New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #23
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
I thought I read the Supra was going to be in the 65k range? My bad if that was incorrect.

Cayman is 55-75 depending on whether or not you get an "S", options, etc.
      09-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #24
alex2364
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
I thought I read the Supra was going to be in the 65k range? My bad if that was incorrect.

I can easily build a Cayman S to $95k+ with options I would expect in a premium sports car. A base Cayman doesn't have dual zone climate control, Porsche entry and drive (same as BMW comfort access), auto dimming mirrors, heated seats, not to mention any of their performance options (PDK, Sport PASM, PTV, Sport Chrono).

Last edited by alex2364; 09-19-2018 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #25
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Zzzzzzzzzupra.

Crappy paddle gearbox + characterless design + shared DNA captures none of my fascination and I loved the last Supra growing up as a kid. It had so much character.
      09-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #26
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
So basically, if you want:

a) the convertible go see BMW.
b) the coupe go see Toyota.
Except that Toyota might do a convertible Supra (media clickbait?)...

http://www.thedrive.com/news/23690/t...ra-report-says

And note the comment that BMW **could** offer a coupe Z4... IF it wanted to.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 1
GuidoK10473.00
      09-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #27
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Someone's probably waiting to drop a 2JZ in there already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
2JZ swap will happen within a month or 2 of them hitting the streets. Book it.
would have to overnight parts from Japan
Appreciate 2
pikkagtr3847.00
      09-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #28
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
would have to overnight parts from Japan
You can put it on my tab at Harry's
Appreciate 2
jeff11363.50
Darth One6612.50
      09-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #29
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
i think it's hilarious that they made everyone test it in the prototype camo
Its pretty common, BMW made the press test drive the M5, upcoming 8 & 3, X7, and Z4 in camo also.

Quote:

Quote:
No MT, no care. Sad day.

Also, based on what I've seen the rumored MSRP at, what's the point of this over a Cayman? Surely the Porsche has a much nicer interior... not to mention status (not that I'd care personally), resale value, etc.
Unlike BMW, Tada san hasn't ruled out a manual.

Your math needs a little work lol. The 4 cylinder Supra (may or may not come to US) is rumored to be in $40k+ range. The I6 is at $50k-$55k (hinted by Tada san via insider A70TTR). The base Cayman is almost $57k and the Cayman S comes in at $69k.

Last edited by supra93; 09-19-2018 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:32 AM   #30
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Looks good, sounds good (no ASD lol), reviews say it drives well, what’s not to like here? No manual is about the only issue I have with it. If it’s priced well, this could be a hit
That is a huge issue. No thanks!

Last edited by seis-speed; 09-20-2018 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 01:12 AM   #31
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Drives: Like a boss

I'm truly excited for this car. Hope it delivers and does well.
Viffermike1753.00
      09-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #32
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

I am eagerly anticipating a z4 coupe with a manual...the supra with zf8 not so much
pretty much my m240i in wolf's clothing...drivetrain anyways
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #33
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Drives: F80

Tada said they benchmarked the Cayman for chassis development, so that is promising.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #34
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
I loved the last Supra growing up as a kid. It had so much character.
So you want a GT car that handles like sh*t.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #35
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80 6MT

lmao it's got active sound design, too
      09-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #36
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

*wants updated Z4 M Coupe
*rebadges Toyota back to BMW
*codes idrive to BMW

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #37
supra93
Colonel
Rep

2020 Toyota Supra First Drive Impressions

Quote:
Forget the historic nameplate, ignore the weird Japanese-German fusion, and try not too hard to think about the specs. The Toyota Supra is finally arriving and it’s fast, focused, and fun.

FAST FACTS
  • Engine: Turbocharged inline-six cylinder
  • Output: Over 300 horsepower
  • Transmission: Eight-speed automatic
  • Fuel Economy: TBD
  • Weight: Under 3,300 lbs (1,500 kgs)
  • Price: TBD

That’s the quick and dirty summary after an afternoon in Spain, where we spent a few laps in the new Toyota sports car around the Jarama circuit, which was followed by a sprint into the backwoods of Madrid with the Supra and a Toyota 86 chase car.

