E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 06xi Winter prep tips&advice?

10-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Arktis Metallic

e90 06xi Winter prep tips&advice?

I am currently new to the bimmer world, so far i can't complain. The car has been great to me, and i love its features. Whole different world from the japanese engineering which i was so used to. I would like to know any tips and advice to keep the car up and going during winter. I live in Minnesota, lots of snow and deadly cold weather! Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated! One of my questions is "does the push button start ever become a problem?" what i mean is, in a regular ignition with a key, as you all know if the car takes some time to start you can hold the key and keep cranking. Does that work well with the push start? does it ever become a problem? Also from experiences, how long do you guys warm it up for? I will be getting an oil change soon and wish nothing but the best this winter for everyone! I am excited to try the e90 on the snow for sure! Thanks! ***Oh btw i do have all-season tires on already with the 162style rims on, can't afford winter tires ATM, i hope the all-seasons work well.
      10-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

1) The Start button is never a problem; even the diesels only hesitate a few seconds to light off the glow plugs. Just push the button and release; the computer takes care of the rest.
2) Don't idle to warm up the car. Idling wastes gas and doesn't warm the transmission and other running gear. Drive "moderately" - read the manual.
3) Everyone recommends snow tires, even on 'xi/awd cars. You'll probably be ok, but be careful especially when stopping and turning - awd only helps you get going, not in the other two.
4) If they use calcium chloride (or magnesium chloride) to de-ice the roads, be sure to rinse that stuff off at least weekly. It's death on the wheel finish, and not so good on the rest of the car. Remember, they use a binder (molasses or other waste) to keep it from running off in the melt. Regular salt, believe it or not, is not as bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
1) The Start button is never a problem; even the diesels only hesitate a few seconds to light off the glow plugs. Just push the button and release; the computer takes care of the rest.
2) Don't idle to warm up the car. Idling wastes gas and doesn't warm the transmission and other running gear. Drive "moderately" - read the manual.
3) Everyone recommends snow tires, even on 'xi/awd cars. You'll probably be ok, but be careful especially when stopping and turning - awd only helps you get going, not in the other two.
4) If they use calcium chloride (or magnesium chloride) to de-ice the roads, be sure to rinse that stuff off at least weekly. It's death on the wheel finish, and not so good on the rest of the car. Remember, they use a binder (molasses or other waste) to keep it from running off in the melt. Regular salt, believe it or not, is not as bad.
Great information!! Thanks a lot! and yes i will buy a manual, my car didn't come with one
      10-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

You'll be fine. +1 to everything above. Only things I would add:

- do NOT hold the start button. Click the button and let the computer crank. (if for some reason you wanted to control the cranking, release the brake pedal to stop the computer from cranking)

- You should not put the car under heavy load (acceleration or rpm) while the engine is still warming. If the computer is able to read the oil level, the car is fully warmed up. There is a trick to idle your car without the key fob (without comfort access) but I wouldn't use it unless its like -10 Fahrenheit out.

+104084084 to rinsing the car at minimum once a week. You will be glad you did.

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
paco89
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
You'll be fine. +1 to everything above. Only things I would add:

- do NOT hold the start button. Click the button and let the computer crank. (if for some reason you wanted to control the cranking, release the brake pedal to stop the computer from cranking)

- You should not put the car under heavy load (acceleration or rpm) while the engine is still warming. If the computer is able to read the oil level, the car is fully warmed up. There is a trick to idle your car without the key fob (without comfort access) but I wouldn't use it unless its like -10 Fahrenheit out.

+104084084 to rinsing the car at minimum once a week. You will be glad you did.
Thanks!, will keep that in mind
      10-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
chatoyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 m40i

Good advice here. I'm directly north of you in Canada, where it's probably only slightly colder.

1. Full winter tire set up. A must.
2. I'm about to put two coats of Menzerna PowerLock sealant on mine. Will help rinse away the dirt throughout the winter. Matters more in the spring, actually, as we're too cold to have slush between January and March.
3. I keep mine on a tender all winter when it is home.
4. I have an AT but use it in manual mode. I like to control the shift when it's -30 Celcius.
5. That said, when it's cold I don't go above 2200 rpm or so until I've driven it about 6 miles.

What I'm wondering about, based on another thread, is whether I should keep my AC lit up during the winter. Obviously not for cooling properties, but to pull the moisture out of the air. Some folks say keep it on, but not sure they live in extreme cold climates. I should ask my SA next time I'm in.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
eurofan99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 323i

keep some washer fluid never a bad idea to keep it in the car espascilly in slushy conditions
Appreciate 0