E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Bought new i pod and a i phone now for the computer

12-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Bought new i pod and a i phone now for the computer

Can any body explain how a mac pro works and what did i read about you can run windows on a mac ,because i really fancy a new computer at home and the macs look stunning in the mac shop just dont want to buy the wrong thing thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
scotw
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320D SG

Garage List
2007 E90 320D  [0.00]
You can run windows on a Mac now, either by rebooting into windows (free) or by purchasing software (VMware Fusion or Parallels) which lets you run both at once.

However, you'll need an original XP DVD in order to load windows onto your Mac in the first place. Its not difficult, but takes a little time. Once thats done, you can load windows software onto your copy of XP, with one of the two software packages you can even run windows software from within Mac OSX. The Macbooks are worth a look, the pro is a lot more money for little more performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotw View Post
You can run windows on a Mac now, either by rebooting into windows (free) or by purchasing software (VMware Fusion or Parallels) which lets you run both at once.

However, you'll need an original XP DVD in order to load windows onto your Mac in the first place. Its not difficult, but takes a little time. Once thats done, you can load windows software onto your copy of XP, with one of the two software packages you can even run windows software from within Mac OSX. The Macbooks are worth a look, the pro is a lot more money for little more performance.

I installed Parallels V3 on my Macbook last week, just for fun.

As I'm almost certain that I'll be saying 'bye bye' to the PC for good, I will be using XP Pro as a 'virtual' operating system on the forthcoming iMac & on the Macbook.

After running Parallels, I just had to insert my Windows XP Pro (inc SP2) installation disc into the Mac's drive & it just installed XP as I would have, had I been doing it for the first time on the PC.

After that, a window opens & you've got XP on your Mac.
You can install your virus protector, your firewall & your spyware detector, just as you would if you were back on your PC.

You can transfer your addressbooks, email & settings etc, just as you would from PC to PC.

If you want more on-the-fly 'integration' between both operating systems, then you can turn on 'coherence' mode in Parallels, which gives you both the Mac & XP taskbars simultaneously & opens windows from both OSs on the same desktop.

It really was a weird experience, opening Windows XP Pro as a window on the Macbook.
One click & I was back in my PC; one more click & I was back on my Mac.

The great thing about it, was the ease with which I could share files between both operating systems, without having to transfer files across a network & between separate computers. There is a network drive in the XP window, which lets you access the Mac's files & vice versa.

Opening Quicktime in Windows XP, on the Mac, was just surreal.

You aren't limited to using just Windows XP with Parallels.
I'll probably install Ubuntu Linux, as an alternative, in the next few weeks.

As for getting a Macbook Pro, I agree with Scott, assuming it is a laptop you're after.
If you don't need to run a lot of intensive applications (digital video processing), then I think you'd be better off getting an ordinary Macbook with minimum RAM & just buying extra memory from Crucial, for a lot less than Apple will charge.

If it's a desktop Mac Pro you're thinking about, then you can upgrade it, similarly to upgrading a DIY PC.
That isn't anywhere near as easy to do with an iMac, unfortunately.

Just as an example, I could have paid Apple £449.99 for just the extra 2GB of 667MHz DDR2 RAM for my new iMac.
I thought better of it & paid Crucial £98 for the whole 4GB (2x2BG).

All the best.

Viv

Last edited by vivekk; 12-30-2007 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
miopyk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 987 Boxster & R56 Cooper S

and remember, once you've gone mac you won't go back.

Enjoy

Miopyk
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
steph.uk
325D E92
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325D Coupe M Sport

Run Vista using Bootcamp, and this works very well indeed. Bought an OEM version of Vista simplest version for about £50.

But really use Vista only when I need a piece of software I can not get running on the Mac for Uni, which is not every days.

Steph
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Bootcamp is fine for occasional use. I did find it surreal installing XP on the Mac - a real backward step .......
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
dang! someone just got paid

congratulations
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
Bootcamp is fine for occasional use. I did find it surreal installing XP on the Mac - a real backward step .......
I absolutely refuse to install any form of MS windows on the Mac... so haven't actually looked at Bootcamp or Parallels. Installing XP or Vista would be like poisoning it.
      12-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Thanks guys

I am thinking of buying the pro version of the mac book for the bigger 17 screen .sorry to be really thick but we only use our pc windows xp for web browsing and emails etc and some storage of pics .How do you launch the internet on a mac just use internet explorer ?? also my sony laptop is wifi and just hooked it self on to my home network really easy ,Is it the same with the mac ?

We only use pc for web and emails and some pic storage is this the right machine to buy also because i have a ipod and i phone and am so impressed with the quality of the apple products thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

IE for Mac is no longer supported.

Safari is the on board weapon of choice. Nice too .......
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I tend to just use Firefox on the Mac, although I'm 'stuck' with Safari on the iPhone...
      12-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
I am thinking of buying the pro version of the mac book for the bigger 17 screen .sorry to be really thick but we only use our pc windows xp for web browsing and emails etc and some storage of pics .How do you launch the internet on a mac just use internet explorer ?? also my sony laptop is wifi and just hooked it self on to my home network really easy ,Is it the same with the mac ?

We only use pc for web and emails and some pic storage is this the right machine to buy also because i have a ipod and i phone and am so impressed with the quality of the apple products thanks
The Mac uses Safari as its default browser- nicer than IE, IMO.

You can download a version for XP/Vista here & see what you think of it.

Based on your needs, scooba, I think the Macbook Pro would be a little 'overkill' for you, but still very 'nice'.

Connecting up to a wireless network on any Mac is simple-enough for even Carlos to manage.

Speaking as someone who's used PCs over the last 15 or so years & who's used the Macbook for about the last 18 months, all I can say is what a joy the last 18 months have been.

I really don't think you'll find many disgruntled Mac owners around, &, if you do, I think they'll be talking sh*te.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0