Unfortunately, many specifics are still hidden from us including the final interior and exterior design, powertrain numbers, and weight figures. Toyota wants to drag out this reveal as long as possible, and will even tweak the car based on the feedback following this test. Rather than specifics, we were told rough estimates, targets, and obscure ratios, but at least there was a hearty amount of seat time, and the impressions at this point are positive.

Getting up to Speed

The basics behind the Supra are easy to digest. Like past iterations of cars with the Supra badge, the vehicle features a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout, and a turbocharged inline-six, although this one is graciously provided by BMW. Actually, much of the hardware involved in this car is from BMW, but Toyota tweaked and tuned the vehicle with its own flavor, spicing things up as needed.

There’s an eight-speed automatic transmission that sends power to the rear wheels, and a fancy active rear differential that works like a two-way differential and can optimize traction and power delivery while cornering. There’s also an adaptive suspension setup, which features four active hydraulic dampers that can adjust to different drive modes and achieve a solid balance and road feel.

Toyota says this car is designed to appeal to people who weren’t satisfied with the 86’s lack of power, grip, or compromised 2+2 layout. They also want to score points with fans of the last Supra, which is a car that went out of production in 2002, yet became immortalized through video games like Gran Turismo, Need for Speed and movies like the Fast and the Furious franchise.

Forget the fact that the old Supras were all 2+2s. The point here is that the new model is so much more focused as a pure sporting machine. It feels like a front-engined Porsche 718 Cayman in many ways that the Jaguar F-Type Coupe simply can’t.

It might have something to do with weight, but we don’t have exact figures on the curb weight of the car — we just know that they wanted to keep it below 3,300 lbs. It might have something to do with the power of the car, another number we have vague details on, with the engine making between 300 and 400 horsepower. The engineers we spoke with quoted a 0-60 mph time of under 5 seconds, which has to be a conservative figure considering Mustangs do nearly 4 seconds, and this Toyota feels far more responsive than even V8 pony cars.

And this BMW-supplied powerplant feels linear and progressive, with solid, though not over-eager, throttle tip-in, which winds out to a nice high spot on the tach. However, the Supra inauthentically pumps in some noise into the cabin and the exhaust on these prototypes are European spec, where regulations are much stricter. Models in North America should be harder to ignore in terms of noise, we’re told, and that might come with a power boost too, thanks to the removal of a particulate filter.

Closed Course Testing
On the track, the Supra disappears in your hands. That’s a good thing, especially when you’re trying to figure out a new course in a limited amount of time. Along with its good visibility, the car doesn’t nag at you, forcing you to accommodate its weight or hamfisted power delivery to the rear wheels. The short wheelbase leads to an agile feel on the course, even at speed or when putting the power down. The steering is linear, which is fun and natural feeling in tight corners and when unwinding onto a straight. The chassis is wonderfully responsive, with great weight transfer. It settles down predictably under harsh acceleration and braking, meaning it’ll even be a good partner for novices on the track.

The new Supra has a surprising amount of feedback and a dual personality that is made possible by a few of those important components mentioned earlier. In it’s “normal” (or whatever it’ll be called when you start the car) mode, things are subdued and mute, as the car feels fast but not obnoxiously sharp. Press the Sport button and things change dramatically for the better.

It’s like giving the car a shot of adrenaline. The steering becomes crisp and delivers solid response and feedback. It can snap back to center fairly quickly, allowing you to get on with the next input. The chassis is active, yet planted, despite the car’s surprisingly short wheelbase. The transmission fires off proactive gearchanges on hard braking. Simply put, the Supra in this mode feels like a real sports car. It feels fresh on the track and ready to go. The only criticism can be laid at the braking system, which felt inconsistent and numb on the track, but a bit more natural on the road. The transmission is smooth and changes gears at the right time, but isn’t as quick or snappy as other sports cars, like the PDK dual clutch in many Porsches, or even the new automatic in the high-speed Corvettes.

Still, the Supra provides a feeling of precision on the road that brings the Porsche 718 models to mind. It’s quick to change direction and feels like a dancer on the road, providing good smooth rhythm, rather than needing to be micromanaged with hard prods of the pedals.

For track nuts, the engineers also promise that there is a launch control function and that they spent a painstaking amount of time drifting and doing donuts in empty parking lots since they assumed their buyers would participate in such activities. Talk about a dedicated team. Without a doubt, the Supra could rotate and flick its tail when asked to.

