F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Taking the plunge with ACS springs
Studio RSR

07-25-2014, 05:20 AM   #1
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Talking Taking the plunge with ACS springs

I know this isn't exactly a new thing, if they were going onto a 335d, but I'm going to be putting them onto my 330d msport touring with adaptive.

I find at the moment that in comfort that it has quite alot more body roll than I'd like. It's a bit better in sport but I've always felt like I wanted sport to be more focused than it is presently.

Given that I live in Milton Keynes, body roll is something I notice a lot with all the roundabouts!

From what I've gathered (admittedly everything seems to be from people with 335s) it should help to change the car toward what I am hoping for. Fingers crossed the springs should be shipped very soon and then hoping to get it booked in for fitting late next week or early the one after...

I'm not expecting much ride height change (I have the mperf front splitter so hope the change won't make that start to catch speed bumps etc) but the better body control is something I'm really looking forward to.

If anyone wants before and after pics let me know and I'll try to take some measurements too if anyone is interested etc As long as they're not too numerous

Ade
Appreciate 2
      07-25-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Watching with interest, I'm deliberating over going the full kit (Springs/dampers), but. if springs alone make a big enough difference, then might just go with them.

Please can you do before and after measurements like in the 335d thread, simple arch to rim.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Is your car SDrive? (ie it already has stiffened lowered M Sport springs, shocks etc..?)

As Nisfan just mentioned I also enquired recently about the full M Performance chassis upgrade, £1500 just for the parts with no idea how much it would cost for them to install. Also, it's another 10mm lower than the M Sport setup and I have the full M Perf Kit on mine so not sure about speed bump clearance.

I was under the impression the ACS springs were more beneficial to the XDrive models?
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep

Will do Nisfan, I notice you're only in Bedford, I live on the Bedford side of Milton Keynes so can't be too far away. If you fancied meeting up to help make your mind up then i'm sure we could sort something out.

D4springer my car is an f31 sdrive 330d msport with msport+ pack, adaptive suspension and ppk.

After reading about the springs on 335s it seemed the biggest difference was about controlling body roll and making the springs feeling better matched to the dampers. Feeling is a bit firmer but not in a loss of comfort way. I spoke with Lorcan and it seems that this is also true when fitted vs the springs fitted to mine, so given as I wanted less bodyroll I figured it was worth a punt.

Lorcan recommended a few places that could do the fitting, and being as my dealer won't do them, I'm going with a local company he recommended. Good news with that is all in fitted is £560ish (with Lorcan praising their work I'm confident that all will be fine).

So yes I'm slightly nervous that the difference won't be what i'm hoping for but for that price I figure it's got to be worth a go and certainly can't' make it worse

Ade
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

It's worth a punt at £560, very good price.
Just make sure that price covers the KDS and xenon adjustment.

I think you've hit the nail on the head that it makes far more difference to xdrive cars as the springs are not great in the first place .
I hope its makes some noticeable difference on the sdrive, best of luck!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm informed the price includes everything.

I'll just be keeping everything crossed that it makes a meaningful difference
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Nice on Ade keep us posted - interested on my 330d xd
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7 View Post
Will do Nisfan, I notice you're only in Bedford, I live on the Bedford side of Milton Keynes so can't be too far away. If you fancied meeting up to help make your mind up then i'm sure we could sort something out.

D4springer my car is an f31 sdrive 330d msport with msport+ pack, adaptive suspension and ppk.

After reading about the springs on 335s it seemed the biggest difference was about controlling body roll and making the springs feeling better matched to the dampers. Feeling is a bit firmer but not in a loss of comfort way. I spoke with Lorcan and it seems that this is also true when fitted vs the springs fitted to mine, so given as I wanted less bodyroll I figured it was worth a punt.

Lorcan recommended a few places that could do the fitting, and being as my dealer won't do them, I'm going with a local company he recommended. Good news with that is all in fitted is £560ish (with Lorcan praising their work I'm confident that all will be fine).

So yes I'm slightly nervous that the difference won't be what i'm hoping for but for that price I figure it's got to be worth a go and certainly can't' make it worse

Ade
Yes that would be great, you are probably less than 15 minutes away.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
I'm informed the price includes everything.

