E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Control arm bushings

06-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #1
montegokid94
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Control arm bushings

I got my KW installed this week and my mechanic (good guy) told me my front upper control arm bushings are shot. He suggested I replace the lower control arm bushings as well.

My car has 41k miles and just ended the 4/50k and CPO kicked in. I have always had a shimmy/weird vibration in wheel thought rotors might need to be resurfaced. I told my dealer to check it out and they said everything is fine should I go complain or not even bother.

Whats the best place to buy control arm bushings? Any upgraded ones we can buy I was reading looks like for xi this is a no go. Also some say lower control arm bushings never fail only the upper do and is $125 labor fair to swap bushings?

thx
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by montegokid94 View Post
I got my KW installed this week and my mechanic (good guy) told me my front upper control arm bushings are shot. He suggested I replace the lower control arm bushings as well.

My car has 41k miles and just ended the 4/50k and CPO kicked in. I have always had a shimmy/weird vibration in wheel thought rotors might need to be resurfaced. I told my dealer to check it out and they said everything is fine should I go complain or not even bother.

Whats the best place to buy control arm bushings? Any upgraded ones we can buy I was reading looks like for xi this is a no go. Also some say lower control arm bushings never fail only the upper do and is $125 labor fair to swap bushings?

thx
Look up my thread in this Subforum - I reference Strongflex.eu as the only source of XI control arm bushings

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Got my TC Kline coilovers installed 2 weeks ago, have been hearing a squeaking noise from left front ever since. Only noticeable at low speeds, and only when hitting bumps/dips etc. On smooth roads no noise. This thread makes me wonder if the control arm bushings are making the noise? OP, did you have any noises like this? Not trying to thread jack, honest.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
jezzy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon

I just changed my rear lower outer control arm bushing. 200$ installed and still need an alignment. But the squeak is gone. It was so bad you can hear me coming from 2 streets away. Ugh!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
I just had my alignment done after my TCkline Koni install and when I brake my wheel pulls slightly to the right and from outside the car slow 2mph and hard braking you can see the wheel move forward. Everything was checked and I recently upgraded my front endlinks with Meyle HD's so I am pretty sure My control arm bushings are on the way out. I am going to order these strongflex ref: 031528B and I will update you all when I am finished. Here is a link.

http://www.strongflex.eu/en/bmw-e93-...-bush-4x4.html
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #6
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi View Post
I just had my alignment done after my TCkline Koni install and when I brake my wheel pulls slightly to the right and from outside the car slow 2mph and hard braking you can see the wheel move forward. Everything was checked and I recently upgraded my front endlinks with Meyle HD's so I am pretty sure My control arm bushings are on the way out. I am going to order these strongflex ref: 031528B and I will update you all when I am finished. Here is a link.

http://www.strongflex.eu/en/bmw-e93-...-bush-4x4.html
Did you ever order those? You described to a T what I've been experiencing since I installed my V3's. I think I ruined my bushings on install. I get the jerk of the wheel and vibration on braking.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Did you ever order those? You described to a T what I've been experiencing since I installed my V3's. I think I ruined my bushings on install. I get the jerk of the wheel and vibration on braking.
I finally had the bushings replaced almost 2 weeks ago and I am so impressed with the results. My stock bushings were in bad shape and braking was causing the front wheel and steering wheel to move. Now my steering feels tighter and I am experiencing a much better connection input from the road. I also notice the bumps are being absorbed much better from the suspension now. I am not sure how long this problem has been going on but I can say my car has never been more comfortable, nimble, responsive, and predictable than it is right now. These bushings are a huge upgrade over the soft stock ones. Please remember I have everything else already done so usually the weakest link is exposed when you begin upgrading. Overall they are wonderful and I will highly recomend them in the future. Install took about 1 hour with a skilled mechanic, the correct tools and lots of lube. lol. Best of luck and report back when you get them in. I am curious if others experiences are the same as mine with this upgrade.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
westchester335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sour Diesel and Haze

Your symptoms of the wheel moving when braking is what my car does often. My car had 40k miles when I lowered it in July and noticed the bushings to be shot.

Still didn't get a alignment yet but I will order these soon. And report back after install.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Bladerunner
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

I'm having the same issues when braking, I was thinking of m3 Bushings but may get these instead!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #10
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
I finally had the bushings replaced almost 2 weeks ago and I am so impressed with the results.
These bushings are a huge upgrade over the soft stock ones.
Woo hoo, Im glad it worked out, especially since you went for the Street oriented 80A vs the aggresive 90a

Any Pics? & How much was shipping and any Customs fees with the company?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
I'm having the same issues when braking, I was thinking of m3 Bushings but may get these instead!
Im not sure if the e90 M3 front large style bushing from bmw, TRW or lemforder will fit the XI arm

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

so should we bother with changing parts to oem m3 or trw and instead focus on strong flex or the powerflex urethane ones?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #13
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
so should we bother with changing parts to oem m3 or trw and instead focus on strong flex or the powerflex urethane ones?
if you have an XI, you dont have choice for the front.

If you have RWD you have more options - often the M3/TRW arms offer all the bushings you need. And may be cheaper to install than bushings

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 12:37 AM   #14
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
if you have an XI, you dont have choice for the front.

