New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

04-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #375
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Well my butt is tired from clenching through 4 1/2 periods of hockey but I can't say I'm not happy eith the rest.

Isles-Cats was a hell of a series.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #376
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I slept thru periods 1 and 2 in The State of Hockey (because #oldguysneednaps) but I woke up in time to watch that 3rd period. That was some exciting play, even though I had no skin in the game.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #377
lilg1993
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 E92 335is

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Congratulations! Must have been great with your boys, if they stayed awake..haha
Wow, what a game that was. Isles came out on fire in the first 10 minutes, and then they snoozed for the next 49 minutes of the game until Johnny T came through and put the team on his back. Their second period was disgraceful, save for 1 or 2 good offensive push-backs, and I was so close to leaving and disgust when the cats almost put in that empty netter. But then that wild scramble in front and captain clutch picked up that loose puck. unreal.

and the 2OT goal!? forget about it. the fact that he was able to come around the back of the net as quickly as he did, while somehow helping that puck on his stick (the backhand side of his stick, mind you) without it rolling off the blade was incredible. and all to seal the deal for their first series win in 23 years. such an awesome experience.

also, It seems as if there was some confusion regarding one of my previous posts...when I said "go to the game on Sunday with my boys facing elimination", I meant "my boys" as in 'The Islanders' lol...I am far too young for kids, or at least I'd like to think so. however, I was so tired from commuting to the game and the ups and downs of the first two periods that I think I took a quick nap during the 2nd intermission
'07 E93 335i 6AT, Platinum Bronze Metallic/Cream Beige [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #378
lilg1993
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I bet that Dallas/Minnesota game was a nail biter...didn't get to watch any of it, but I remember checking the score while on the train to the Isles game and seeing Dallas was up 4-0 after 2 periods. I was shocked when they showed highlights from the game on the big screen during the first intermission and seeing that the final score was 5-4!!

Props to the Flyers for making it a close series after nearly folding in 4 games, but as fecurtis said, fuck the Flyers.

Caps/Pens will be a great, hard hitting series. Crosby is without a doubt a whiny little bitch tho, and he will take cheap shots when the refs have their backs turned and/or get away with obvious penalties because he is the league's golden boy. if he simply complains enough about a call he might even get his way
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #379
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilg1993 View Post
Wow, what a game that was. Isles came out on fire in the first 10 minutes, and then they snoozed for the next 49 minutes of the game until Johnny T came through and put the team on his back. Their second period was disgraceful, save for 1 or 2 good offensive push-backs, and I was so close to leaving and disgust when the cats almost put in that empty netter. But then that wild scramble in front and captain clutch picked up that loose puck. unreal.

and the 2OT goal!? forget about it. the fact that he was able to come around the back of the net as quickly as he did, while somehow helping that puck on his stick (the backhand side of his stick, mind you) without it rolling off the blade was incredible. and all to seal the deal for their first series win in 23 years. such an awesome experience.

also, It seems as if there was some confusion regarding one of my previous posts...when I said "go to the game on Sunday with my boys facing elimination", I meant "my boys" as in 'The Islanders' lol...I am far too young for kids, or at least I'd like to think so. however, I was so tired from commuting to the game and the ups and downs of the first two periods that I think I took a quick nap during the 2nd intermission
Oh..got it..thought you had little guys--I have a 6-year old who gets tossed in the air every time the Sharks score a goal. When and if you do have kids they really thrive off our love of sports. I have Nieces who I have taken to games as well and they just love my intensity for it.

Quote:
I bet that Dallas/Minnesota game was a nail biter...didn't get to watch any of it, but I remember checking the score while on the train to the Isles game and seeing Dallas was up 4-0 after 2 periods. I was shocked when they showed highlights from the game on the big screen during the first intermission and seeing that the final score was 5-4!!

Props to the Flyers for making it a close series after nearly folding in 4 games, but as fecurtis said, fuck the Flyers.

Caps/Pens will be a great, hard hitting series. Crosby is without a doubt a whiny little bitch tho, and he will take cheap shots when the refs have their backs turned and/or get away with obvious penalties because he is the league's golden boy. if he simply complains enough about a call he might even get his way
Yeah, we all know how Crosby is right? Surprised no Pens fans here. I think the Caps may be in trouble with the Penguins this series--the Penguins have been really rolling at the end of the season and now and the Caps are a little flat. Seems like Ovechkin will have to be bigger than Crosby or Malkin.
      04-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #380
lilg1993
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Aw, thats cute. I'm pretty sure my father used to do a similar thing with me and my brother when we were young, too. But I do always remember going to Islander games with my dad and brother from a very young age and jut how exciting it always was to be there...still is of course. oh, to be a carefree little kid again

anyway, yes I too am surprised there are no Pens/Rags fans on this thread. I agree that the Caps will have their work cut out for them in this series. They're gonna have to be really good on the PK (or just stay out of the box completely) if they wanna have a chance...Pittsburgh PP was over 38% in the first round, although Washington's kill rate was almost 96%. On the same token Pittsburgh's goaltending will need to be superb again. But with how hot the Pens have been and how sluggish the Caps looked in some games last round, I'm going with Penguins in 6
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #381
jgoens
Major General
Rep

