E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > H&R Sports Springs on e92

09-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
khanh1289
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

H&R Sports Springs on e92

I know I'll probably get yelled at but I literally could not search for the answer.. At least not straightforward.

I am looking to lower my car just for looks and I live in a city where pot holes are not common. Would you guys recommend for me to install H&R springs to get a better stance? Are there better springs out there? I also need to install M3 fronts and Z3 rear bump stops correct? Where could I buy those bump stops? Has anyone done just this and ran into any problem?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
khanh1289
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

really? None of you guys can answer this quick question?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanh1289 View Post
I know I'll probably get yelled at but I literally could not search for the answer.. At least not straightforward.

I am looking to lower my car just for looks and I live in a city where pot holes are not common. Would you guys recommend for me to install H&R springs to get a better stance? Are there better springs out there? I also need to install M3 fronts and Z3 rear bump stops correct? Where could I buy those bump stops? Has anyone done just this and ran into any problem?

Thanks in advance
LOTS of threads on this topic. Quick answer is the the H&R springs will lower you the most and give you the harshest ride. Depending on your tire/wheel size you may also run into rubbing issues w/the H&R springs.

Eibach Pro-Kit springs are closest to the sport springs but still lower the car a bit more and provide the closest to OEM ride. Should be no rubbing issues w/conventional tire/wheel sizes. Eibach Sportline springs are in between the H&R and Pro-kit springs in terms of height and ride. Word is that the Sportlines "settle in" over time increasing the harshness of the rides and also raising possible rubbing issues.

You can make all of the springs go even lower in the front using Supreme Power lowering perches BUT you'll be even more likely to face rubbing issues if you do.

Eibach Pro-Kit springs can be used w/sport OEM or Koni FSD shocks. The Pro-Kit springs and FSD shocks are often marketed as a combo kit. However, if you go lower w/the H&R, Sportline and/or SP lowering perches you'll probably have to use adjustable Yellow Konis or comparable shocks instead. You should install the E36 M3/Z4 bumpstops for anything lower than the Pro-Kit springs to avoid the possibility of bottoming out w/the OEM bumpstops.

I installed the E36 M3 and Z4 bump stops when I installed my FSDs for Phase 1 of my suspension mods. Didn't really need to do it because I didn't install lower springs but they were cheap and did it just in case I went w/lower springs later, which I am currently planning on doing. I've got the E90 OEM sport suspension using 12 & 15mm spacers (front & back) with OEM sized tires/wheels with no rubbing issues. Only got rubbing when I tried 18mm spacers in back.

For Phase 2, I'm planning on adding M3 sway bar & control/tension arms in front w/Koni Pro-kit springs all around as the next stage in the suspension mod. The Pro-kit springs are only a few mm shorter (but are noticeably firmer) than the OEM sport springs, which I expect will provide a firmer/more stable front end with a bit more understeer but w/o any rubbing issues. Phase 3 and would include a change of the rear suspension/diff bushings, the addition of the rear sway bar and maybe a LSD which will balance out the suspension and provide more control in the rear. However, I'm not sure if I'll ever do Phase 3; all depends on how the car performs after Phase 2.

Troll the threads for further details on the possibilities.

Last edited by SSW; 09-16-2014 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0