E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > D1S Low Beam or Ballast?

09-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

D1S Low Beam or Ballast?

What's up guys. Quick question regarding the low beam bulbs. My right headlamp went out and I got a right low beam malfunction notification on the idrive, my light was not dimming or fading pink or purple which are the usual symptoms of the d1s bulbs about to burn out. My question is should I just order a brand new ballast along with two brand new d1s bulbs for both sides or could it have been the bulb? Any recommendations on good or better than oem replacements.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
I actually had the same thing happen last week it ended up just being the bulb so I would try that first...the bulb just died no fading or turning pink like yours..when I took out the old bulb the back of ot was disconnected where I think the igniter is...anyways try the bulb first
1st Bimmer - 2007 328xi | SGM | e90 | Premium | Navi | Gloss black trim | Cold | AA headers | 3 stage intake manifold | AA stage 3 tune | AFE stage 2 intake | Cyba Scoops | OEM Blacklines | OEM LCI mtech front bumper | OEM LCI hood | OEM gloss black kidney grills | Orion v4 LED halos with blackout headlights | Valentine 1 Radar | Sport wheel with paddles | kw v1 coilovers | VMR 710 | Continental ExtremeContact DW |
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGazis109
I actually had the same thing happen last week it ended up just being the bulb so I would try that first...the bulb just died no fading or turning pink like yours..when I took out the old bulb the back of ot was disconnected where I think the igniter is...anyways try the bulb first
Good to know. I kind of been shying away from trying to swap the drivers side bulb into the passenger side because of ppl saying that u have to remove the bumper to get to the light I have neither the time or the space for that. Did u have to remove ur bumper to get to the light?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGazis109
Good to know. I kind of been shying away from trying to swap the drivers side bulb into the passenger side because of ppl saying that u have to remove the bumper to get to the light I have neither the time or the space for that. Did u have to remove ur bumper to get to the light?
Mine was the driver side and I have an e90 so it might be different but I took out my air filter box to reach the backside of the headlight it took 2 hours for me and a sore back but I did it haha I really didn't want to take off my bumper...the passenger side looks a lot easier because you can reach the backside of the headlight easier without removing the air box...another tip is to move your wheel all the way to the right and use the little trap door in the wheel wheel to help take the back cover off the headlight...the only reason you need to take the bumper off if you need to take out the whole headlight unit...
1st Bimmer - 2007 328xi | SGM | e90 | Premium | Navi | Gloss black trim | Cold | AA headers | 3 stage intake manifold | AA stage 3 tune | AFE stage 2 intake | Cyba Scoops | OEM Blacklines | OEM LCI mtech front bumper | OEM LCI hood | OEM gloss black kidney grills | Orion v4 LED halos with blackout headlights | Valentine 1 Radar | Sport wheel with paddles | kw v1 coilovers | VMR 710 | Continental ExtremeContact DW |
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Got u. Is the high beam suppose to be out to? Along with the low beam
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

You don't need to tale bumper off to remove xenon bulb on e92. You take off inner fender well. Take off access panel off back of headlight and the bulb can be removed.

The only reason you would have to take the bumper off is to actually remove the headlights from the car.

I had a ballast go bad but it was only because i was getting condensation inside the headlight and it dripped down and fried the ballast.

I would assume it was the bulb if it just went out. They only last 4-6 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
What's up guys. Quick question regarding the low beam bulbs. My right headlamp went out and I got a right low beam malfunction notification on the idrive, my light was not dimming or fading pink or purple which are the usual symptoms of the d1s bulbs about to burn out. My question is should I just order a brand new ballast along with two brand new d1s bulbs for both sides or could it have been the bulb? Any recommendations on good or better than oem replacements.
Not sure about the e92, but its a PITA to diag this issue. If u have a bad ballast on an e90 u need to remove bumper cover to get to the headlight removal to get to the ballast removal. If u swap bulbs u run the risk of breaking 2 bulbs and having no headlights.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #8
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

So I ordered a new pair of d1s bulbs Took apart the bumper and installed the bulbs and tested the passenger side before I mounted them back on and the bulb light up. Once I put the headlights and bumper back together and fired up the lights the passenger side was out again!!! Any ideas? I noticed that when I turn my headlights back on they both auto level what should I try next
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Sounds like something is frying your bulbs
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriang
Sounds like something is frying your bulbs on that side
I checked the dudes inside the glove box and they looked fine. Could it be the headlight washers?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Maybe you touched the bulb? I hear that oils off your hands can fry the bulb or maybe cheap bulb?

I'm not experienced with bulbs though don't know too much. Sorry can't help too much
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriang
Maybe you touched the bulb? I hear that oils off your hands can fry the bulb or maybe cheap bulb?

I'm not experienced with bulbs though don't know too much. Sorry can't help too much
Doubt it. I took all those pre cautions before swapping them out and it's no coincidence that the same side keeps burning out
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Must be the ballast then. Theres nothing else.

The bulbs that dont work are not like physically damaged right? Like there not hitting something when the headlight projector moves? I dont think its even possible but just a thought.

But i would say its either you bought a cheap crappy bulb and it just burnt out right away or the ballast is not working properly and burning out the bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90
Must be the ballast then. Theres nothing else.

The bulbs that dont work are not like physically damaged right? Like there not hitting something when the headlight projector moves? I dont think its even possible but just a thought.

But i would say its either you bought a cheap crappy bulb and it just burnt out right away or the ballast is not working properly and burning out the bulbs.
It was the ballast that was no good. My oem bulbs still worked after the ballast swap. But I kept the 6k bulbs I bought from khoalty in there they look way better than the stock color temperature and they were only about 55 shipped for the pair.
Appreciate 0