[QUOTE=lilg1993;19827305
anyway, yes I too am surprised there are no Pens/Rags fans on this thread. I agree that the Caps will have their work cut out for them in this series. They're gonna have to be really good on the PK (or just stay out of the box completely) if they wanna have a chance...Pittsburgh PP was over 38% in the first round, although Washington's kill rate was almost 96%. On the same token Pittsburgh's goaltending will need to be superb again. But with how hot the Pens have been and how sluggish the Caps looked in some games last round, I'm going with Penguins in 6[/QUOTE]

+1...I'll go with that-Pens in 6.

What's your take on Preds vs Ducks? I've got no one to talk hockey with other than here....the Sharks are resting and will have had a week off before the next round. Good or Bad. Theory says good--get some rest, but stats show oftentimes the resting team loses game one with a sluggish start. Course someone is going to lose the first game but you would think the rested team would in most cases come out flying and almost always take game 1.
      04-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #382
catcher22
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Glad the Caps finally closed it out against Philly. It took long enough but I think the Caps just got too comfortable after going 3-0 against them, and especially after that third game 6-1 rout on their ice. Games 4-6 were pretty weak, but if they play like they did in games 1-3, the second round against the Pens will be great.

I hope the full second round schedule comes out tomorrow or later this week.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #383
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post

I hope the full second round schedule comes out tomorrow or later this week.
It will be out after the conclusion of tomorrow's ducks-pred game and will be posted on nhl.com.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #384
lilg1993
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
+1...I'll go with that-Pens in 6.

What's your take on Preds vs Ducks? I've got no one to talk hockey with other than here....the Sharks are resting and will have had a week off before the next round. Good or Bad. Theory says good--get some rest, but stats show oftentimes the resting team loses game one with a sluggish start. Course someone is going to lose the first game but you would think the rested team would in most cases come out flying and almost always take game 1.
Meant to mention in my last post how both the games last night were really great to watch. Game 7 will be a good one out in Anaheim, but just given what I recall from the past couple years in the postseason (the Ducks losing at home...often), I'm gonna say the Preds steal this one.

Yes, common sense and theory would say that the rested team should come out all revved up, but reality seems to disagree. I think in certain situations some rest will certainly benefit a team, but too much rest proves to be costly at times. I feel like the players just kinda get a little lazy and off their game and lose that "playoff mentality/intensity" until it hits them like a freight train in their next game back. Should be interesting to see how the long rest affects the Sharks

Quote:
Glad the Caps finally closed it out against Philly. It took long enough but I think the Caps just got too comfortable after going 3-0 against them, and especially after that third game 6-1 rout on their ice. Games 4-6 were pretty weak, but if they play like they did in games 1-3, the second round against the Pens will be great.
+1

Caps definitely got too comfortable and lazy against an overall weaker opponent with such a commanding lead. I believe 5 of their 6 goals in game 6 were PP goals. great series coming

Quote:
It will be out after the conclusion of tomorrow's ducks-pred game and will be posted on nhl.com.
You wanna know the most ridiculous thing about the scheduling? as of right now, the Islanders and Lightning and scheduled to play game 1 of their second round series Wednesday 4/27 at 7PM ET. game 7 between the Ducks and Preds is scheduled for that same night at 10PM ET. HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU SCHEDULE A SECOND ROUND GAME BEFORE THE END OF THE FIRST ROUND!?

I understand that it is the western conference and it has literally zero effect on the eastern conference games, but still, its just ridiculous. especially when you consider that the Islanders have played 2 double OT games in the past 5 days. Maybe I sound like I'm whining a bit as an Isles fan, but cmon. seems to me like the Islanders are getting completely hosed by whoever sets the schedules. They were the only team (besides Florida, of course) that played on consecutive nights in the first round (and will likely be the only team to do so throughout the entire duration of the post season). Fuck you Gary Bettman.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #385
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

I'm hoping for a repeat of 1999:

Go Stars! Go Spurs!

That was a truly great sports year......
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #386
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:

You wanna know the most ridiculous thing about the scheduling? as of right now, the Islanders and Lightning and scheduled to play game 1 of their second round series Wednesday 4/27 at 7PM ET. game 7 between the Ducks and Preds is scheduled for that same night at 10PM ET. HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU SCHEDULE A SECOND ROUND GAME BEFORE THE END OF THE FIRST ROUND!?

I understand that it is the western conference and it has literally zero effect on the eastern conference games, but still, its just ridiculous. especially when you consider that the Islanders have played 2 double OT games in the past 5 days. Maybe I sound like I'm whining a bit as an Isles fan, but cmon. seems to me like the Islanders are getting completely hosed by whoever sets the schedules. They were the only team (besides Florida, of course) that played on consecutive nights in the first round (and will likely be the only team to do so throughout the entire duration of the post season). Fuck you Gary Bettman.
Dude your right--they only have the Isles series starting. That is unprecedented and lame. Maybe there is some issues in Tampa where they could not start the next couple days? Really not right--in the past always wait til 1st round is done. I think it has to do with getting an Eastern game on tv soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
I'm hoping for a repeat of 1999:

Go Stars! Go Spurs!

