THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Just did a full bolt on Install---some pics and comments...

07-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Just did a full bolt on Install---some pics and comments...

Hello Guys...

So here it is.. this was done on a 2015 M235i yesterday mods are as follows:

Bought all this except kidney grilles, from Mike @ N54 tuning, great great guy excellent service

Da EnGlich not berrii good sow please-a do forgive-a

AFE Cold Air Intake
AR Intercooler
AR Charge Pipe
AR Downpipe
BMS Spacers (at first 10F & 15R, later 10R & 15F)
Black Kidney Grilles

JB4 Stage 2 will be installed later...

The Car:

The Items:

I don't have that much pics sorry but there were a few hiccups during the install I don't know if the model changed some bits in MY2015 or if the instructions from AR are wrong.

First of all we disconnected the negative battery terminal then we removed the wheels and front bumper, then we removed the intercooler as per AR instructions and the chargepipe, the removal of the downpipe was pretty quick about 2 minutes no problems you only have to turn it several times as it goes out from under the vehicle.

First problem came when we saw the AR chargepipe was actually bent so the clip would not fit, see pic below.

We used a screwdriver to put it back into place with the risk of breaking it, that worked out.

The second problem came when installing the AR Intercooler, the support bar does not fit like in the picture... the IC support bar is supposed to be screwed in two empty screw slots in the front of the car... there weren't any... so we had to modify the IC bar in order to fit below the screw of the front support bars, we had good luck that the front support bars are adjustable in the top so we could accommodate the IC bar, see pics below:

Fit of IC support bar:

Modified IC support bar to fit, we actually trimmed a bit more in order to fit the bumper screw all the way down:

Installed ER chargepipe:

Installed IC and Intake:

The Chargepipe was a pain to fit into the intercooler exit tube, it would not match the turn so we had to set the intercooler "free" of the IC support bar, make the AR Pipe fit the exit tube of the intercooler and then fix the IC to its support bar, otherwise the chargepipe and the intercooler exit tube would not line up... I don't know if this will be a problem later on because it is a tight fit... hopefully someone from ER could clarify.

The intercooler seemed a little bit dusty from the inside and had no ER markings like others I have seen, and had an extended lower plate that also had not seen in other ER ICīs before ... So ER could you guys explain I am curious.

The AFE intake is a 5 minute install period, make sure you handle that maf with care.

The ER Chargepipe was very easy too, no problems, great quality it was actually coated from ER to reduce hood temps... IT WORKS, downpipe emits much less heat than surrounding exhaust pipes, I think the coating upgrade is a MUST.

Now... the spacers, 10F & 15R LOOKS LIKE CRAP no point arguing, No pics you will have to take my worth for it... the front wheel is still too tucked in and the rear wheel sticks out too much, the rear makes it look very very VERY bad in my opinion I don't like wheels sticking out period... The solution? change the spacers around 15F & 10R I heard it was not supposed to fit BMS say minimum 15mm rear, I don't understand but does this looks like it does not fit to you?

It fits perfectly to me, it sits nice and flush, it just goes all the way in easily or I could be wrong!!! But again this is a MY15 eurospec model. 15F and 10R in this car is perfect period, flush without looking like too much.

NOW... THE DRIVE...

The car ran pretty bad IMO... when doing cold start it sounds "rattly" without the OEM downpipe... at first I thought it was a leak on the exhaust system... 15 seconds passed the bad exhaust sound went away and the car sounded OK.

I roll out of the garage half expecting a pipe to blow out in the first hint of boost and setting me and the car on fire... I immediately get a message "limited drivability go to the dealer ASAP!" I press OK on the idrive and it disappeared, checked faults... NO FAULTS... Maybe because I just disconnected the battery this happened... I don't know it never appeared again.

I let the car warm up... man oh man... it sounds like crap that intake makes all kinds of noises... its too loud and at part throttle it sounds like "boost leaking", exhaust too loud also, and boost seemed to build much slower than before and the car did not feel as quick as it used too. Man was I repented.. hope I could take this back... Drove home let the car in the garage and had another drive later, car seemed better but I was not sure still.

