E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Lowering 335xi Im Lost.

10-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i XDrive E90 2010

Lowering 335xi Im Lost.

I was reading about changing spings out and saw people talking about "Rake" I dont know what this is could someone explain? Also Would you recommend getting the regular 335i lowering springs or the xi springs. People say that the i eliminates the "rake"
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
RennenPerformance
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Rake essentially is when the rear of the car sits higher than the front. With the HR sport springs for XI cars your not talking a huge difference. About 1.3 front and 1.2 in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Rake is when the the front end of the car sits lower than the back end due to how the suspension is setup. Our cars have more of a reverse rake where the front end sits higher than the back. The reverse rake is more noticeable on the e92 than the e90.

If you're going the shock and spring route, people generally get the i springs. In many cases xi springs are not even made specifically for our cars, but the i's fit.

In my opinion, since our cars have a reverse rake and i springs are made for the rwd version without the rake, when they're put on an xi it lowers the car, but it still has a slight reverse rake. That's the main reason I went with coilovers since they can be adjusted to whatever height you want. If you search around here there are some people who have found a good solution to eliminating the rake with springs, particularly on the e90.
      10-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

You have basically 2 options; coilovers and springs. Coilovers are a good route but tend to ride a little rougher than some springs (like the Eibach). I feel the Eibach and Koni's are the best ride with a lowered look. The coilovers might be a little harsher, but have many pros over the springs

If you don't want reverse rake and want to go with springs you may want to check this thread out. I am considering swapping my Bilstein struts out with a set of these custom Koni's.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=957789
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i xDrive

I don't want to hijack the thread but I started to look at suspension setup (due to one of my shock presenting a very small bending start).

1. Do you guys recommend bilstein shock or Koni yellow shock with lowered spring ?
2. From my understanding the best spring option would be the i model Eibach prokit do you recommend anything else (read the H&R are VERY harsh to ride with)
3. Do I need a brand new mount kit when changing the shock (car currently has 110k km and swap will be done after winter) ?

Keep in mind my car runs 365 days a year and don't want to go to a coilover setup and don't want an insane drop. Just remove some rake and improve handling (anyway BMW quoted me almost 1000$ (CAD) for 2 front shock and it would be around the same price to change all 4 corners to new shocks and lowered spring.

Thank you (and hope it will help OP as well)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Momukhamo
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_k20 View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread but I started to look at suspension setup (due to one of my shock presenting a very small bending start).

1. Do you guys recommend bilstein shock or Koni yellow shock with lowered spring ?
2. From my understanding the best spring option would be the i model Eibach prokit do you recommend anything else (read the H&R are VERY harsh to ride with)
3. Do I need a brand new mount kit when changing the shock (car currently has 110k km and swap will be done after winter) ?

Keep in mind my car runs 365 days a year and don't want to go to a coilover setup and don't want an insane drop. Just remove some rake and improve handling (anyway BMW quoted me almost 1000$ (CAD) for 2 front shock and it would be around the same price to change all 4 corners to new shocks and lowered spring.

your first option people recommended me to do that also but i decided to get BC BR COILOVERS instead

i only decided to get coilovers because BC COILS is about the same price when u buy lowering springs and new shocks

i paid 1200 installed for coilovers

and it's adjustable you dont have to drop it really low.

not to mention BC BR COILOVERS are really for RWD but it fits XI you just cant slam the front so it might just work out for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:

I have Bilstein and they suck IMO. If your going to get a strut, get Koni's.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Just thought I'd share this somewhere. Just got an email; free shipping on new ST AWD coils. Someone should try them!

