New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #67
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
People I keep talking to really dislike the Cayman. I, on the other hand, love it. Congrats on the new car!

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #68
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

It has the best possible engine mounting. The 911 is the top dog simply due to brand cachet and racing history. If Porsche wasn't so insistent on keeping it that way (can't blame them; it's way too late now), then they wouldn't have to bother with these ridiculous models like the 911 GT2 RS to fend off competitors like the GTR in terms of track performance. Can't argue with the 997.2's perfect looks though, especially the GT3's. God that thing is perfect.

Anyways, congrats OP.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #69
Solonng
Captain
Rep

Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

I think that the problem is a lot of BMW drivers drive BMW for status symbols. So when a Cayman S isnt a 911, people think that its another version of the Boxer. Nothing wrong with the Cayman or the Boxer, it is a Porsche and thats more than most cars can ever be.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #70
Solonng
Captain
Rep

Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

Boxster!! sorry for the typo
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #71
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
I assume none of you have driven the V6 panamera

Its actually quite peppy and fast...The Panamera 4 is not that much heavier than a 335xi...I would say it feels a tad peppier than a 535i...anyone who has been in a 535 can relate then.

Buy Panamera V6 for the handling, luxury, brand, status, looks, practicality -- and it drives like no other car!

To OP: Don't know of any tunes yet; I doubt the V6 will get much tune with the V8 and twin turbo so readily available. There are ext body kits, but they are very expensive.
Have you ever driven on a track?

I love the Panamera. It's lightweight for its size, and a feather relative to direct class competitors. The F10 535i's curb is somewhere around 4050 pounds. The Panamera V6 is just a hair under 3900, with a wheelbase that's a couple inches shorter but a greater overall body length. I'd blame the F10's heavy figures on the intensive use of steel (not a fan of BMW going the steel route with all the new F-series cars. They're becoming the heavyweight in every class, even heavier than relative Audis with their AWD systems).

Anyways, my point is, there is absolutely no way in hell anybody can compare a Panamera to a Cayman. It's like comparing an M5 to a Z4M. The M5 might be quick for its size, but it lacks the short wheelbase and light curb weight, sapping all the fun out of pushing it to its limits.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #72
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

wait...wat...ninja derete?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #73
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep

Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
wait...wat...ninja derete?
ninjjjjja'd

he posted it in the panamra thread below lol
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #74
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
Have you ever driven on a track?

I love the Panamera. It's lightweight for its size, and a feather relative to direct class competitors. The F10 535i's curb is somewhere around 4050 pounds. The Panamera V6 is just a hair under 3900, with a wheelbase that's a couple inches shorter but a greater overall body length. I'd blame the F10's heavy figures on the intensive use of steel (not a fan of BMW going the steel route with all the new F-series cars. They're becoming the heavyweight in every class, even heavier than relative Audis with their AWD systems).

Anyways, my point is, there is absolutely no way in hell anybody can compare a Panamera to a Cayman. It's like comparing an M5 to a Z4M. The M5 might be quick for its size, but it lacks the short wheelbase and light curb weight, sapping all the fun out of pushing it to its limits.
Yea man...I opened up several tabs and responded to the wrong one.

I just found out that the Panamera 4 is 90 KG heavier than my 335xi. We have a Panny 4 as well.

Damn, THAT is impressive for a 4 door saloon -- that is also why the 300 HP and 300 torques is sufficient; the damn car is lighter than a 5 series. Its expensive for what it is -- but thats badge money! Or perhaps it can be said its the money that makes it so light.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #75
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep

Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
I know what BEAST means...it doesn't apply to the 3 series. But with Porsche, which is more of a status car than a BMW (because Porsche is more strongly associated with being a sports car, whereas BMW is just a sedan/compromise car) -- status immediately plays a bigger role with Porsche. There is no logic here, it JUST is. And I know you know what I mean, just think of Porsche and Ferrari and Lambo, what comes to you mind? Do the same with BMW, its a big difference based on ur gut reactions.

