E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car Running Strange Lately

10-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
335driver07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i AT

Car Running Strange Lately

Lately my car has been running a bit strange.

The upshifts from 1-2, 2-3 under light throttle in the 2000-3000 RPM range are a little jerky. Feels more like a thump. This happens also in 4th gear as well. The downshifts are also a bit slow and jerky. Car is AT 335i with 88,000. My car has never acted this way before.

Another thing I noticed is that in the mornings, the RPMs used to spike to warm up the engine but that no longer happens.

This strange behavior occurred after I reset the ECU, throttle adaptation, and transmission adaptation with my Bavarian technic cable. At first after resetting the throttle adaptation, the RPMs started surging therefore I had to clear the codes. I read that this surging is common after resetting the throttle adaptation. I've also read on this forum that some members weren't happy with the results after resetting certain adaptations. Is there a way to fix this issue. Does my car need to be re flashed or reprogrammed? There's no codes on the dash or when I scan it with the BT cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
335driver07
Enlisted Member
Rep

179 views with no help? I've searched around the forums but couldn't find anything regarding this topic. I know my SA will just give me the run around saying as long as there's no codes, theres no problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
nesnith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Perhaps it's time to consider a transmission fluid change. While you are at it, make sure to replace the transmission pan, pan gasket, and mechatronic sealing sleeve.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
335driver07
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnith
Perhaps it's time to consider a transmission fluid change. While you are at it, make sure to replace the transmission pan, pan gasket, and mechatronic sealing sleeve.
I did change the transmission fluid at 70,000 along with the pan. Didn't change the mechatronic sleeve at the time. Didn't see any leaks.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
BMW_drei
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

How long since resetting adaptations?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
335driver07
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_drei
How long since resetting adaptations?
I reset the adaptations on Wednesday and didn't see improvement. Reset the adaptations again yesterday on Thursday and haven't noticed any improvement as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
335driver07
Enlisted Member
Rep

Does anyone know how many miles it takes for the adaptations to reset/adapt?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
I've actually had the jerky shifts where occasionally I could actually hear what sounds like a clutch suddenly engaging accompanied by a rough jerk. This happens most in the 1-2 shift while turning from a stop. I took it to the dealership and they didn't have much to say other than to bring it back in if the issue gets worse or persists. I'm going to try and pay closer attention to when it happens to see if I can replicate it. My car only has ~36,000 miles.

I hope you figure it out! I'm curious what you find! Report back if you do find a solution, it might help me and others out!

Also, I couldn't help but crack up a bit when I happened to see these two threads listed one right after the other:

10-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
BMW_drei
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335driver07 View Post
I reset the adaptations on Wednesday and didn't see improvement. Reset the adaptations again yesterday on Thursday and haven't noticed any improvement as well.
There's a post-reset driving pattern you're supposed to follow to re-adapt the transmission. You should be able to find it by searching (forum or internet), but I've never done it -- I've reset the adaptations a couple times to see if it cures odd behavior (kinda like what you're talking about), and it usually takes a few days (~50-100 miles?) and things get noticably smoother.
      10-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
335driver07
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius
I've actually had the jerky shifts where occasionally I could actually hear what sounds like a clutch suddenly engaging accompanied by a rough jerk. This happens most in the 1-2 shift while turning from a stop. I took it to the dealership and they didn't have much to say other than to bring it back in if the issue gets worse or persists. I'm going to try and pay closer attention to when it happens to see if I can replicate it. My car only has ~36,000 miles.

I hope you figure it out! I'm curious what you find! Report back if you do find a solution, it might help me and others out!

Also, I couldn't help but crack up a bit when I happened to see these two threads listed one right after the other:

Yeah I saw that post. It kind of pissed me off lol
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
335driver07
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335driver07
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius

Yeah I saw that post. It kind of pissed me off lol
Anyways will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
335driver07
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_drei
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335driver07 View Post
There's a post-reset driving pattern you're supposed to follow to re-adapt the transmission. You should be able to find it by searching (forum or internet), but I've never done it -- I've reset the adaptations a couple times to see if it cures odd behavior (kinda like what you're talking about), and it usually takes a few days (~50-100 miles?) and things get noticably smoother.
I've tried this from a thread on this forum however it's hard to find a empty street or parking lot to allow this procedure to be done without interruptions

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, perform an adaptation run as described in the procedure below.

Note: The transmission adaptation occurs only at a transmission oil temperature of 75°C or higher.

Once a transmission oil temperature of 75°C is reached, carry out the adaptation run as follows:

In drive position "D", increase vehicle speed up to 4th gear (approximately 25 mph), but do not allow a shift into 5th gear.

Allow the vehicle to then coast to a stop and keep the vehicle stationary for approximately 15 seconds with the brake pedal applied.

Next, with the vehicle stationary, change from D to N and back to D again.

Repeat steps 1 to 3 approximately 10 times.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 03:24 AM   #13
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Da fuck I've heard plenty of methods for it before, but never that one. That is the funkiest of them all. If you have a jb4 it's got an option for it in the menus.
Appreciate 0