E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP!Water Pump Replaced, NOW getting ELECTRICAL SYSTEM MALFUNCTION!!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?

09-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
AughtOcho335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

HELP!Water Pump Replaced, NOW getting ELECTRICAL SYSTEM MALFUNCTION!!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?

Water pump went out last Saturday. Had it towed to an excellent Indy shop. Replaced water pump and thermostat. Also replaced front control arms while it was there.

Now....... I get "Electrical System Malfunction" on I-drive along with code CDA8 under hard acceleration and road bumps.

I've NEVER had this problem before. I can't help but think something happened when it was under the knife. However, the shop I took it to has an outstandingly flawless reputation and the owner is highly knowledgeable and skilled. I took it to him today to look at it and he said there is a problem with the can-bus system but it isn't related to anything done at his shop.

The warning goes away after a few seconds. However, the fact that it happens is too much for me anyways. Like I said, this never happened prior to putting it into the shop.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Owner said I'm potentially looking at an expensive diagnostic session which I'd like to avoid all together.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
AughtOcho335
Lieutenant
Rep

Bump...

After more reading it seems like this is a very common problem. People cite water/moisture as a common culprit. It did rain heavily on my way home. Might have got a bit of moisture somewhere. Everything's open and it's air drying at the moment. Hopefully it goes away gradually rather than get worse.

It's just a little too coincidental that it started malfunctioning the day I picked it up from the shop. Can't everything just work all at the same for once.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
thomas88162
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Did you check your trunk for water intrusion?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
AughtOcho335
Lieutenant
Rep

Yessir. From the looks of things there's none what so ever. Just to be safe I put a fan in the trunk aimed at the battery. After a while I'll put it all bck together. Owner of shop said it's a canbus issue coming from a connection issue the cabin most likely.

Came across some stories of them catching fire due to an electrical malfunction. Obviously that's worst case scenario. I just want to be able to get from point A to point B without any complications.
Appreciate 0