He is saying your gut reaction when you see a Cayman isn't to be in awe of it as you would be a 911. It just doesn't have that cachet. BMW you don't get the same reaction, because no one cares - no one really looks at BMW in awe, except maybe an M3 or M5...even that not for long.

But what most of you guys are saying, is who cares? Its a technically such an AMAZING car -- go for it! It really is a hoot to drive, so responsive, sonorous, agile, with great feedback!

I agree with most of you guys, that you should get what you want to get. Technically, the Cayman is AMAZING. Like I said, best car for value, if you're a driver -- just amazing.

For some people personally, as amazing as the Cayman is, its not a 911. But Meh, a real man does what he wants...who cares what people on boards think!
Very well said...

As much as I agree, I'd have to say I wouldn't remember a 911 an hour later if it passed me. Yes the Cayman is looked upon as a lesser Porsche, yet many don't take a 911 into much notice to begin with. Unfortunately, many people don't realize how intensely euphoric and advanced Porsche vehicles are, and having the lower-end model of a vehicle people seldom take into account is just fine for me. And I doubt I'd ever run into a 911, let alone another Porsche driving in a Cayman

Plus the fact that the vehicle beautiful and is an amazing platform for building something better would have me itching to buy one, had a saw one drive by. Kind of the same feeling when you see an old E30. Money limits are forgotten as you put together a masterpiece.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #76
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep

Drives: 325xi

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #77
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post
Very well said...

As much as I agree, I'd have to say I wouldn't remember a 911 an hour later if it passed me. Yes the Cayman is looked upon as a lesser Porsche, yet many don't take a 911 into much notice to begin with. Unfortunately, many people don't realize how intensely euphoric and advanced Porsche vehicles are, and having the lower-end model of a vehicle people seldom take into account is just fine for me. And I doubt I'd ever run into a 911, let alone another Porsche driving in a Cayman

Plus the fact that the vehicle beautiful and is an amazing platform for building something better would have me itching to buy one, had a saw one drive by. Kind of the same feeling when you see an old E30. Money limits are forgotten as you put together a masterpiece.
Agreed, on that absolute point both the Cayman and the 911 are amazing cars for the value -- The 911 has that feedback and power that even the R8 is having trouble matching (steering feedback mostly, from what I ready and test drove).

And they cayman is simply the best value sports car there is -- where else will you find a mid-engined car with communicative steering, a boxer 6 engine, responsive NA engine (this is key, no turbo charging nonsense), and its light, nimble, agile.

And hell its even got a Porsche badge; its way better than say a Z4.

!!! Slick car. No doubt.

I will say though that I would remember a 911 S or GT3 or Turbo...but that is different territory.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #78
Robert
Major General
Rep

Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechUT View Post
Clarkson is a bit too opinionated, do whatever...

A lot of other opinions say a Cayman S almost relegates a base 911 unnecessary for Porsche to make or sell.

All I would say is a Cayman is not the most reliable P-car, so hope you have better luck than with your 335.
According to JD powers and consumer report Cayman/Boxster is the most reliable Porsche and Porsche itself is usually #1 or #2 in car manufacturer ranking list. It's not without flaws, yes. I have spent some time on their forum but think quality in-terms of Lexus level.

Congrats to the owner I think I will make this move next year. I switched from 135i to a is350 last year because it being the most unreliable car I have ever driven. Now I am missing the clutch and getting a little tired of the weight of the car every time I turn in. Cayman will fit the bill nicely. May consider a TPC turbo bolt on kit when I need more power, 485hp on a sub 3000lb car will be more than sufficient.
      12-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #79
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
According to JD powers and consumer report Cayman/Boxster is the most reliable Porsche and Porsche itself is usually #1 or #2 in car manufacturer ranking list. It's not without flaws, yes. I have spent some time on their forum but think quality in-terms of Lexus level.

