New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Thumbs up 2017 Dodge Viper GTS-R Sets Unofficial 7:03.45 Lap Time in First Nurburgring Attempt

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...me-farnbacher/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Who cares? Car's dead. What's next, Fangio's F1 car? A 917 on modern tires? A Tyrrell 6 wheeler?
Appreciate 2
David701567.00
Viffermike1753.00
      07-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Drives: Cars

Kind of sad that all media is calling it a GTS-R and forgetting that its just an ACR with blue stripes and a roll cage for safety.

7:03 is their first run. I suspect a much faster time tomorrow.

Last edited by Nkc; 07-26-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Who cares? Car's dead. What's next, Fangio's F1 car? A 917 on modern tires? A Tyrrell 6 wheeler?
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...cord-gofundme/

Quote:
Members of the Viper Owners Association have set up a GoFundMe page with the goal of sending two Viper ACRs to the Nurburgring to set a lap record. The Association is looking to raise a total of $159,000 to fund track rental, driver payment, shipping the ACRs to Germany, and other expenses.
That's who cares. Article was from Jan. 19, 2017 so not sure if they hit their goal or how much the sponsors on the car helped.
      07-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
What do you mean who cares? It will probably beat the production car lap record at the ring.

Everyone who cares about ring laptimes, will want to know the time the ACR will set since it was never officially tested.
Appreciate 4
      07-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Oh, I know nerds care. But the car had its day, if no one got it to go this fast when it was still being produced, I don't care. A turbine with thrust reversers in a Model T might be fast around the N'Ring, but has nothing to do with what's available now.

I know the Viper was capable, but lack of sales and ownership by FIAT killed it. End of story.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Oh, I know nerds care. But the car had its day, if no one got it to go this fast when it was still being produced, I don't care. A turbine with thrust reversers in a Model T might be fast around the N'Ring, but has nothing to do with what's available now.

I know the Viper was capable, but lack of sales and ownership by FIAT killed it. End of story.
There are still brand new ones on dealer lots waiting to be sold. So it's technically still available now, but that is also besides the point, even after a car goes out of production it's performance benchmarks are still used as comparisons for new cars. Ring time are a performance benchmark that the industry uses whether you like it or not.

But yes, it's mainly a bunch of sad Viper owners who want the bragging rights to say their prized possession has the lap record at the ring, beating x,z,y cars.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

[img]https://68.media.tumblr.com/0ec2613c...hvsko1_500.gif[/img]

Okay, there are ten ACRs available, seven are 2017s. I actually thought they'd died a few years ago as I haven't even seen one on the road in ages.

Mildly more interested. How does the entire Viper community not have a decent driver though? Shipping isn't expensive, but it does appear that a full day rental of the N'Ring is 60k Euros, assuming they don't pull some strings for that, I suppose that's where most of that funding was going.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:

What are you talking about? The car is still being produced till the end of Aug which means its still current. FCA didn't want to bring the car all the way there and spend more money hence the crowdfunding for the ring run, much like the previous attempt with the Gen 4 ACR that still holds its ground. The gen 5 ACR holds 14 track records in the states alone. It holds all the unofficial lap times that I know of locally for a production car. With its first lap at 7:03xx, its the fastest RWD production car already and it has much more. Its definitely going into the 50s. The Gen 5 ACR has only been produced for 16-17.

Nerd on this.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Did anyone confirm the Huracan time being BtG, or has it been vetted? I can see the ACR catching the 918 time, but not the Huracan Performente time, if it stands.

As well as being the fastest rwd time, it's also got to be well ahead of any other manual cars, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #11
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What's amazing, it's a car at the end of its cycle that still gaps the German competion and it costs way less.

That must upset the Porsche Badge whores. lol
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If you dont get the significance of this, you're a poseur.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #13
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Sad but probably the first and only time I'll agree with anglo.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Quote:

If you dont get the significance of this, you're a poseur.
I am sitting at a desk, working in Excel, with absolutely no Nomex on, so by and large yes, poseur deluxe. I initially questioned this as I thought it was long dead. Turns out I was wrong, my bad.

But at the same time, I would imagine the GT2 RS is about to negate all the USA chants.

Kudos to Dodge for building something like this though, it's a crazy car that's clearly capable and I've seen non ACRs do things at tracks that just seem outlandish. Adding all the aero has to be amazing, in the hands of someone who can take advantage of that.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Using your dumb logic, Bimmerpost shouldn't have had this story on their front page, i mean the E36 M3 is a 20 year old car at least the Viper is a 2017 model.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...e-nurburgring/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #16
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Using your dumb logic, Bimmerpost shouldn't have had this story on their front page, i mean the E36 M3 is dead at least the Viper is a 2017 model.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...e-nurburgring/
Hey, my dumb logic works for me, and if it bugs you, that's kinda funny. I don't mind nostalgia. I'd actually be curious what a 917 long tail could do on modern tires with modern carbon ceramic brakes. Or one of the road legal 962s, or even a Singer 911.

Further, while it's awesome that Dodge actually built the ACR, it would be fun to see what a similar GT3 RS with the RSR aero package could do, or a 488 with their GT3 kit on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #17
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, my dumb logic works for me, and if it bugs you, that's kinda funny. I don't mind nostalgia. I'd actually be curious what a 917 long tail could do on modern tires with modern carbon ceramic brakes. Or one of the road legal 962s, or even a Singer 911.

Further, while it's awesome that Dodge actually built the ACR, it would be fun to see what a similar GT3 RS with the RSR aero package could do, or a 488 with their GT3 kit on it.
You're the one who seemed all worked up about this story. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You're the one who seemed all worked up about this story. lol
I thought it was dead a while ago. I feel like I've mentioned this.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #19
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I feel like i mentioned this, they stopped making the E36 M3 about 20 years and the Viper GTS about a year ago but car guys are still buying and racing these cars. So it's relevant.

Have you ever been to a racetrack?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I feel like i mentioned this, they stopped making the E36 M3 about 20 years and the Viper GTS about a year ago but car guys are still buying and racing these cars. So it's relevant.

Have you ever been to a racetrack?
Yes sir. Driven the N'Ring, as well as Laguna Seca and Cresson Motor Sports Ranch. Been to half a dozen F1 venues too as a spectator. I don't really like comparing heavily modified cars to factory spec cars, it's a almost exceedingly worthless metric.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #21
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes sir. Driven the N'Ring, as well as Laguna Seca and Cresson Motor Sports Ranch. Been to half a dozen F1 venues too as a spectator. I don't really like comparing heavily modified cars to factory spec cars, it's a almost exceedingly worthless metric.
Car guys find it valuable to know what a 20 year old otherwise stock E36 M3 with coilovers, wider wheels and tires can do on the ring, why that E36 M3 made the BP front page.

This is like arguing with a Bimbo, i'll let you have the final word. You wore me out with your non sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:34 AM   #22
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Subaru Sets 6:57.5 Nurburgring Four-Door Lap Record

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/su...or-lap-record/