If you have RWD you have more options - often the M3/TRW arms offer all the bushings you need. And may be cheaper to install than bushings
Rwd
That makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
almostfullcity
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Quote:
I finally had the bushings replaced almost 2 weeks ago and I am so impressed with the results. My stock bushings were in bad shape and braking was causing the front wheel and steering wheel to move. Now my steering feels tighter and I am experiencing a much better connection input from the road. I also notice the bumps are being absorbed much better from the suspension now. I am not sure how long this problem has been going on but I can say my car has never been more comfortable, nimble, responsive, and predictable than it is right now. These bushings are a huge upgrade over the soft stock ones. Please remember I have everything else already done so usually the weakest link is exposed when you begin upgrading. Overall they are wonderful and I will highly recomend them in the future. Install took about 1 hour with a skilled mechanic, the correct tools and lots of lube. lol. Best of luck and report back when you get them in. I am curious if others experiences are the same as mine with this upgrade.
I'm thinking it's time to replace the front bushings on my 06 330xi. Looking pretty hard at the Strongflex option over OEM. Did ording go smoothly? Any trouble with shipping to the US from Poland?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #16
Adamb0530
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Ordered a set of the stongflex bushings last Monday and arrived yesterday. That's quicker than some U.S. vendors. Cant wait to install.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #17
Adamb0530
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Just a follow up. Installed the bushings yesterday and i am very happy with the outcome. The front end feels much more planted to the ground and has a lot less bump steer. Solid product for the price.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I ended up buying new Lemforder upper and lower control arms as well as new ball joints and DIY'd it in my garage a couple weekends ago. First side was a bit of a job having never done it before....second side was a breeze except for the ball joint. It was fused to the steering arm! I pounded on that thing for a good hour. I used the harbour freight ball joint tool and that thing worked like a charm for popping the arms off the joints....highly recommend buying one if you plan on doing this job....it would have been a long, miserable job without it.

The old bushings were all trashed. The large lower/rear front control bushings were ripped and you could swivel all of them with your pinky finger and thumb....massive play and of course the culprit for all of my issue .

The end result was quite shocking. Brake shudder....gone. Sloppy crashing and pulling over bumps....gone. absolutely rock solid! Truly night and day. I love driving my car again and I can really enkoy my V3's now without all the slop and poor handling/braking. I haven't gotten it aligned yet but it tracks perfectly straight and the stance is looking really nice. I ended up raising up my front a half inch and I just can't say enough about replacing these components to get your ride back to what a BMW should drive/feel like. On ramps are my bitch now!

Cost including the ball joint tool and a 23mm long craftsmen wrench cake to just under $600 including shipping. I spent about 10 hours between a Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

Having good torque wrenches and good tools as well as two jacks is critical. Don't forget the 23 mm wrench and socket. They're oddball sizes, apparently.

Pm or email me with questions if you are going to tackle this yourself and want some advice.

Do not skip or fail to compress the front end to normal ride height before you torque and even slightly tighten the bushing bolts/nuts. They will be held in that position and then twisted wen you drop it down and fail quickly for sure. That was the trickiest and sketchiest part.... maneuvering around with the steering/wheel assembly pressed up into the fender and torquing in weird poaitions to get the bolts all tightened properly.

One tip I will share is if you have coilovers....just turn the spring all the way down to make raising the assembly easier and under less pressure.

Cheers, fellas.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #19
B4LL3N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 335xi FBO / E70 X5 N55

I've been experiencing a steering vibration problem for months now with no resolution. I've replaced all four wheels (OEM 230s) and tires and had them road force balanced 3 times now.

Do you think these bushings may offer a resolution to this issue? If so do I just order 4 from the site above and have them installed? The only other thing I can think of is that my rear roters and pads are trashed, however I don't have the wheel vibration on braking, just 40 to 70 mph in a strait line.

I'm absolutely lost here...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 03:49 AM   #20
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4LL3N View Post
I've been experiencing a steering vibration problem for months now with no resolution. I've replaced all four wheels (OEM 230s) and tires and had them road force balanced 3 times now.

Do you think these bushings may offer a resolution to this issue? If so do I just order 4 from the site above and have them installed? The only other thing I can think of is that my rear roters and pads are trashed, however I don't have the wheel vibration on braking, just 40 to 70 mph in a strait line.

Hmmm. Not sure what to say on high speed vibration. Bushings may help....how many miles on your car and original bushings? I can say it was an incredible improvement for me but I had shudder/brake vibrations and steering pull under braking...not at speed.

Worth having your bushings inspected for sure after all you've done so far. Hope you figure it out, brother!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #21
B4LL3N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 335xi FBO / E70 X5 N55

Funny you mention the bushings (Thrust arms), I had it done this week hopefully picking it up tonight. Just waiting for them to replace a defective rim. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #22
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4LL3N View Post

i have the same issue. done all the balancing and even swapped wheels. its definitely your bushings. i would look to replace the upper and lower control arms. they are about $90 a piece via ecstuning or any other parts supplier. Its a much easier DIY than having to press in new bushings.