Congrats to the owner I think I will make this move next year. I switched from 135i to a is350 last year because it being the most unreliable car I have ever driven. Now I am missing the clutch and getting a little tired of the weight of the car every time I turn in. Cayman will fit the bill nicely. May consider a TPC turbo bolt on kit when I need more power, 485hp on a sub 3000lb car will be more than sufficient.
I'm also fairly certain Clarkson does all that so he can command an income/pay for food on the table.

Its his style -- he sells because of his provocative style (as so money Britons do), its in their culture -- English people/culture are masters of management and dealing with people; very smooth yet somehow very firm and strong. He has this brash swagger that sells -- without that he would be unemployed.

Another master of presentation/class with tremendous people skill is Tiff Needell, but he has a lot more class than Clarkson.

So yea I wouldn't take what he says seriously - it really is just opinion. Clarkson loves Ferraris and what not, but the simple reality is they are tough to afford, break down a lot, and expensive to maintain. Of course if you choose the most expensive car it will often be the best!!! No shocker there!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #80
ak335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Cayman S

Thanks guys..

Ive driven the cayman 400 plus miles in the last two days and ill i can say the car is just amazing to drive...

Power wise compared to the 335 i would have to say is the same, but i do think the cayman pulls harder at higher speeds, and has a much higher top speed due (171) to the 335 being limited at 155.

The thorttle responce is worlds better than the 335, there is Zero lag, its just instant power... One thing i did notice is that the 335 really died after 6k RPM power wise, but the cayman is the oppostie the engine really shines and sounds amazing after 4k rpm to its redline at 7300 RPM

As for handling the 335 was no doubt great, but the cayman is just that much better, the car is very predictable and you have much more confidence drving the cayman than the 335.. its the same story with the brakes aswell, they are also better then the 335

If you can live with having a two seater car its well worth the swtich, here are a few more pics i took with my phone

12-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #81
Robert
Major General
Rep

Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3AST View Post
I love how every person on this board 'automatically' knows what cars other members have or haven't driven. 'You're positive' are you?! Is there some sort of crystal ball that you get if you purchase a premium e90post subscription? Why didn't I get the memo?
You do lose creditability when quoting Clarkson at face value. Everyone knows on Top Gear he is entertainer first and serious automotive journalist second. Furthermore, if Cayman doesn't cut the mustard then a E90 with a "step" won't be anywhere near the mustard

He said these about the 3 series
Quote:
As usual BMW claims that it’s an all-new car and that every panel is different from the saloon’s. But it still looks dull. You’d only really want to get inside it if you were being chased by an armed gang from Shining Path.

As a driver’s car, then, this is yet another winner. But I still wouldn’t buy one.

You need to think of it as a painting by the world’s greatest artist. Yes, the brush strokes are magnificent. Yes, the texture is superb. Yes, the perspective is world class and the detailing is better than you’d get from Leonardo.

But what he’s actually painted in this case is big dog turd.
Perhaps at this point you should start thinking about selling the dog turd? Problem with quoting Clarkson is he's fickle, he will say anything controversial to stir the pot and create commotion .

Last edited by Robert; 12-05-2010 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #82
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
If you maintained your 335 the way you maintain that garage no wonder it was unreliable...
what a shitty post
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #83
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
You do lose creditability when quoting Clarkson at face value. Everyone knows on Top Gear he is entertainer first and serious automotive journalist second. Furthermore, if Cayman doesn't cut the mustard then a E90 with a "step" won't be anywhere near the mustard

He said these about the 3 series

Perhaps at this point you should start thinking about selling the dog turd? Problem with quoting Clarkson is he's fickle, he will say anything controversial to stir the pot and create commotion .
You sir, WIN.

Thankyou for bringing common sense back to this thread. The cayman S is truly a magnificent sports car. Those who say it isn't (or dare say a 944 is better!) are just ass hats pretending to be car lovers.
Appreciate 0