On the Open Road with a Familiar Face

The road portion of the drive revealed much more about the car and its relative performance. Seeing and feeling how it covers ground in the real world and not during a perfectly curated track experience exhibits how the Supra will act on different road surfaces. While Spanish countryside roads are far more civilized than the roads in North America, the Supra didn’t feel nervous, harsh or jittery like other focused sports cars frequently can.

The more telling part of the road test is the Toyota 86 chase car that we were given. Because of the limited amount of prototypes and the fact that they are prototypes, which can be moody and finicky, Toyota put one driver with a guide and had journalists follow along with 86s. Full disclaimer, I love the 86, own a first model year Scion FR-S, and feel right at home in the lightweight, rear-wheel-drive sports car. I also think it’s one of the best choices in the market for enthusiasts on a budget, with a steering feel that’s among the best in the industry and a smile-inducing, flickable attitude.

Chasing this new Supra with the plucky 86 was fun… until certain situations arose. A few conditions, in particular, favored the new sports car: uphill and straight sections that made use of the Supra’s extra power, and the curvier bits that favored the Supra’s grip and advancements in chassis technology. The Supra uses Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, which are real high-performance rubber reserved for some high-performance cars (it first debuted on the Ferrari 458 Italia).

Turn in and rotation in the Supra is far quicker and sharper than the 86, and eventually, the new model could walk away from the car, even when limited by the rules of the public roads. It felt like the many times I used to hang out with my older sister and her friends, only to be left behind just as they were about to do something really cool. Then again, it wouldn’t be fair to talk about the 86 without mentioning that it had a singular edge on the new Supra: three pedals and a manual gearbox, something we’ve yet to hear a firm confirmation on for the Supra.

The Verdict: 2020 Toyota Supra First Drive Impressions
The new Supra is the serious sports car that critics have always wanted to see from Toyota. It’s a true demonstration of what the brand can do, albeit with the right partners at BMW. There’s still a lot to be discussed before declaring it as a true winner, including packaging, pricing, specs, and not to mention, an unobstructed look at the interior and exterior design, but the first impressions are strong. We also have its near-twin at BMW, the Z4, a sporty droptop that is sure to be comparable to the Toyota in many ways since they use almost all the same hardware. Expect more details on the final, production version of the Supra to emerge in the coming months.

LOVE IT
Excellent handling
Smooth powertrain
Tight, sporty proportions

LEAVE IT
How much will it cost?
Inconsistent brake feel
Need to hear more of the engine and exhaust
https://www.autoguide.com/manufactur...ve-impressions
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #38
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #39
Z K
Major General
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
So you want a GT car that handles like sh*t.
I agree with this. Back in the early 2000s, my friend purchased a pre-owned Supra turbo. It was about $25k used. The car is super soft and comfortable and it did not handle well. But he was into straight line power so it didn't matter to him. Slapped on a big Greddy T78 turbo, nitrous to spool the big turbo and other supporting mods.

Yeah, he was smoking a lot of pricey cars on the road in acceleration but every time you took a corner, it felt like you were going to die. Not to mention the removable roof was a terrible idea and made the car a flexible mess when cornering.

Not that you can't make the Supra handle, but from the factory it was pretty terrible.

The Supra is the definition of the Japanese muscle car.
      09-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #40
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
*wants updated Z4 M Coupe
*rebadges Toyota back to BMW
*codes idrive to BMW

continued...

*charges another $10k+
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #41
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Some color previews from the test drive. There was a 5th one, but I can't seem to find anymore photos at the moment.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #42
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:28 PM   #43
Robotechnology
RDF
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80/JCW Clubman/Z4MC/STI

Quote:
No MT, no care. Sad day.
Was looking forward to this model but, I guess my 40k mile 1991 5 speed turbo will be sticking around a bit longer. So disappointed in Toyota. Just charge $880 more... jeez!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #44
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Some color previews from the test drive. There was a 5th one, but I can't seem to find anymore photos at the moment.

Looks like BMW's Atacama Yellow from previous Z4.

Last edited by DieGrüneHölle; 09-22-2018 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
supra932474.00