That was a truly great sports year......
I didn't like that year.
      04-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #387
lilg1993
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dude your right--they only have the Isles series starting. That is unprecedented and lame. Maybe there is some issues in Tampa where they could not start the next couple days? Really not right--in the past always wait til 1st round is done. I think it has to do with getting an Eastern game on tv soon.
Absolutely unheard of...I just don't understand the thought process behind it. But oh well, it seemed to work out ok for the Isles, even though Tampa came very close to tying it up at the end there. Greiss continues to be outstanding for us in goal.

So Anaheim's game 7 woes continue on home ice, just as I had suspected they would. they too got very close to tying the game up late, but in the end you'll be getting the Preds next round. should be a good series, but I think I'm gonna go with SJ in 7.

so what do you think; does Bruce Boudreau get the axe after losing 4 consecutive game 7's at home?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #388
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

That was another EXCITING game in the playoffs (NSH-ANA) Ducks were just not able to get the puck across the line, although there were plenty of close opportunities. I gotta think after all those hits that Preds are hoping for a few days to soak in ice.

Even though they got 1 on PP, it was amazing how much trouble they had just entering the zone. I think they might have spent 10 seconds in the 2nd PP actually across the blue line.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #389
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely unheard of...I just don't understand the thought process behind it. But oh well, it seemed to work out ok for the Isles, even though Tampa came very close to tying it up at the end there. Greiss continues to be outstanding for us in goal.

So Anaheim's game 7 woes continue on home ice, just as I had suspected they would. they too got very close to tying the game up late, but in the end you'll be getting the Preds next round. should be a good series, but I think I'm gonna go with SJ in 7.

so what do you think; does Bruce Boudreau get the axe after losing 4 consecutive game 7's at home?
It was looking like a runaway for the Isles but as always a comeback was evident. As least they hung on and took one in Tampa. You know Greiss started with the Sharks?

Once again, if the Sharks can solve Rinne then we got it--I have seen him shut us down before, where we dominated, many shots and can only muster one goal. Every team has a different dynamic, and while the Preds took out a heavy hitter in the Ducks I see them a step under the Kings. I'm going Sharks in 6.

It's hard to say about Boudreau...maybe his time is done...going out in first round for a team picked as one of the most likely to win a cup at beginning of the season is hard to swallow. This playoff format is brutal as three top teams (and all recent Champs) have went down in first round.
      04-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #390
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: Glacier silver F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
That was another EXCITING game in the playoffs (NSH-ANA) Ducks were just not able to get the puck across the line, although there were plenty of close opportunities. I gotta think after all those hits that Preds are hoping for a few days to soak in ice.

Even though they got 1 on PP, it was amazing how much trouble they had just entering the zone. I think they might have spent 10 seconds in the 2nd PP actually across the blue line.
The quacks in game 7's are notorious for choking...that's like what, 4 in a row?

Couple that with a couch liked Boudreau who is notorious for being a shitty playoff coach, and you get another collapse at home for the quacks
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #391
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: Glacier silver F36

Quote:
It was looking like a runaway for the Isles but as always a comeback was evident. As least they hung on and took one in Tampa. You know Greiss started with the Sharks?

Once again, if the Sharks can solve Rinne then we got it--I have seen him shut us down before, where we dominated, many shots and can only muster one goal. Every team has a different dynamic, and while the Preds took out a heavy hitter in the Ducks I see them a step under the Kings. I'm going Sharks in 6.

It's hard to say about Boudreau...maybe his time is done...going out in first round for a team picked as one of the most likely to win a cup at beginning of the season is hard to swallow. This playoff format is brutal as three top teams (and all recent Champs) have went down in first round.
I think Boudreau is done....he got the boot in Washington for being a shitty playoff coach, and was only good for regular season success, and it's a carbon copy now that he's in Anaheim. I wont miss seeing that little butterball at my adult league games though, I'll tell you that much haha
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #392
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Well that and replacing Mason with a brick wall helped.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #393
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
I think Boudreau is done....he got the boot in Washington for being a shitty playoff coach, and was only good for regular season success, and it's a carbon copy now that he's in Anaheim. I wont miss seeing that little butterball at my adult league games though, I'll tell you that much haha
Yeah man it sucks to see him lose in game 7.....again.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #394
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Was it the Islanders' coach who caught the puck in his jaw? Didn't get an update during the second game.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #395
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Was it the Islanders' coach who caught the puck in his jaw? Didn't get an update during the second game.
I think he was hit just above the nose. As far as I know he's fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #396
Sedan Hussein
Rep

Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I think he was hit just above the nose. As far as I know he's fine.
Came back to the bench before the game ended. He looked like a hardass in post game inerviews
Appreciate 0