F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Anyone in Twin cities MN willing to test drive my 2014 335i
Studio RSR

08-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
umkc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive M-sport

Anyone in Twin cities MN willing to test drive my 2014 335i

Long story short: I feel like there is something wrong with my car's transmission and braking behavior. I took it to the dealer/service and they haven't found any issues,but they updated the software, yet somehow I am still not satisfied.

To put it in simpler words:
You know how driving a new car becomes your second nature after a while?
I still don't feel that after 3 months of owning this car. It still feels awkward to me. I was feeling this with the 320i loaner after driving it for 3 weeks, but not with my car. That tells me there is definitely something weird going on with this car.

I need someone who drives a similar car to mine, preferably 2014 335i, to test-drive my car. Please PM me for more details.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Fenster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

I can't drive your car since I'm in NC, but I have a 2014 335xi so if you can be a little more specific about what's bothering you maybe I can confirm what you are feeling.

I'm perfectly happy with my car but it took a while to settle in. Post here or PM me if you want to discuss.

Manual or AT? Mine is AT.

Last edited by Fenster; 08-12-2014 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Added transmission type question.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
CLittle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

If you're talking about jerky braking with extraneous downshifting (engine braking) then my car has it too. The car brakes smoother if you brake harder IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

I can help you out.. i have the same car.
2017 Alpina B6
22 Ram Trx / 22 M5 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
umkc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
I can't drive your car since I'm in NC, but I have a 2014 335xi so if you can be a little more specific about what's bothering you maybe I can confirm what you are feeling.

I'm perfectly happy with my car but it took a while to settle in. Post here or PM me if you want to discuss.

Manual or AT? Mine is AT.
Mine is AT.

I can never brake proper and come to a smooth stop. It is always abrupt. It feels like there is some assisted braking going on...or engine braking like CLittle mentioned.

Regarding transmission, I feel like it takes a lot of effort to get the car moving from a stop. Only once it reaches 30~40 mph, the car feels more alive. I can feel every up-shift and down-shift even in comfort mode. Also, It never seems to be in right gear when i take my foot off gas for a while and slam it down again during turns.

One more thing I am noticing is something new that started after the recent software update. I am not an expert, but i feel like when i brake to slow down to a desired speed and take foot off brake, the car still lurches forward for a micro second and then slows down to my desired speed. I did not notice this behavior before the update.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
umkc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloK View Post
I can help you out.. i have the same car.
sent a PM
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
Fenster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkc View Post
Mine is AT.

I can never brake proper and come to a smooth stop. It is always abrupt. It feels like there is some assisted braking going on...or engine braking like CLittle mentioned.
My car does seem to downshift at weird times when stopping, but not annoyingly so. This is my first AT in a long time, and I'm not saying who's right or wrong, but the AT doesn't downshift like I would when stopping. Occasionally even seems to downshift to first when stopping from a slow speed, like in a parking lot. I don't mind engine braking, used to do it all the time, but I never felt the need to actually engage first gear when stopping.

Quote:
Regarding transmission, I feel like it takes a lot of effort to get the car moving from a stop. Only once it reaches 30~40 mph, the car feels more alive. I can feel every up-shift and down-shift even in comfort mode. Also, It never seems to be in right gear when i take my foot off gas for a while and slam it down again during turns.
Assuming you're not in EcoPro mode, this doesn't sound right at all. Even in Comfort, mine is fast off the line and accelerates smoothly. Of course the harder you jam it the more abruptly it's going to shift, but in normal commuting I don't really notice the shifts. Sounds like something's not right.

As far as downshifting during turns, it could be the turbo lag you're feeling. If you don't keep the RPMs up (hard to do with an AT) the turbo will spin down. Try downshifting manually and see if it feels the same. Or put it in sport mode and see if the gear changes in the cluster display.

Quote:
One more thing I am noticing is something new that started after the recent software update. I am not an expert, but i feel like when i brake to slow down to a desired speed and take foot off brake, the car still lurches forward for a micro second and then slows down to my desired speed. I did not notice this behavior before the update.
Haven't experienced this....

Hope you get things working to your satisfaction. It's a great car, you should be able to enjoy it without worrying about it.
      08-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
0715AW335XI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I have the same car, 335Xi with AT.
0-30 doesn't feel slow to me, given that it does have a turbo engine... Maybe you are feeling a lag?
Braking is fine and very controllable.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Mine is AT.

The tranny on my '14 335i is a bit weird at low speeds, by which I mean <25mph.

Sometimes the car will seem to downshift too early or too much (i.e. down to 1st when it should go to 2nd) when coming to a stop. It's most noticeable when either coasting slowly up to a stop with either none or very light brakes. Around 15 - 20mph sometimes it seems like the car throws out a boat anchor and very rapidly slows down to about 3-4mph. Today I was slowly coasting up to a red light and the car slowed to a crawl too soon, literally about the speed of a 90 year old woman with arthritis and a walker.

It doesn't always do this, and I never notice it under moderate to heavy braking. This is typically in comfort mode. In eco it tends to behave a bit better although I almost never shift to eco mode unless I'm in heavy stop and go. And the only reason I shift to eco mode then is to avoid getting seasick from the aforementioned tranny behavior.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
umkc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Around 15 - 20mph sometimes it seems like the car throws out a boat anchor and very rapidly slows down to about 3-4mph. Today I was slowly coasting up to a red light and the car slowed to a crawl too soon, literally about the speed of a 90 year old woman with arthritis and a walker.
THIS....a million times THIS. This is exactly how it feels.

sometimes it seems like the car throws out a boat anchor
Thanks for articulating it perfectly
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
umkc
Private
United_States
Rep

Fenster,

I almost never drive in ECO. Do you have SAT? Mine is regular 8AT.

