M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

06-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #1
Quickslide
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Noisy Brakes - F10 M5

Hi Everyone,

So I have had my 2013 M5 now for about 4 months and I must say it is a fantastic car. I was sure that I would regret trading in my V10 R8 for it but I have never looked back, what a fantastic machine!!

The only issue I have however, although it may seem minor to some people is that the brakes are horrendously noisy when doing everyday braking.

The car is only really used for the work commute so only does maybe 200 miles a month and is driven about 4-5 times a week.

The noise that is coming from the brakes is the very high pitch 'squeel' that you get when your pads need to be changed. I took the car back to the garage where I bought it from and they said that basically the pads are high performance and if they are not getting up to high enough temperatures they will 'glaze over' which creates this squeeling noise.

The pads are fine and there is plenty left on them (car has done 9k miles).

Are they talking bollocks or is this a legitimate issue that I just have to live with??

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is the only thing that is a thorn in the side when driving the car, everything else is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

What you were told is correct. There are numerous threads here on how to mitigate the 'noise', which btw is a normal occurrence for a high performance braking system.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Do some spirited driving and they will settle back down.. I have the same issue when I don't drive my car much but if I have some fun and work the brakes it stops..
      10-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
After you wash your car do a few hard braking stops and the noise will go away. Mine did.
      12-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
JR429
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: W212, GTR, 997 TT; F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickslide View Post
Hi Everyone,

So I have had my 2013 M5 now for about 4 months and I must say it is a fantastic car. I was sure that I would regret trading in my V10 R8 for it but I have never looked back, what a fantastic machine!!

The only issue I have however, although it may seem minor to some people is that the brakes are horrendously noisy when doing everyday braking.

The car is only really used for the work commute so only does maybe 200 miles a month and is driven about 4-5 times a week.

The noise that is coming from the brakes is the very high pitch 'squeel' that you get when your pads need to be changed. I took the car back to the garage where I bought it from and they said that basically the pads are high performance and if they are not getting up to high enough temperatures they will 'glaze over' which creates this squeeling noise.

The pads are fine and there is plenty left on them (car has done 9k miles).

Are they talking bollocks or is this a legitimate issue that I just have to live with??

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is the only thing that is a thorn in the side when driving the car, everything else is amazing.
Try "bedding" the brakes by going to 60mph, 50mph, 40mph, 30mph hard stops. Usually this will take care of it.