radio into them that worked without them having to intervene.....

Thanks to "loops and sounds" for this excellent DIY thread - especially the pictures of the MOST cable configuration! I could not have done it with the BMW instructions alone.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 11:48 PM   #8
metinson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Updated Instructions

UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS

First allow me to congratulate "loopsandsounds" for this very well documented explanation of how to install without sat prep. I just completed the job on my 330xi in Montreal. The dealer charged 1.5 hrs to code the radio and everything is working perfectly. I would like to offer the following revisions to the instructions if your car is mfg. after 03/06 you need to order 65 12 6 987 545. Circle BMW does not ship into Canada so I used Tischer BMW in Maryland - had to call them to finalize the order but the pricing was better than Circle and shipping was very reasonable ($20 for the order). Here are a few corrections..

1) The new radio only has one antenna input so you DO NOT REQUIRE THE ANTENNA SPLITTER - just the Antenna.
2) My car required a T-30 Tork ratchet head , not a T-25 to remove the Baby-Seat anchor and the rear panel.
3) The MOST wiring instructions contained in the attached instructions (Version 2.0) were the only ones that worked in my car and I suggest you follow them. My car is equipped with bluetooth and BMW assist - everything except the radio failed until I followed the attached instructions (Steps 7-17).
4) Do not buy the installation kit as there is not enough cable from the re-routed CD-Chager cable to reach the RHS of the Sirius radio - follow the pictures above and use double sided tape to anchor the radio.

As a general comment it would have been an easier install if someone could figure a safe way to put the Sirius receiver where the CD Changer goes - this way you could avoid the cable re-routing altogether...

Anyways that's it - I'm super pleased with the result and my local dealer was more than co-operative to help finish the job -I gave him a copy of the last 3 pages of the attached so he would know exactly how to code the radio -- thanks again !!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Sat-EBADoc942.pdf (289.7 KB, 2842 views)
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
danpen
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

2 reprograms?

Out of curiosity, why the two reprograms? What happens if you do the physical install and then go to get the reprogramming done?

I have a 325i made in May '06.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
loopsandsounds
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpen View Post
Out of curiosity, why the two reprograms? What happens if you do the physical install and then go to get the reprogramming done?

I have a 325i made in May '06.
You need a base level coding to prep your car for the install, then the install, then the coding for satellite radio. If your car is newer, you may have the base software already, but the only way to know is to take it to BMW first, and tell them you are doing a sat radio install. BMW made me disconnect everything and put it back to factory default to do the first upgrade, then I reconnected and got the sat coding.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Attack

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
anyone know if the SAT antenna works through heavy tint?
      05-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

thats awesome great write up....seems a bit hard though i think i'd mess up somewhere thats to much work for me
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
i cannot figure out the positioning of the fiberoptic cables... here is a pic of my setup i only have a few connections. what do i move or add? im confused! lol help asap thanks!
Attached Images

05-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #14
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
did my best and radio is working... im asuming that means i did it correctly?
      06-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
needabmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi TI/SP/PP/NAV/Blue

Question: Why do you need the "external" sat attenna? Cant this be integrated into the fin?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 03:10 PM   #16
bruno75
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

nice DIY... i gather that doing all this takes a certain degree of patience, i'm sure. sure wish i had read this before i got a stiletto 2 at sirius.com/freeradio... but i'm all set already and wouldn't have had the patience to do this anyway. FWIW, great job
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #17
kurtdaniel
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

great write up..very informative…that would help me a lot.,ive read more diys on haynes repair manual,,unfortunately it doesn’t have many pics as this..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 10-26-2009 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
How do you get to the MOST block if you don't have folding rear seats?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #19
goldstarQC
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325xi '06

Question 325xi '06 - Sirius question...

Hi all,

I have a 325xi 2006 (build date 12/2005). I already know that I need the part number that ends with 064 for the Sirius module. My question is, Can I use the cables of the TCU (I don't have one and do not plan to add it anytime soon). I can see the green + black connector like the one in this tutorial, but It miss the other one (red-brown).

I attached some pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
sna77
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Awesome thread!

I took my 2006 325i e90 w/o Sat prep down to my local indy BMW shop today. They used the autologic to update a number of modules on the car. Took about 4-5 hours. When it was done, we plugged in the Sirius module, flashed to Sirius... Grabbed a Sirius antenna from an e46, plugged it in, and voila! Everything works great.

Thanks, great DIY!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #21
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: e30 325i

Wow! Talk about details, I think I will burn the car after I attempt this, but I think I rather pay. lol Really detail explanations, but not for me, I thought I understood, but I got a headache after I finished reading the entire thread. Very nice DYI for those that are Mechanically incline, Unfortunately, I'm not.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
MainDeck
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 E24 6 Series

I'm slightly mechanically inclined, but this does seem to be pretty serious stuff. I wouldn't take it on until you're really serious about it. My dad has been consdering something like this for his E series. I think I might suggest skipping it. I might come home from college to find the garage burned down.
funny facebook status

Last edited by MainDeck; 04-22-2012 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0