F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hi all! First bm and first questions!!
ARMA SPEED

09-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
Ed900
Rep
Drives: 320d

Hi all! First bm and first questions!!

Hi all just got delivery of our 9 month old 320d sport
Never had a bmw and have never spent so much on a car before ;-)
Got a few questions, I've tried to work out what options our car came with, I know there is a vin checker, but I couldn't make out what was standard ( it listed a warning triangle in the options list, )
It has leather, sat nav, split fold seats, front and rear parking sensors, lights under the door handles and 18" wheels. Don't know if that's standard or not on a sport, what do you think??!
Also what's the story about timing chains? Are all these problems only on older cars?
Our dealer has said we carnt have a service plan because it should have been activated when new, is that correct ? We are planning on keeping the car about 6 years so would have likes one.
Re the service intervals, do people really stick to the long gaps between oil changes... Or are you guys getting your cars serviced earlier?
Is there anything else I need to know about these cars??! Maybe there should be an idiots guide to f30 ownership?.....!
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
jumperjohn
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed900 View Post
Our dealer has said we carnt have a service plan because it should have been activated when new, is that correct ?
Thanks in advance
This isnt correct. I bought an F31 330d M Sport a few weeks ago. It was a BMW car and just under one year old though with no service plan, the dealer allowed me to buy the 5 year plan for £425, minus the first year though.

Your dealer will print of the cars build spec too.

The F30/F31 is an incredible car, the 330d engine and auto box is sublime!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumperjohn View Post
This isnt correct. I bought an F31 330d M Sport a few weeks ago. It was a BMW car and just under one year old though with no service plan, the dealer allowed me to buy the 5 year plan for £425, minus the first year though.

Your dealer will print of the cars build spec too.

The F30/F31 is an incredible car, the 330d engine and auto box is sublime!
The 330d engine is sublime but the OP has a 320d??!!

The options would of been all the things listed. With regards to the service plan, it should only be supplied with a new vehicle however participating dealers can offer plans if they wish on a used car basis.

Some people service them between services but I never have. Your car has over two years warranty so your covered if anything goes wrong. Timing chain issues are not unheard of but in the main and considering how many cars are sold effect quite a minority.

Regarding the spec, just ask your dealer to print off the VZAR for your vehicle which will list the build data.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Welcome to the forum, a very good place for finding idiots guide to BMW.

No real issue with the F3x, the 320d, gives great fuel returns and decent power for a 2.0l diesel.

Put reg in here will give details on servicing.
https://www.bmw-service.co.uk

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/bmw-approved-benefits.aspx

Assuming you bought it AUC from main dealer, then yes you can get service pack, however not sure if pricing is worth it at 9 months.

Anything else someone will know the answer.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

As said above, the dealer can tell you what the specified options are. Sounds like a well specced car with plenty of options. Puddle lights are not standard on a 2.0d. Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

My understanding is that there is a difference between The Service Inclusive package offered on new cars and that offered on approved used. The latter lasts for 2 years rather than 5 according to this http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/bmw-approved-benefits.aspx

There must be exceptions to this, if jumperjohn has managed to get the new car package on a used car - I suggest he checks now rather than wait for a potential dispute later on.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
I'm just about to pick up a used F31. It's an ex BMW car and since it's less than a year old and is yet to have its first service, there is the option to add the 5-year Service Inclusive package. If the car is over a year old, then it's not possible to do it and you'll have to take the 2 year approved used option if you want a service pack.

It's the first used car I've bought in a while (last two cars being an E46 and an F11), so I hope I'm doing the right thing!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
jumperjohn
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
The 330d engine is sublime but the OP has a 320d??!!

