BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

12-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
Sick Speed
Speed
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Coupe

Unhappy My VERY Painful Decision

So I had to come to a decision the other day and it is one that pains me each night.

In my area there is NO WAY possible to get into the new M3 without either being WAAAAAAAAAAY down on the list and being AT LEAST a year out until having a slot to order one OR paying $10k - $15k premium ABOVE the MSRP and options. Regardless, the 2 dealers in my area and surrounding areas up to 150 miles away are fully loaded with lists that stretch into next year. On top of that my local BMW dealer is now saying that WHEN they get the first M3 in they are going to hold it as a test drive model.

I even test drove the new Carrera S and seriously considered this for about a week. But when I slept on it on my final night I just came to the conclusion I am not a Porsche man.

No offense to any of the posters here who have or have had a Porsche. It's just not me. I love the M immensely.

So with that being said I placed an order for the 335i fully optioned and will have the DINAN chip amping it up to 382 HP.

My lease is due to expire December 23rd so I could either turn the car in and drive my alternate car for at least a year until I get an M3 order slot OR I could get into the 335i on a short term lease...wait until the fire storm dies down and THEN get into the new M3. I imagine like the rest of you...if I cannot drive a high performance ride...I feel constricted and lifeless. My alternate ride is an SUV and is anything BUT high performance. I would rather have something than nothing.

Since I have a car on order BMW USA is extending my lease turn in date until the new one arrives.

My LAST chance is that the dealer agreed that if during the time my 335i is being built they are able to get a high number of M's allocated to them and my name is within that initial allotment then they would allow me to opt out of the 335i order and put me on the M3 order list. I have this in writing too.

In this scenario BMW USA said if I can give them a production order number then they would extend my current lease until the new one arrives as well.

I am not holding my breath on this last one.

SS
      12-18-2007, 02:53 AM   #2
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I think many of us can empathize with your "pain". I know what you mean about P-cars as well, brilliant cars, great looking, great performers, etc. However, I do think you are right that there just are "Porsche guys" and those who are not. Some basic thoughts and suggestions on the rest of your situation:
  • Coming from an M3, despite the great performance of a stock and modded 335i I don't think you will be satisfied with the 335i, just from a feel and driving perception POV.
  • Some dealers will be getting some markups on the M3 for some time. It is not going to last long though.
  • Folks have begun dropping off of lists already, and once we have pricing and dealers start calling folks to ante up and place an order, many more will drop off.
  • I think even though BMW is offering you a short term lease it is probably not be short enough to get you from your current M3, into the 335i and then into E92 M3 within the time frame that you can actually get to your place in line and an allocation.
  • Despite how good/flexible/etc. the offers seem from either BMW NA and or your dealer don't forget it is their job to make as much $ on you as they can, period.
  • You should strongly consider another dealer (and it does not have to be huge one) in a place further from you in your state or even in a nearby state. Many dealers have a strict no over MSRP policy and some will have much shorter lists than others. Your "leg work" could pay off getting you a car much sooner than you think.
  • My last thought is just buy a real cheapie for about 9 months, my strong suspicion is that about six months after first deliveries (about 9 months from now) you will be able to walk into a dealer place your order and basically have an instant allocation. My opinion here might be a bit aggressive in terms of what is possible but based on history, the last M3 launch, the improved state of the competition and BMWs stated goal of selling 100,000 M3 over the E9X model lifespan, the opinion is justified. I know it would not be fun driving the cheapie for 9 months but you would feel great when selling it for near what you paid for it.
Hope this helps, at least a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

If you truly "love the M immensely" then take Swamp's advice and buy the cheapo for 9 months and get what you REALLY want.

Save yourself some money
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I think many of us can empathize with your "pain". I know what you mean about P-cars as well, brilliant cars, great looking, great performers, etc. However, I do think you are right that there just are "Porsche guys" and those who are not. Some basic thoughts and suggestions on the rest of your situation:
  • Coming from an M3, despite the great performance of a stock and modded 335i I don't think you will be satisfied with the 335i, just from a feel and driving perception POV.
  • Some dealers will be getting some markups on the M3 for some time. It is not going to last long though.
  • Folks have begun dropping off of lists already, and once we have pricing and dealers start calling folks to ante up and place an order, many more will drop off.
  • I think even though BMW is offering you a short term lease it is probably not be short enough to get you from your current M3, into the 335i and then into E92 M3 within the time frame that you can actually get to your place in line and an allocation.
  • Despite how good/flexible/etc. the offers seem from either BMW NA and or your dealer don't forget it is their job to make as much $ on you as they can, period.
  • You should strongly consider another dealer (and it does not have to be huge one) in a place further from you in your state or even in a nearby state. Many dealers have a strict no over MSRP policy and some will have much shorter lists than others. Your "leg work" could pay off getting you a car much sooner than you think.
  • My last thought is just buy a real cheapie for about 9 months, my strong suspicion is that about six months after first deliveries (about 9 months from now) you will be able to walk into a dealer place your order and basically have an instant allocation. My opinion here might be a bit aggressive in terms of what is possible but based on history, the last M3 launch, the improved state of the competition and BMWs stated goal of selling 100,000 M3 over the E9X model lifespan, the opinion is justified. I know it would not be fun driving the cheapie for 9 months but you would feel great when selling it for near what you paid for it.
Hope this helps, at least a bit.
+1

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
Gadgetman
Captain Darren
United_States
Rep
Drives: Canadian Regional Jet 900

When you see an M3 around your neighborhood, you will regret it and kick yourself in the arse. When I bought my E46 M3, I was lookings at the 330ci at the time and my salesperson persuaded me on the M3. He was right and he knew what I was looking for especially, the prestegious M3.

