New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-27-2017, 08:04 AM   #23
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
[img]https://68.media.tumblr.com/0ec2613c...hvsko1_500.gif[/img]

Okay, there are ten ACRs available, seven are 2017s. I actually thought they'd died a few years ago as I haven't even seen one on the road in ages.

Mildly more interested. How does the entire Viper community not have a decent driver though? Shipping isn't expensive, but it does appear that a full day rental of the N'Ring is 60k Euros, assuming they don't pull some strings for that, I suppose that's where most of that funding was going.
A "decent driver" would be pointless exercise and a giant fail. We would learn that a "decent driver" is far behind all the rest of the cars. That's why I think these records are pointless and mostly used for the owner of the car to brag about what his car could do if someone else was driving it, never him.

Then a few seconds around a track that is almost 13 miles long, not something that would matter to me on a car that will normally be used to go to dinner. I buy a slightly slower car and end up a fraction of a second behind someone at a non timed track day, don't care as none of them are races and no one "wins".
      07-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #24
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Subaru Sets 6:57.5 Nurburgring Four-Door Lap Record
Heavily modified doesn't count, you can make anything go fast with enough money dumped into it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #25
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Subaru Sets 6:57.5 Nurburgring Four-Door Lap Record

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/su...or-lap-record/
That's not a production car though. It's a 1-off time attack rally spec STI. Still cool, but in my eyes doesn't count.
      07-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #26
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
That's not a production car though. It's a 1-off time attack rally spec STI. Still cool, but in my eyes doesn't count.
Ahh, forgive me, with the splitter and aerodynamics on that Dodge, it looked like pretty much the same kind of performance modding to me.
      07-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #27
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Ahh, forgive me, with the splitter and aerodynamics on that Dodge, it looked like pretty much the same kind of performance modding to me.
Interesting how many of these questions can be answered from reading the article and not just looking at the pictures -

Quote:
The Viper 'Ring Record Run powered by Kumho and co-sponsored by Prefix brought two brand-new, bone-stock 2017 Viper ACRs in the commemorative GTS-R spec (just a livery, no mechanical changes) to the famed German racetrack.
Seems a long way away from the Subaru.
      07-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #28
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

This is the most bizarre thread I've ever seen.....
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      07-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #29
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Interesting how many of these questions can be answered from reading the article and not just looking at the pictures -

Quote:
The Viper 'Ring Record Run powered by Kumho and co-sponsored by Prefix brought two brand-new, bone-stock 2017 Viper ACRs in the commemorative GTS-R spec (just a livery, no mechanical changes) to the famed German racetrack.
This. Good god.
      07-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #30
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #31
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
You understand that the Viper, as it sits, can be purchased off the showroom floor (as stated in the article).

To replicate the Subaru, would probably cost another $100K on top of the showroom stock Impreza.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 07:20 AM   #32
M3Tooner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M3 DCT ZCP

Awesome drive! Dominik thinks there is 5 more seconds possible.

Appreciate 4
      07-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #33
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
They're having another go at it next month. As far as I know the cars have been stored in Germany till then and the organisers need to raise $50k more to make it happen. Should get a sub 7 minute time unless they have to deal with rain issues again.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #34
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I donated $250 to the effort

It's sad I see so many incredibly expensive track cars in track days but people prefer to trailer a GT3 RS than an actually fast track car, the Viper ACR.

Just goes to show that although people talk about performance at track days what they really want is to show off their expensive cars.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #35
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
You understand that the Viper, as it sits, can be purchased off the showroom floor (as stated in the article).

To replicate the Subaru, would probably cost another $100K on top of the showroom stock Impreza.
I understand, but at seemingly similar builds and price, the performance seems pretty close. Ultimately, I was impressed that the Subie did it with an engine mounted in front of the front axle, although some of the components are race-only and may give out in a limited amount of time, but I have to wonder the same about the Viper being pushed to that level, as compared to more mild track diving.
      07-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #36
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
I understand, but at seemingly similar builds and price, the performance seems pretty close. Ultimately, I was impressed that the Subie did it with an engine mounted in front of the front axle, although some of the components are race-only and may give out in a limited amount of time, but I have to wonder the same about the Viper being pushed to that level, as compared to more mild track diving.
That time is unquestionably amazing. Faster than cars that other manufactures have nearly unlimited budget for!

I do agree with others. You are comparing a stock car to a highly modified aftermarket race car. Let's not forget the following in relating to a showroom stock Viper versus, whatever Subi that is:

1) The Viper can be purchased by anyone with the cash, straight off the factory floor.
2) Has a warranty!!!
3) Isn't being stretched to the absolute limits. Part of what makes the Viper great is that it can do those times lap after lap... And better yet it can be driven that hard day after day. Having owned many highly modified cars it was always a gamble when you would push them, that Subi is no exception.
4) I'm guessing the tires are actually far superior on the Subi. IIRC the viper runs like Kumho 720s or something like that. They are decent tires but nothing near a true race spec tire.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      07-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #37
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MW M4

BTW guys... to be clear... the press got it wrong, its an ACR-E with GTS-R decals... *not* a GTS-R .. head on over to https://www.facebook.com/ViperRingKing/ if you don't believe me!
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #38
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

It's sad I see so many incredibly expensive track cars in track days but people prefer to trailer a GT3 RS than an actually fast track car, the Viper ACR.

