E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Lunk sound

09-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Lunk sound

Hey guys,

Started noticing a lunk sound coming from the driver side front.

Car info:
E92xi
66k (coils/rims for about 10k)
KW v1s
245/35/18s
5mm spacer on front

-sound ONLY occurs when accelerating slowly (let foot off brake and give little to low throttle)

-sound does not occur going over bumps, turning, brisk acceleration, braking.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
flux45
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

I actually have the same sound and haven't figured it out yet. It almost sounds like the brakes are still holding and it is overcoming, although it doesn't really feel like that. BMW said they couldn't "reproduce the issue" of course.
Started to notice it after I installed my KW's and wheels, but it may just be making the existing issue more obvious. My brakes are quite rusty so it could be that???
Stumped.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
Momukhamo
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux45 View Post
I actually have the same sound and haven't figured it out yet. It almost sounds like the brakes are still holding and it is overcoming, although it doesn't really feel like that. BMW said they couldn't "reproduce the issue" of course.
Started to notice it after I installed my KW's and wheels, but it may just be making the existing issue more obvious. My brakes are quite rusty so it could be that???
Stumped.
idk if its the same sound or issues with my car but when u hear it try to make a full stop and the noise goes away...

i feel like its the hand break when you release it and started driving you hear that noise and when i started driving n make a full stop the noise goes away..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
flux45
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momukhamo View Post
idk if its the same sound or issues with my car but when u hear it try to make a full stop and the noise goes away...

i feel like its the hand break when you release it and started driving you hear that noise and when i started driving n make a full stop the noise goes away..
well the sound itself only lasts for a split second in my case, so stopping wouldn't make a difference. sound also goes away the car "warms up" and I start driving, further leading me to believe the rotor/caliper rust is playing a part here
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Momukhamo
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux45 View Post
well the sound itself only lasts for a split second in my case, so stopping wouldn't make a difference. sound also goes away the car "warms up" and I start driving, further leading me to believe the rotor/caliper rust is playing a part here

oh ok its probably just rotor/caliper rust its the same thing with me thats why before even i get out of my driveway i will break n make a full stop to get rid of the rusts. and it works everytime lol
Appreciate 0