For what it's worth,
2005 BMW E46 M3 TiAg (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
911 Now
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 m3

Hey I'm a "porsche guy"(we're not so bad) but only for another 3 or 4 months. I can hardly wait to get my new M3 and I've never even driven one but I know I'm gonna love it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
I am an M3 and a Porsche guy...they aren't that bad. However IF I was you...I'd just extend my least out 12months. BMW will easily let you do that. Then start calling around the US and find a dealer with a lower allocation and put down your $$$ deposit and go get the car. There are still dealers out there with initial 08 allocations whose waitlists aren't in the stratosphere! You just need to put in the legwork. Last Oct Sterling BMW in VA had under 6 folks on their initial allocation list who'd put down a deposit. (may have changed by now). Also seems like plenty of folks are changing or dropping their allocations (not me) but they are out there.

Good luck!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
///MArdor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

I was in a similar predicament until I went two states away and picked up a #5 allotment. I was glad I decided not to go with the 335i instead (great car but not the M).
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
Sick Speed
Speed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
I am an M3 and a Porsche guy...they aren't that bad. However IF I was you...I'd just extend my least out 12months. BMW will easily let you do that. Then start calling around the US and find a dealer with a lower allocation and put down your $$$ deposit and go get the car. There are still dealers out there with initial 08 allocations whose waitlists aren't in the stratosphere! You just need to put in the legwork. Last Oct Sterling BMW in VA had under 6 folks on their initial allocation list who'd put down a deposit. (may have changed by now). Also seems like plenty of folks are changing or dropping their allocations (not me) but they are out there.

Good luck!
Yo...dial me into the rep at BMW who will easily extend out my lease. The only way they will extend a lease is by offering a "courtesy" 2 month extension OR if you give them a production order number. They will then extend the lease out for the duration until your car arrives at which time you can turn it in.

I even asked if I had a deposit down on a waiting list and they said they would only offer lease extensions to buyers with production order numbers.

This year's policy may have been altered from last year's. Who knows.

SS
      12-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #10
Sick Speed
Speed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Now View Post
Hey I'm a "porsche guy"(we're not so bad) but only for another 3 or 4 months. I can hardly wait to get my new M3 and I've never even driven one but I know I'm gonna love it.
You are in Tampa and you already have a production order number? That's funny because I just called all of the BMW dealers in the Tampa/St. Pete area and none of them have allocations yet.

Reeves Imports in Tampa has a waiting list of 13 people right now.

SS
      12-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
Sick Speed
Speed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
When you see an M3 around your neighborhood, you will regret it and kick yourself in the arse. When I bought my E46 M3, I was lookings at the 330ci at the time and my salesperson persuaded me on the M3. He was right and he knew what I was looking for especially, the prestegious M3.

For what it's worth,
It is not a question of WANTING to get an M3...only being ABLE to get one.

With no definitive order information and my lease end date rapidly approaching it is either drive my freakin' non-performance SUV or suck it up with a 335i for 24 months and then get into the M.

Nothing will compare to hearing that 8 rumble on the interior of the cabin.
      12-19-2007, 12:57 AM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
I am an M3 and a Porsche guy...they aren't that bad.
To 911 Now as well:

None of us are saying Porsche's nor "Porsche guys" are bad. The cars are brilliant and many Porsche guys are the real deal - true enthusiasts. I think our term "Porsche guy" just relates to a certain stereotype and maybe it is more apparent/applicable in the US. However, just like all stereotypes it is not universally true. Of course there are "BMW guys" as well which embodies certain negative stereotypes as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #13
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Sick Speed:

Swamp's right. Hold out if you can...

FWIW: I just let go of my 400 ft.lb. e92 after less than a year...I agree that it's not worth it using the reg. e92 as a temporary substitute.

Get that SUV detailed baby! Enjoy it!

P.S. I'm driving the F150 and the accord meanwhile as well.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #14
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Speed View Post
It is not a question of WANTING to get an M3...only being ABLE to get one.

With no definitive order information and my lease end date rapidly approaching it is either drive my freakin' non-performance SUV or suck it up with a 335i for 24 months and then get into the M.

Nothing will compare to hearing that 8 rumble on the interior of the cabin.
Hang in there. Units will be available shortly after launch at sticker as long as you dont mind taking a quick road trip/having the car shipped and as long as you aren't too picky on colors / options.

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #15
911 Now
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Speed View Post
You are in Tampa and you already have a production order number? That's funny because I just called all of the BMW dealers in the Tampa/St. Pete area and none of them have allocations yet.

Reeves Imports in Tampa has a waiting list of 13 people right now.

SS
Yes Sick Speed- You are correct. I do not have a production # yet. I'm only estimating (maybe a bit optomistically) based on being 3rd on the list at Reeves.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #16
911 Now
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
To 911 Now as well:

None of us are saying Porsche's nor "Porsche guys" are bad. The cars are brilliant and many Porsche guys are the real deal - true enthusiasts. I think our term "Porsche guy" just relates to a certain stereotype and maybe it is more apparent/applicable in the US. However, just like all stereotypes it is not universally true. Of course there are "BMW guys" as well which embodies certain negative stereotypes as well.
Thanks Swamp. I see myself as an enthusiast.
Appreciate 0