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_E9...ance_Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
chillbil79
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Sedan

I've got eibach pro kit lowering springs with koni's. As soon as I find time to install I'll post pics.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momukhamo View Post
your first option people recommended me to do that also but i decided to get BC BR COILOVERS instead

i only decided to get coilovers because BC COILS is about the same price when u buy lowering springs and new shocks

i paid 1200 installed for coilovers

and it's adjustable you dont have to drop it really low.

not to mention BC BR COILOVERS are really for RWD but it fits XI you just cant slam the front so it might just work out for you.
Thanks but not really looking into coilover option as the setup will be daily driven and harsh winter condition + coilover is not a great choice from many rusted setup i've seen. DO you run these in winter ? If so how are they after seeing some snow and salt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillbil79 View Post
I've got eibach pro kit lowering springs with koni's. As soon as I find time to install I'll post pics.
How do you like the ride quality ? Did you require to buy a new mount kit ? Thank you

Last edited by max_k20; 10-28-2014 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
Momukhamo
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

Quote:
Thanks but not really looking into coilover option as the setup will be daily driven and harsh winter condition + coilover is not a great choice from many rusted setup i've seen. DO you run these in winter ? If so how are they after seeing some snow and salt ?

How do you like the ride quality ? Did you require to buy a new mount kit ? Thank you
i like the ride quality its not so stiff or soft plus i can adjust that... coilovers set came with evething i need to be installed.

no problem with snow/salt but i heard some coilovers makes noise or something maybe because of the salt.

never had that issues with all my previous cars with coilovers car wash thats the key lol

and anti-freeze when u install your coilovers
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Quote:

I've had both the bilstein/eibach combo and I'm running on kw v1's right now. IMO the kw's are much smoother for me even with the Ny winters and ice storms. No rust whatsoever either. Obviously no "rake" either since I can adjust the height to my desire

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuriPanda View Post
I was reading about changing spings out and saw people talking about "Rake" I dont know what this is could someone explain? Also Would you recommend getting the regular 335i lowering springs or the xi springs. People say that the i eliminates the "rake"
You want to read these threads to make an informed decision:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857285
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664385

I chose the KW V1 coilovers and am very happy with them. My car here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984965
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

KW V1 for me as well. I was originally going to go with a spring and shock combo but couldn't pass up on the KWs when they had a rebate on them. The ride is pretty good in my opinion and I live in an area with pot holes, and uneven pavement on every block.
      01-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
eastcoast335xi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuriPanda View Post
i springs won't work, you HAVE to get XI springs....

Forget springs, get KW coil overs, you won't regret it
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #16
bigbootysuperduty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

From my readings here on this, and a few other sites. I springs will work on XDrive, but the struts are different. The rear suspension is the same, the front is what changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #17
E94
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I am running H&R Sport springs and Bilstein Sport shocks, both X-Drive specific.

There is a slight rake, but its not noticeable and it doesn't bother me at all.

Heres a side pic

Ride is pretty rough though. But that was kind of expected.

Heres a link to some more angles incase you were interested

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028810
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:10 AM   #18
angel_rod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335xi sedan

What happens if I don't get new shocks how long will they last
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #19
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
Rep

After recommendations and evaluations of my budget (and stupid USD-CAD exchange rate right now) I went with koni yellow and eibach prokit ! Can't wait to get those (as the guy first ordered front strut for i instead of xdrive). So waiting on these and will be installed in the next few weeks. Thanks guyz
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #20
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Quote:
After recommendations and evaluations of my budget (and stupid USD-CAD exchange rate right now) I went with koni yellow and eibach prokit ! Can't wait to get those (as the guy first ordered front strut for i instead of xdrive). So waiting on these and will be installed in the next few weeks. Thanks guyz
I'm in the market, I'm really considering this. Let me know what you paid and how it looks and rides, very curious.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #21
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone
Quote:
I'm in the market, I'm really considering this. Let me know what you paid and how it looks and rides, very curious.
Will be getting those on monday and expect a couple weeks before I can go and fet those installed !
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #22
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
Finally managed to find some time that the shop is available too, install will be done on friday the 17th ! Send me a PM later and I'll give you pix and info at that time ! Thanks
Appreciate 0