BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental)

BPM

10-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Car suggestions

So I am officially moving to Berlin and selling off my cars here in the US. I don't know the European Car market very well and am looking for something vastly different than the M3. I am looking for a still sporty, but non expensive hatchback that gets good gas mileage. I don't want to spend my money on petrol but still want to have decent fun with the car. Lastly, I want to experience a car I can't get in the US. Does anyone have suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

I thought you'll bring your M3

How about a 4-banger BMW Diesel? Like a 320d Touring? It has incredible mileage (can make 35mpg easily in the city!), uses the cheaper type of fuel (Diesel is about 15% cheaper than Gasoline here), still has enough power for every day driving (especially torque), and has looots of space.
I don't think you guys get the 320d Touring over there.

Most people here drive German cars (Volkswagen, Opel, european Ford, BMW, Mercedes, Audi) and usually not the most exciting ones. Berlin is not really a place with lots of awesome cars (except in the south west part of town).

Also, keep in mind that a new 320d Touring costs in Germany almost as much as a new M3/M4 in the US. So it all depends on your budget.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz View Post
I thought you'll bring your M3

How about a 4-banger BMW Diesel? Like a 320d Touring? It has incredible mileage (can make 35mpg easily in the city!), uses the cheaper type of fuel (Diesel is about 15% cheaper than Gasoline here), still has enough power for every day driving (especially torque), and has looots of space.
I don't think you guys get the 320d Touring over there.

Most people here drive German cars (Volkswagen, Opel, european Ford, BMW, Mercedes, Audi) and usually not the most exciting ones. Berlin is not really a place with lots of awesome cars (except in the south west part of town).

Also, keep in mind that a new 320d Touring costs in Germany almost as much as a new M3/M4 in the US. So it all depends on your budget.
Budget is much lower. I don't want to invest in an awesome car while I am there. Plan on using public transportation most of the time but use the car to get back and forth to work, some road trips, etc. Plus it isn't a great investment since I will be only staying for a max of 3-5 years. Looking for something sporty but much cheaper (20-30k euros) most likely. Maybe a 118 or something?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

I'd go with the 120d over the 118d, it's more bang for your buck. Have you considered buying a used car? BMW sells some directly with great warranty (link, make sure to check the "BMW Premium Selection" box in the search form) but you can also check out www.mobile.de for lots of other opportunities (other dealers and private sellers), just make sure to tick the box that says "Country: Only Germany", otherwise it'll show you listings from people outside of Germany which you don't wanna look at.

Edit: If you REALLY want awesome bang for your buck, you can even consider a 123d... that thing is a beast for a 4-banger! But a little bit more expensive.

Last edited by ellekz; 10-30-2014 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz View Post
I'd go with the 120d over the 118d, it's more bang for your buck. Have you considered buying a used car? BMW sells some directly with great warranty (link) but you can also check out www.mobile.de for lots of other opportunities (other dealers and private sellers), just make sure to tick the box that says "Country: Only Germany", otherwise it'll show you listings from people outside of Germany which you don't wanna look at.

Edit: If you REALLY want awesome bang for your buck, you can even consider a 123d... that thing is a beast for a 4-banger! But a little bit more expensive.
Awesome! Used is fine by me - let someone else take the depreciation hit! Thank you very much for the info and websites. Will peruse these!
Appreciate 0