I'll just be keeping everything crossed that it makes a meaningful difference
Ade,

Could you please let me know how you have gone on about ordering those? Dealer Direct? Or ACS?

Rough idea on cost of Parts & Labour?

Really want to go for them
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:34 AM   #10
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep

I've ordered them through the company fitting them, who are approved by ACS. The local dealer wouldn't quote me for them fullstop.

I had a quote from company in Northampton (Elite Motor Tune) for £600 all in but they weren't sure about the forum discount for springs and being as it was about the same price others were getting from dealers I thought it seemed a little high for an independent.

Prestige performance Centre in Milton Keynes are who I'm going with and the breakdown is £242.49 for springs £10 carriage and then £312 all in for fitting as per ACS guidelines inc realignment etc. So total £564.49

Being as Lorcan rated them both as being very good independents I'm confident all should go well.

I think the springs were due to arrive any day so I'll call them to check and see if I can get booked in for fitting

Ade
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #11
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, so the springs were fitted yesterday. I've not had a chance to do many miles yet, so my early first impressions are as follows..

I haven't managed to do an after picture as yet (i'll try and remember later today). The rear ride height looks lower one side to the other but I've done very few miles since collection so will allow a little more settling time before worrying about it.

Ride height reduction. The front and back averages lower by 15mm. It's notable to the eye but thankfully not so much it's starting to look "slammed" in my opinion (although on the downside it has made me think more about spacing the wheels out....... )

The front splitter has gone from 15cm centre to the ground down to just under 14cm where I measured it.

Driving observations so far.

The first thing you notice is the steering feels much more direct. A good healthy amount more initial turn in.

The second thing oddly is the brakes feel sharper. I guess the nose is diving less so it just feels like it's pulling up with more strength.

The ride is tricky to describe (for me anyway).

In comfort there is much less body roll and while the car still rides nicely it also feels more... taut, I suppose would be close. It's still civilised and comfortable but more purposeful with it. It's much more how I feel the car should have been. I think some would say it feels firmer but I'm not sure that's how I'd describe it, maybe more controlled is closer, less floaty??

In Sport mode then the car feels really composed, staying much flatter than before. Having only been able to chuck it around a few roundabouts it seems to hunker down and go around where before it was leaning more so therefore felt less happy to push on. Now it feels like it is encouraging you to do so. I'd go as far to say the ride actually feels more complete to me in sport. It just feels well matched where comfort feels nice sport feels right.

Overall am I happy? Yes, even with a short time at the wheel the car feels much better to me. It's taken away a lot of the body roll I didn't like without making the car ride like a runaway rollerskate. I fully expect that for some it won't be far enough, there is of course more that could be controlled, but for the cost I don't think you could ask for much more!

Ade
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Ok, so the springs were fitted yesterday. I've not had a chance to do many miles yet, so my early first impressions are as follows..

I haven't managed to do an after picture as yet (i'll try and remember later today). The rear ride height looks lower one side to the other but I've done very few miles since collection so will allow a little more settling time before worrying about it.

Ride height reduction. The front and back averages lower by 15mm. It's notable to the eye but thankfully not so much it's starting to look "slammed" in my opinion (although on the downside it has made me think more about spacing the wheels out....... )

The front splitter has gone from 15cm centre to the ground down to just under 14cm where I measured it.

Driving observations so far.

The first thing you notice is the steering feels much more direct. A good healthy amount more initial turn in.

The second thing oddly is the brakes feel sharper. I guess the nose is diving less so it just feels like it's pulling up with more strength.

The ride is tricky to describe (for me anyway).

In comfort there is much less body roll and while the car still rides nicely it also feels more... taut, I suppose would be close. It's still civilised and comfortable but more purposeful with it. It's much more how I feel the car should have been. I think some would say it feels firmer but I'm not sure that's how I'd describe it, maybe more controlled is closer, less floaty??

In Sport mode then the car feels really composed, staying much flatter than before. Having only been able to chuck it around a few roundabouts it seems to hunker down and go around where before it was leaning more so therefore felt less happy to push on. Now it feels like it is encouraging you to do so. I'd go as far to say the ride actually feels more complete to me in sport. It just feels well matched where comfort feels nice sport feels right.

