THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Enhanced USB & Bluetooth Integration

10-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Enhanced USB & Bluetooth Integration

I posted this on another board too so to those of you who are reading both boards (probably most of you), I apologize.
I have searched everywhere and read everything I could find but it all seems to be very vague about what this $500 option is (and why I might need or want it). Can anyone who has it tell me what it gives you especially since it's my understanding that on the 2015's streaming music is standard? Also, does anyone else think it's strange that you're paying $2,150 for a tech package and then have to augment it with another $500 option?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
qballis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp xdrive

Can't you click it on the build my BMW website and it explains it?

My understanding is you're pretty much adding A2DP Streaming capability.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

I myself didn't get it on my 2015 228i I'm not exactly sure what it does other than stream your music but I can do it through my iPhone on my Bluetooth without having the advanced. When I sat down with my dealer he pretty much asked if I was interested in it and I quickly said no without asking any questions. I don't do much office work in my car and I use my iPod and iPhone to play my music with the Y cable so it doesn't seem like I'm missing anything important
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
ryanrule
Rep
Drives: n/a

Sales guy told me it was pretty much useless if you connect with Bluetooth. Main point of it is the snap in connection in the arm rest and using the cars cell phone antenna for better reception
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. Sounds pretty useless, especially for $500. I'm not even sure I want my phone in the armrest. I assume there's still a wire connection to charge the phone, right, even if it has to be done with the cigarette lighter? That's about all I need.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
Thanks for the replies. Sounds pretty useless, especially for $500. I'm not even sure I want my phone in the armrest. I assume there's still a wire connection to charge the phone, right, even if it has to be done with the cigarette lighter? That's about all I need.
There is a cigarette lighter and there is also an AUX and USB port in the armrest console to charge and play your music and you can control the music and phone features through the iDrive system so to spend $500 extra is pointless yes. I do not regret the choice to not get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
millertime
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

I did some pretty extensive research on this feature early on. If you also get the technology package, it gets you:
- secondary microphone
- Mobile Office (text message and e-mail via bluetooth, calendar access if phone is plugged in)
- pair a 2nd device simultaneously via bluetooth
- message dictation

If you get the option without tech package, all you get is improved cell reception and a phone charger (and no armrest storage). Plug you have to buy your phone's adapter for another $300. So, basically useless without tech package.

The main selling feature would probably be Mobile Office - having the car dictate your SMS and e-mail.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! I prefer to dictate to the car rather than have it dictate to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime View Post
I did some pretty extensive research on this feature early on. If you also get the technology package, it gets you:
- secondary microphone
- Mobile Office (text message and e-mail via bluetooth, calendar access if phone is plugged in)
- pair a 2nd device simultaneously via bluetooth
- message dictation

If you get the option without tech package, all you get is improved cell reception and a phone charger (and no armrest storage). Plug you have to buy your phone's adapter for another $300. So, basically useless without tech package.

The main selling feature would probably be Mobile Office - having the car dictate your SMS and e-mail.
Appreciate 0