Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Rear 10-12 inch Sub/Amp recommendation for HK system?

Hello all! Well it has been quite some time since I have looked into upgrading, or modifying stereo components of any sort in a vehicle in ages for me. And I am talking, senior year of high school, two 12 inch subs with some crazy amp rattle my car to pieces long time ago lol...
I plan to keep this car for quite some time, and even though I opted for the upgraded HK system, it does leave a bit to be desired in the low frequency/bass department. Now I am getting older, and years of wear and tear has taken its toll. I do not want anything intrusive to the outside environment. Just a nice low rumble to compliment the existing setup, while also being able to be installed with a custom box small enough that it is basically non-intrusive to the small trunk space we have (I have a F80 M3).
So any recommendations or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
purdyawesome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3, 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79
Hello all! Well it has been quite some time since I have looked into upgrading, or modifying stereo components of any sort in a vehicle in ages for me. And I am talking, senior year of high school, two 12 inch subs with some crazy amp rattle my car to pieces long time ago lol...
I plan to keep this car for quite some time, and even though I opted for the upgraded HK system, it does leave a bit to be desired in the low frequency/bass department. Now I am getting older, and years of wear and tear has taken its toll. I do not want anything intrusive to the outside environment. Just a nice low rumble to compliment the existing setup, while also being able to be installed with a custom box small enough that it is basically non-intrusive to the small trunk space we have (I have a F80 M3).
So any recommendations or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance,
Chris
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=783580

This is what has piqued my interest. You will want to use a top notch installer and make sure that they have a way of seamlessly integrating with the HK stereo without cutting into your wire harness. You DO NOT want them to cut a single wire. Probably looking at roughly $1600-$1800 for a custom enclosure, good quality sub, and nice single channel amp - installed... If you want to kick a little ass, check out the JL Audio Stealthbox setup for this car. I have it in my Wrangler and it's awesome. Only gripes with the one for my M3 would be the weight, and whether or not I'd be able to lay the back seat down to transport cargo. I'm no expert but hope this provides a starting point for your interweb search.
Appreciate 0