E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > WTB parts for oil cooler retrofit

08-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
gregory.fazekas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6mt

WTB parts for oil cooler retrofit

Like the title says, Im looking to buy parts for an oil cooler retrofit. anything from the oil cooler itself to the oil filter housing and any related parts would be very helpful..LMK what you have
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Check eBay for the housing, I landed a housing and thermostat for $100 shipped on there from a parts car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
mrvedit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

EDIT: After I posted here, based on a search, I realized this was the WTB section, and I therefore reposted in a more appropriate section where I have received useful replies:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post16592901

Sorry for the posting mistake.

End of Edit.

Thanks to various members here selling parts, I now have all the parts to add an OEM oil cooler to my 335xi which did not come with an oil cooler.

Trying to install it today, I ran into two complexities. First, one of the bolts holding the oil filter housing is under the intake manifold and appears to require removing the manifold. I therefore decided to postpone the project until I walnut-shell blast the valves which obviously also requires removing the intake manifold.

Next, I wasn't sure how to install the cooler itself. Does the front bumper cover need to be removed? Will my non-cooler car have the mounting holes?
Do I need a different right-side under bumper grill to let more air in?
I have searched but cannot find a detailed thread on this (common?) project. If someone could give me a link to more info, that would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited by mrvedit; 09-07-2014 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Correct, the intake mani does need to be removed to fit the housing. Good idea on the walnut blast.

Not sure on whether the right mounting brackets will already be installed for the OEM OC. I made my own bracket for my Setrab OC out of aluminum angle iron. I don't think you need to take off the bumper, but it certainly gives you more clearance and room to work. At a minimum, take off the pass side wheel and remove the pass side fender liner.

And yes, you should order up a new passenger side grill, fender liner and liner grill. Here's a screenshot from my own order at ECS Tuning...

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 04:12 AM   #5
Pr335bob
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Correct, the intake mani does need to be removed to fit the housing. Good idea on the walnut blast.

Not sure on whether the right mounting brackets will already be installed for the OEM OC. I made my own bracket for my Setrab OC out of aluminum angle iron. I don't think you need to take off the bumper, but it certainly gives you more clearance and room to work. At a minimum, take off the pass side wheel and remove the pass side fender liner.

And yes, you should order up a new passenger side grill, fender liner and liner grill. Here's a screenshot from my own order at ECS Tuning...

Sirdaft, is it me or does that bumper grill appear to not have fog light holes ?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
mrvedit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Thank you so much (!) for the parts list, vendor and prices. I quickly figured out I need those too.
Unfortunately I cannot find any of those part numbers on the ECS Tuning website; perhaps the numbers changed.

Pr335bob: my fog light is next to and separate from the grille.

Last edited by mrvedit; 09-09-2014 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Pr335bob
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

OK got it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States