THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Be Careful of Who You Hit When Fleeing the Scene!

10-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #1
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe

Be Careful of Who You Hit When Fleeing the Scene!

So my buddy calls me up a 9:00 AM this morning asking me if I had my buffer in my hands. I told him that I was waxing something but her name wasn't "car". Of all the nerve, he knows that I am either sleep or "working" that damn early in the morning! He's a bachelor too so he KNOWS better!

Here's what happened. He's turning into a parking lot and some guy with no license decides to pull out and swipe the back end of his car. Realizing what he did, the guy decides to run. Bad decision. My buddy is a detective with the local PD and he was driving his unmarked Charger with a HEMI. So he chases the guy for a block and pulls him over. I told him that it must be nice having a cop around when you need one!

Bottom line is, this bumper will need to painted in order to make it 100% perfect, which means that he would have to turn it in to the motor pool. He didn't want to do that because he knows that he would get a hooptie to drive while they take their time fixing his. He wasn't having any of that so he called me. Here's the damage he showed up with.

Damage like this is going to require a more aggressive polisher than the PC-7424XP if you want to fix it sometime this week. At the same time, a rotary polisher could have easily MELTED this rear fascia considering how flexible it is. Since he was in a hurry, I had to just blast the job out. So I broke out some 3M Perfect-It™ I Rubbing Compound, 3M Perfect-It™ II Machine Polish, a flat surfaced green pad, a flat surfaced white pad and my trusty ol' Flex-3401VRG.

A couple of things to note. Normally I would have washed and clayed that area, and wet sanded that remaining scratch out of the paint. However, due to time restraints, I just did the "hook a brutha' up" repair. If you saw the finished product, you wouldn't have ever known that this car was in an accident. I told him to make sure that he reported it to Car Fax.

Here's the final results.

And because you all know that I never fake the funk, here's the flash test.

He asked me what I wanted for the job. I told him to dance like Calvin & Hobbs. He said he'll meet me at Texas Roadhouse.

My Lord, I would have loved to seen the face of that guy when his rear view mirror filled up with Christmas lights!

That's all folks!

The Junkman
      10-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Thank you sir.
      10-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Amazing...and I am in awe. Thanks for product review as well. What's next now, walking on water? That it would seem be easier....LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
Amazing...and I am in awe. Thanks for product review as well. What's next now, walking on water? That it would seem be easier....LOL
How about fixing this? A semi threw a retread at my car in the middle of the night...

10-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

For you I suspect, Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy!!!!!! Though the broken bits below might be beyond mere pad work. LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
For you I suspect, Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy!!!!!! Though the broken bits below might be beyond mere pad work. LOL

Let me tell you, it was not an easy repair by no means but I didn't trust a body shop to mess with it. I fixed in my garage and I must say, I was very happy with the outcome. Here I am with all the damaged parts removed...