Next day drove some more... I don't know what the fuck happened, car ran much better now, smoother, quicker... boost build up much quicker than stock, much less noisy intake, exhaust was I don't know how to describe it but now I like it... It sounds a exotic and definitely gives it a lot of presence in sport mode.

- About 10% more power
- Quicker turbo spool
- MUCH MUCH power up top.
- Cool sounds from the intake

I have driven about 60 miles... no check engine light yet because of the catless downpipe.

So... was the car in need of adaptation because of the battery pull? it drives excellent now... definitely a worthy upgrade... I just hope the IC and charge pipes are very long lasting because I am really looking for reliability...

So thats it guys... for the ones that have this bolt ons... did you had similar experiences?

***UPDATE***

Car still drives fine... drove for about 200 miles still no cel light...

pics of spacers 15F & 10R

JC

Last edited by Jerich0; 07-23-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Nice man, that's a lot of changes at once! I dig it.

I fully agree with you on the 15mm rear spacers, they just look "off". I took mine off and replaced them with 5mm spacers which looks much better. 10mm might be even better but like you said, i hear they don't fit. Hmm. I have 12mm on the front which I think looks perfect, I guess I can try to fit them on the back and see if they fit? Though even 12mm would be too much I think...5mm is good, 10mm might be better.

BTW H&R's website also says that 10m and 12mm only fit on the front, they list 3mm, 5mm, 13mm and 15mm for the rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
qballis
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp xdrive

Don't the MY 2015's no longer have the ///M badges on the front quarter panels?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballis View Post
Don't the MY 2015's no longer have the ///M badges on the front quarter panels?
You notice that but fail to see the missing orange fender reflectors? OP is in Mexico... they do whatever they want there.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Will post some pics when I have a chance of the current stance...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEngineer View Post
Don't go to a dealer with all that warranty voiding equipment on the car. Sounds like the tune loaded was the auto learn. That'll take 50-100 miles to work. Next, I don't know how or why guys stay in CA that sell performance parts when they cant even sell
to customers in their own state anymore. CA needs to drop all their laws on air problems. I've seen and talked to more than a few meteorologists and seen the satellite photos of the pollution from China drifting across the Pacific and depositing itself in CA. Weneed to punish China, not CA.
Bimmer is this a tune that the car uses ? Because I have not installed the JB4 yet...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Interested in this also since I'm about to install the exact same mods you just added.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharo1 View Post
Interested in this also since I'm about to install the exact same mods you just added.
Let me know if you have any questions...

Added spacers pictures...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

Where are the spacers pictures?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

so you like bigger spaces on the front than on the rear....?

seems the opposite of what most are doing....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
so you like bigger spaces on the front than on the rear....?

seems the opposite of what most are doing....
I actually have mine like that now too, 12mm front and 5mm rear. Naturally the car has a wider rear track and even with this setup, the rear is still slightly wider. 15mm on the rear, without being lowered, just looks odd from certain angles.

I'd be curious to see how it would look with 12mm front and 10mm back though, could be perfect. There's actually a local guy selling just that, Burger 12mm and Burger 10mm spacers on Craigslist. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

Just saw in the other thread that you have no JB4. No problems with CEL and having a different downpipe or is yours a catted downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I think the rears should have been left alone, but it's hard to tell from those pics. 5mm might be better. The front looks great though, just not sure on the rear wheel spacers.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Just saw in the other thread that you have no JB4. No problems with CEL and having a different downpipe or is yours a catted downpipe?
I have not installed the JB4 although I have it, I wanted to do the bolt ons first and drive it for a while that way in case something goes wrong I know the JB4 was not the problem only something I screwed up with the install.

Now that you ask about the catless downpipe... I have been driving about 200 miles and four days like this, NO CEL... which is strange I know... Also I want to add that there is absolutely NO SMELL coming from the car at all, or haven't noticed but I doubt it since I am picky about smells and my garage is enclosed so I am bound to notice it, so thats excellent news too.

Noise has increased about 20% no drone, just a little bit raspy but in a good way... almost exotic like...
Appreciate 1