Ok, calm down. The art of conversation is lost on you?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
jumperjohn
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
My understanding is that there is a difference between The Service Inclusive package offered on new cars and that offered on approved used. The latter lasts for 2 years rather than 5 according to this http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/bmw-approved-benefits.aspx

There must be exceptions to this, if jumperjohn has managed to get the new car package on a used car - I suggest he checks now rather than wait for a potential dispute later on.
I'm correct.
I asked the dealer about servicing when I bought the car and he asked the manager to see if this addon could be done, Syner Sunningdale, and I paid £425 for the remainder of the inclusive 5 year servicing.
Maybe it was a thing to ask at the time of purchase but no harm in asking Monday am?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:51 AM   #10
Hprice1099
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Hi all just got delivery of our 9 month old 320d sport
Never had a bmw and have never spent so much on a car before ;-)
Got a few questions, I've tried to work out what options our car came with, I know there is a vin checker, but I couldn't make out what was standard ( it listed a warning triangle in the options list, )
It has leather, sat nav, split fold seats, front and rear parking sensors, lights under the door handles and 18" wheels. Don't know if that's standard or not on a sport, what do you think??!
Also what's the story about timing chains? Are all these problems only on older cars?
Our dealer has said we carnt have a service plan because it should have been activated when new, is that correct ? We are planning on keeping the car about 6 years so would have likes one.
Re the service intervals, do people really stick to the long gaps between oil changes... Or are you guys getting your cars serviced earlier?
Is there anything else I need to know about these cars??! Maybe there should be an idiots guide to f30 ownership?.....!
Thanks in advance
Your dealer is chatting shite, I was told you can add it upto 12 months from several dealers. If there being arses about it call another local dealer and ask if you can buy one from them.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #11
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Regarding oil changes, I'd recommend cutting the oil change interval in half.
Do note that, depending on your dealer, it might be a problem if you have service inclusive - with mine, I explained that I wanted to do an intermediate oil change, and the service manager basically said "OK, we'll do it, but not reset the indicators, in addition it will go down on the internal car computer as having an oil change done, and the date and mileage on it too.

I also got them to order me in a service handbook, as I like having a stamped book to keep my invoices with.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

My understanding is that if the car has had a private owner then the service pack cannot be added. If it has only been a BMW car then it can.
      09-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Hi Ed900 and welcome. As stated above, this is a great place to find helpful idiots

Now, how about some pics of your new purchase??? It is the only rule here I think
      09-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
andrew.webber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ise

I went through this stupid service inclusive stuff when I brought my 1 year old AUC - the service pack can be applied to any new or AUC as long as the first service has not been carried out!!

I got this from BMW customer service (eventually!!)

HTH
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
jumperjohn
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyBMW View Post
My understanding is that if the car has had a private owner then the service pack cannot be added. If it has only been a BMW car then it can.
That's interesting as my car was a 'BMW' car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #16
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

Quote:
On a Sport the rear parking sensors and door handle lights are standard the rest are options.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
Ed900
Rep

Wow! Thanks for all the replies :-)
I've obviously picked the right forum to join....!
Ill get onto the dealers to try and sort a service package of some sort, there are a few near us, so I've a few to go at. Our car is a bmw car.
What's AUC ?
I've tried the link posted above re the service check, but nothing came up apart from it telling me where the service places are
What would an oil and filter change be from a dealer?
And if I carnt get a package sorted, what's the cost of servicing? Is it fixed price, I take it they are big and small services.
Any major service costs in the future to look out for too
Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #18
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
What's AUC ?
Approved Used Car
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #19
Ed900
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
Approved Used Car
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #20
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #21
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for all the replies :-)

What would an oil and filter change be from a dealer?
And if I carnt get a package sorted, what's the cost of servicing? Is it fixed price, I take it they are big and small services.

Thanks all
An oil and oil filter change cost me £180. I have that done at the halfway point between recommended services, at 9-10k miles. My car is now on 14k, and showing due in 5k. The service due at 18-19k will be free at the time, as I've got service pack.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 06:30 AM   #22
Ed900
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

You mean you don't know what a 3 series looks like?!! :-)
I'll pop some picks on when it stands still long enough...
Appreciate 0