BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

09-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
ek9hatch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Rogue Engineering Octane SSK Install

I've been wanting to install a SSK on the M3 for a while now, but was not sure whether it was worth all the work. I never really liked how the stock shifter felt, especially coming from a S2000 as my previous car (not sure why BMW would use this shifter/shift knob setup on a M3). I searched through the forum and seems like it would be a PITA to install the SSK without a lift. I was able to get it done on ramps and didn't have to remove the exhaust.

1) Got the car up on the ramps

2) Remove the shift knob/boot, then the foam piece. Next remove the rubber boot. I used some WD-40 and a flathead for the rubber boot.

3) Time to get under the car....remove the skid/felt pad (this requires 8mm, 10mm, and 13mm sockets...not sure why BMW chose to use 3 different sized screws/nuts for a felt pad).

4) Remove the tranny carrier assembly (4 bolts from the bottom and 2 nuts from top)...should be all 13mm if I remember correctly

5) Since I chose not to remove the exhaust, I had to bend the heat shield down to give me room. You should be able to see the whole shifter assembly at this point and be able to reach all the retaining clips. Remove the clip for the shift lever

6) Once the stock shift lever is loose, go back into the car and loosen the pivot cup by rotating it clockwise with some pliers. Pull the shift lever up to remove it.

7) Next remove the stock carrier pins by pulling & rotating them down (one on each side).

8) The next part is slightly tricky. I wasn't able to remove the rear pin bushing from the bracket since I didn't have enough room. I moved the carrier towards the passenger side and as far forward as possible.

9) The stock carrier pin is barely held on by the bushing. At this point I just pull it downwards with a little force and was able to remove it.

10) Remove the stock selector rod by removing the front clip using a flathead or your hand. Install the new selector rod and the clip.

10) Installing the rogue engineering carrier was much easier since the pin is pointy at the end and doesn't have the extra piece sticking downwards. The installation of the SSK is pretty straight forward from this point on.

11) Everything put back together.

Overall, it took me about couple hours to do and wasn't all too bad. The hardest part I struggled with was removing the stock carrier because I couldn't remove the rear pin bushing. The RE SSK works perfectly with the performance knob. The performance knob was slightly too short for the stock shifter, but after installing the SSK the height is perfect. Shifting feels much better than stock, much more precise. Well worth the time and money.

Last edited by ek9hatch00; 05-13-2019 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Much thanks for this; I'm considering one of these units as well.