Overall am I happy? Yes, even with a short time at the wheel the car feels much better to me. It's taken away a lot of the body roll I didn't like without making the car ride like a runaway rollerskate. I fully expect that for some it won't be far enough, there is of course more that could be controlled, but for the cost I don't think you could ask for much more!

Ade
Good to hear you like it too. The brakes improvement was one of the things I commented on, more because I hadn't expected it I think. Similarly there is a less squat under hard acceleration too.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #13
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Aaaaaargh, BMW Insurance says NO.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #14
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Just realised that you have an sdrive car, so the first non xdrive that's gone down this route... even more interesting to hear you're seeing the same improvements.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Just realised that you have an sdrive car, so the first non xdrive that's gone down this route... even more interesting to hear you're seeing the same improvements.
I am coming to the conclusion BMW have put too much variable spring rate in the springs. My car feels better 4 up than it does on my own. The extra weight obviously eliminates some of the first 'slushy' bit. So one up you are in a zone where the damper has more control over the suspension movement than the springs, which gives a harsh but floaty ride.

BMW Insurance won't cover my car if fitted with Bilstein PSS10 Komfort.....

Looks like I need to shop around for another insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I am coming to the conclusion BMW have put too much variable spring rate in the springs. My car feels better 4 up than it does on my own. The extra weight obviously eliminates some of the first 'slushy' bit. So one up you are in a zone where the damper has more control over the suspension movement than the springs, which gives a harsh but floaty ride.
I'm sure I made a similar comment on a thread back in about February about the car feeling better resolved when fully loaded. And on the tourer it's quieter when full too!

I'm also convinced that with a proper high end suspension set up that the F30 will handle really very well.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #17
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep

Right a few more runs out and things seems to have settled down a little more already so measurements are as follows.

Car parked in similar spot in front of house (not super level but comparative at least), measured from top of wheel to arch.

Before FL 11cm FR 10.6cm RR 9cm RL 9.7cm

After FL 9.5cm FR 9cm RR 7.5cm RL 7.8cm

Apologies for filthy car, that's what driving to and from Newcastle in the rain will do to it

Before

After

Ade
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #18
deeno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Xdrive M SPORT

Looks good! looks lower at the front than the ACS Xdrive cars but that might just be the way the pics were taken, the drop looks fairly consistent too.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #19
MarkWoods
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xdrive msport

Had a chat with my local dealer Marshalls Grimsby, and labour is £400. I didn't realise that the xDrive didn't automatically have MSport springs until too late to spec adaptive. Am I in the minority that have ordered in poverty spec? I'm happy with it apart from the suspension, it just needs an anchor on the bow and a propellor instead of the exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #20
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d g31 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWoods View Post
Had a chat with my local dealer Marshalls Grimsby, and labour is £400. I didn't realise that the xDrive didn't automatically have MSport springs until too late to spec adaptive. Am I in the minority that have ordered in poverty spec? I'm happy with it apart from the suspension, it just needs an anchor on the bow and a propellor instead of the exhaust!
Your not the only one without adaptive, I have poverty spec too.
However, It seems I may be the only one who is more than happy with the standard non adaptive suspension. I contemplated the springs but have decided to put the cash towards a dual exhaust. 400 is a decent rate from a dealership though, sandal bmw quoted 600 ish all in.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #21
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWoods View Post
I didn't realise that the xDrive didn't automatically have MSport springs until too late to spec adaptive.
The dealer really should have told you this. Mine didn't know either until I asked him to find out. I do get the impression that BMW sales staff might as well be flogging washing machines in Currys, for all they know about the cars. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but the ones I have dealt with were little more than strategically-shaved chimps in a shiny suit.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #22
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d g31 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
The dealer really should have told you this. Mine didn't know either until I asked him to find out. I do get the impression that BMW sales staff might as well be flogging washing machines in Currys, for all they know about the cars. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but the ones I have dealt with were little more than strategically-shaved chimps in a shiny suit.
The salesman i dealt with was new and had no idea about the adaptive, He did me a cracking deal though so all is forgiven.

From what i can gather a car without adaptive but with acs springs is a fair bit better than an adaptive car on stock springs. So, if anyone has the non adaptive on order and is concerned then for £600 it can be 'fixed'.
Appreciate 0