E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > reasonably priced aftermarket struts & shocks for 2010 XI

10-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

reasonably priced aftermarket struts & shocks for 2010 XI

Hi,

$ is a factor for me. I live in New England, pavement can get pretty dicey re: potholes and winter damage. @ 100k miles, my fronts seem pretty shot, and I'm looking to upgrade to something aftermarket that won't break the bank.

I have a 2010 335 XI, any recommendations for something reasonably priced (i.e. for the set of 4, ~700$), that will effectively be an upgrade over stock? I don't race the car, but enjoy great handling during aggressive driving.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys recommend!

P.S. Are mounts & bushings typically replaced at the same time? Am I correct in assuming nothing will come with the struts & shocks re: bushings/etc and that these would need to be ordered separately?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisivan View Post
Hi,

$ is a factor for me. I live in New England, pavement can get pretty dicey re: potholes and winter damage. @ 100k miles, my fronts seem pretty shot, and I'm looking to upgrade to something aftermarket that won't break the bank.

I have a 2010 335 XI, any recommendations for something reasonably priced (i.e. for the set of 4, ~700$), that will effectively be an upgrade over stock? I don't race the car, but enjoy great handling during aggressive driving.
Assuming you only care about highway comfort and performance, you will be happy with either Koni Sport/SAs (single-adjustable) or FSD shocks. Both will be near your price point, not counting the installation (easy DIY):
http://www.tcklineracing.com/index.c...y&Category=256
https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...lar=Base+Model

More here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352950

(BTW, your shocks were shot about 50K miles ago ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisivan View Post
P.S. Are mounts & bushings typically replaced at the same time? Am I correct in assuming nothing will come with the struts & shocks re: bushings/etc and that these would need to be ordered separately?
If you are referring to the camber plates (front) and upper strut mounts (rear), then usually, struts come without them.
You should consider re-using OEM ones unless:
1). They are obviously worn off (rubber is cracked, separated, etc).
2). You want to upgrade the car's suspension geometry (if you did, you would already know what you want!)
3). You are paying someone to swam the struts, and want to insure against having to pay again in the next 100K miles (or while you own the car) in case struts/camber plates go bad before you need to replace shocks again.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
thegrinchboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi, '18 X1, '21 M2C

Garage List
Koni FSD, BilsteinHD, or check used OEM parts here in the forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

thanks for the advice!

Went with the Koni FSD, waiting on their arrival. Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0