I am not sure if sport tranny can really help with my problems, but i have also made a post in the coding sub-forum and someone actually offered to help me in coding to SAT. I am not sure if it is worth the risk though. I could brick my car or void warranty or worse.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
Fenster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Fenster,

I almost never drive in ECO. Do you have SAT? Mine is regular 8AT.

I am not sure if sport tranny can really help with my problems, but i have also made a post in the coding sub-forum and someone actually offered to help me in coding to SAT. I am not sure if it is worth the risk though. I could brick my car or void warranty or worse.
Regular 8AT. Not sure you can code to SAT but if it can be done then the guys in the coding forum will know. They've been a great help to me.

OTOH, you shouldn't have to code your way out of a problem that shouldn't exist, while at the same time giving the dealer something to blame your problem on.

BTW, when I left work today I did an "Adaptive Transmission Reset" then drove home like a maniac so the AT might relearn my habits. Couldn't really tell any difference but then I wasn't having any real problems to begin with.
      08-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
Fenster
Private
Rep

Quote:
The tranny on my '14 335i is a bit weird at low speeds, by which I mean <25mph.

Sometimes the car will seem to downshift too early or too much (i.e. down to 1st when it should go to 2nd) when coming to a stop. It's most noticeable when either coasting slowly up to a stop with either none or very light brakes. Around 15 - 20mph sometimes it seems like the car throws out a boat anchor and very rapidly slows down to about 3-4mph. Today I was slowly coasting up to a red light and the car slowed to a crawl too soon, literally about the speed of a 90 year old woman with arthritis and a walker.

It doesn't always do this, and I never notice it under moderate to heavy braking. This is typically in comfort mode. In eco it tends to behave a bit better although I almost never shift to eco mode unless I'm in heavy stop and go. And the only reason I shift to eco mode then is to avoid getting seasick from the aforementioned tranny behavior.
I can't think of any good reason for a car in motion to engage first gear, but I'm almost sure mine occasionally does it in certain low speed conditions, like trolling around a parking lot.
      08-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Not many people complain about it, so I suspect we're doing something that causes the adaptive transmission to decide this behavior is what we want. Doing a reset might clear it up. I'm too lazy for that so I've just been living with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #15
CLittle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

I believe the boat anchor is the car maintaining a minimum rpm to drive the high output alternator while slowing down.

Sometimes it downshifts/slows/brakes smoothly, other times I feel like a teenager learning how to drive even though I'm braking with consistent pressure.

The actual vehicle stop is pretty difficult to master smoothly as well when slowly coming to a stop.

All these issues go away when I brake a little more firmly but my usual driving style is to coast to a stop to maximize battery recharging.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #16
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Is this your first BMW? BMW transmissions don't "coast" when you take your foot off the gas. They downshift to lower gears so they're ready to accelerate immediately. It sounds like this could be what you're experiencing.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

08-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #17
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Is this your first BMW? BMW transmissions don't "coast" when you take your foot off the gas. They downshift to lower gears so they're ready to accelerate immediately. It sounds like this could be what you're experiencing.
I've had an E36, E46, E53, E70, and now the F30. One BMW or another has been my daily driver since 1995. The F30 is the only one that exhibits this weird behavior.

I don't think you've experienced it, otherwise you wouldn't say it's normal. It's really not. Even my E70 X5 35i with the exact same engine and transmission doesn't do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
vader1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

Quote:
Is this your first BMW? BMW transmissions don't "coast" when you take your foot off the gas.
They do after adding sail mode to 2014's.

UMKC,

I have a 328xi so it is not the exact same car but I drove both models and except for the power, the engines/trannies behaved in the same manner. I know very little about regenerative braking but can the regen kick in harshly or stick? That might cause the abrupt stopping and slow getty-up.

Your car does not pull to one side at all like you might have a sticking caliper? Your rear brake rotors do not feel suspiciously hot like a stuck parking brake?

I guess I am unclear as if this feels like it is definately a transmission behavior, or if you are unsure if it is tranny/regen/brakes?

Those are all my ideas for now.

Last edited by vader1; 08-15-2014 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #19
alienranch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

I think it also has to do with regenerative breaking. This charges the battery a bit, but at the expense of "coasting".
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
Fenster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
Sailing (coasting) is fun. It's about the only thing I use Eco for. There's a long downhill on my commute where I drop into Eco and coast about 3/4 mile at 55 MPH and 750 RPM.

I don't know why I like that so much, but hey, it's a commute, you find your fun where you can .
      08-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #21
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I've had an E36, E46, E53, E70, and now the F30. One BMW or another has been my daily driver since 1995. The F30 is the only one that exhibits this weird behavior.

I don't think you've experienced it, otherwise you wouldn't say it's normal. It's really not. Even my E70 X5 35i with the exact same engine and transmission doesn't do it.
Well, of course, that's not what I said. But you're right I haven't experienced it. I've driven a wide assortment of F3x's now and haven't experienced any unusual transmission behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
Only in Eco Pro.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!