Just goes to show that although people talk about performance at track days what they really want is to show off their expensive cars.
Price aside, the ACR also has 140 more hp than the GT3 RS and around 2x the downforce. It is an impressive car on track but aside from that I don't know why you'd want to buy one. The RS is definitely a very fast track car without sacrificing its ability to drive on the street nearly as much and would put down money the new 3RS is as fast or faster than this time despite much less in both those categories (power/downforce) and the 2RS will be faster than the ACR, 918 and Performante.

Last edited by Motorsportenterprise; 07-28-2017 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      07-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #39
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Exactly, i see them guys show up with their rich man's beetle in a trailer bein pulled by a Porsche Cayenne. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #40
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A "decent driver" would be pointless exercise and a giant fail. We would learn that a "decent driver" is far behind all the rest of the cars. That's why I think these records are pointless and mostly used for the owner of the car to brag about what his car could do if someone else was driving it, never him.

Then a few seconds around a track that is almost 13 miles long, not something that would matter to me on a car that will normally be used to go to dinner. I buy a slightly slower car and end up a fraction of a second behind someone at a non timed track day, don't care as none of them are races and no one "wins".
when it's an Italian Exotic like the Huracan Perfomante or a German car the car journos go nuts, people are in awe but since it's an American car, those numbers are meaningless. haha

Last edited by The Choosey begger; 07-30-2017 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #41
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
Price aside, the ACR also has 140 more hp than the GT3 RS and around 2x the downforce. It is an impressive car on track but aside from that I don't know why you'd want to buy one. The RS is definitely a very fast track car without sacrificing its ability to drive on the street nearly as much and would put down money the new 3RS is as fast or faster than this time despite much less in both those categories (power/downforce) and the 2RS will be faster than the ACR, 918 and Performante.
Because it's a street legal track car that will destroy a GT3 RS on the track, which is the place both of those cars are built to drive in. Because I go to the track to drive fast, which is the stated intention of most people there.

Have you driven a GT3s on the street? I have so I will welcome you back into the real world! For someone to call that 'much better to drive on the street' is interesting, because a regular GT3 has rock solid suspension which seems to have dampers made of granite. You cannot daily drive a GT3 RS any more than a Viper, I'm sorry.
I haven't driven a GT3 RS, but it would be logical to conclude it is an even worse DD than a regular GT3.

Now, if you're talking about which car is better to show off in a Cars and Coffee... that is a different story.

I sincerely hope the new GT2 RS is able to beat the ACR's time. At 300k$ list price and 500k$ actual price, I hope the Porsche fanboys throw a party celebrating that a car that costs as much as a unloaded Porsche 911 GTS is beat by another costing 4x that much. Heroic! What a feat!!

Next up, a carbon hulled $30M dollar sail boat manages to beat a liferaft with one oar and a child doing the rowing! Its owners are throwing a party to celebrate their achievement!

Also, it isn't my problem that Porsche is unable to build their track cars with proper downforce or horsepower. That's on them. That they have suckers willing to pay is also obvious.
"Oh but wait my GT3 RS is a MUCH better street car than that Viper!! Because, you know, I never eeeeever trailer my GT3 RS that isn't even registered because it's such a badass track car. I made sure to buy a 'race car' that was really comfortable driving the wifey around and of course this is my only car so I had to make sure that comfort was high on the list"

Fortunately, in the real world a 918 owner makes a long post on Rennlist about how much he likes the ACR as a track car. It's good to see some people aren't starved for attention badge whores and simply like cars based on their merits. I guess you need real money to do that.
Meanwhile, people risk starvation wishing they can scrape enough dough together to buy a GT3 because it's a true 'race car'. But a *comfortable* race car, because that's real important

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 07-31-2017 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #42
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F80 M3

I have tracked many different cars on a track and it's by far the most capable car I have driven on a circuit. It's an incredible machine which puts down incredible times lap after lap. A GT3rs is a magnificent car and I would take one over an ACR for a few reasons but strictly for tracking isn't one of them.

The ACR is the easiest car to drive fast arguably in the world so long as you know how to drive a manual. Speaking of which, it may never hold the fastest time at Green Hell but which production car with a manual will ever beat it? It's safe to assume none.
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2017, 12:43 PM   #43
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Drives: Cars

Didn't know so many people here appreciated the ACR. Any owners on this forum?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 01:32 PM   #44
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Didn't know so many people here appreciated the ACR. Any owners on this forum?
There are a couple long threads on the "M3 vs..." here and on the F8X board and plenty of people like them.

I mean, any car enthusiast that hasn't been completely brain washed by the P-car-is-the-best-street-race-car-comfortable-makes-me-look-good-fastest-on-the-track retardedness should appreciate this beast.

One guy, Luke is on here but doesn't post much. He was somewhat involved in the Viper and has vids with their chief engineer. I've met him at some track days and he's a really good guy
Appreciate 0