THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics BMW Assist and Connect

06-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

BMW Assist and Connect

This is my first BMW, so please forgive my ignorance.

Could someone teach me how to set up BMW Assist, which I believe is called BMW ConnectedDrive in Europe.

I also downloaded an app called BMW Connect. My understanding is that I can sync it with the car through USB cable, but when I'm not in the car, is the data transferred through internet? Therefore, I need to set up the BMW Assist first so that I have online access to the car?

It's a little confusing to me. Never dealt with so many technologies in a car before. Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichenlt View Post
This is my first BMW, so please forgive my ignorance.

Could someone teach me how to set up BMW Assist, which I believe is called BMW ConnectedDrive in Europe.

I also downloaded an app called BMW Connect. My understanding is that I can sync it with the car through USB cable, but when I'm not in the car, is the data transferred through internet? Therefore, I need to set up the BMW Assist first so that I have online access to the car?

It's a little confusing to me. Never dealt with so many technologies in a car before. Thanks everyone!
Hit the assist button tell them you just purchased the car and want to do initial set-up. That's all I did.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post
Hit the assist button tell them you just purchased the car and want to do initial set-up. That's all I did.
Prior to doing this, you should have filled out the BMW Assist Subscriber Agreement paperwork at the dealership. They have to submit it to BMW Assist before you can complete the setup process via the in-car Assist button.

For me, the paperwork was filled out and submitted on a Friday afternoon, but I couldn't finish the setup until Monday morning.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks both, I'll push that button and see if my dealer has submitted the paperwork for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
SteveAustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

Go to Information then FAQ section of the App it explains everything. You have to open the App before or after it's connected...kind of a PIA. Not all that impressed with it but the Pandora and other items are ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep

When I first opened up the BMW Assist app, the demo showed that you can vent the car using auxiliary power or something like that prior to you getting to the car. Then when I activated my account, the app doesn't have that function. Is it only available in Europe?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichenlt View Post
When I first opened up the BMW Assist app, the demo showed that you can vent the car using auxiliary power or something like that prior to you getting to the car. Then when I activated my account, the app doesn't have that function. Is it only available in Europe?
I believe that is still the case. I think I remember reading some instances of people with jailbroken devices loading the European version of the app and getting it to work though...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Works just fine on a vanilla Canadian iPhone and car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
Works just fine on a vanilla Canadian iPhone and car.
so you have that Climate button on top of the online search? That's interesting, I thought the US and Canada had the same app.
Appreciate 0