New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

05-09-2019, 01:33 AM   #947
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
I am traveling to Europe this weekend and will be purchasing my first Rolex. My wife's family that has many had me wait on buying one here in the US because they get better prices and have a AD out there.

I am set on a Daytona for sure. Not set on anything else.

Any suggestions as to which color and band to go with?
Whatever you go with make sure you do the VAT refund paperwork and claim at the airport. Good luck.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:03 AM   #948
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Drives: Evo

Nivarox thanks for your input. I was on the website creating various Daytona's and the 116519LN was one of my favourites and within what I want to spend. It comes in at 28.8 on their site.

0-60 thanks for the information.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2019, 06:30 AM   #949
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
I am traveling to Europe this weekend and will be purchasing my first Rolex. My wife's family that has many had me wait on buying one here in the US because they get better prices and have a AD out there.

I am set on a Daytona for sure. Not set on anything else.

Any suggestions as to which color and band to go with?
if you mean, a steel daytona, that is probably the hardest Rolex to find of all... some have years for waiting lists.
      05-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #950
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
if you mean, a steel daytona, that is probably the hardest Rolex to find of all... some have years for waiting lists.
No I'm certainly not willing to get on any waiting lists. I would like to purchase an available Daytona.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #951
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No I'm certainly not willing to get on any waiting lists. I would like to purchase an available Daytona.
It probably won't be steel then.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #952
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
The Daytona's just aren't available, unless your family knows someone at the AD very well.
As for the "better price," I'm not sure how they're doing that. AD's don't give discounts on high demand watches, they don't have to because once it's in stock, it's sold immediately at list price. Rolex is very strict about their pricing, hence why AD's can't mark up new watches.
Also, you're at an exchange rate disadvantage if you're purchasing a watch that is in Euros.

I'm getting my black Daytona this month. The only reason I'm getting one so quickly is this will be my fifth new Rolex I'm purchasing from this AD. Not to mention the amount of other jewelry I've purchased for my wife from them (rings, necklaces etc.) and I traded in a red submariner 1680 for "less than market value" for them to make a couple grand on it. In the end, I'll still make out as the Daytona is worth about $9k more than retail.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #953
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Quote:
The Daytona's just aren't available, unless your family knows someone at the AD very well.
As for the "better price," I'm not sure how they're doing that. AD's don't give discounts on high demand watches, they don't have to because once it's in stock, it's sold immediately at list price. Rolex is very strict about their pricing, hence why AD's can't mark up new watches.
Also, you're at an exchange rate disadvantage if you're purchasing a watch that is in Euros.

I'm getting my black Daytona this month. The only reason I'm getting one so quickly is this will be my fifth new Rolex I'm purchasing from this AD. Not to mention the amount of other jewelry I've purchased for my wife from them (rings, necklaces etc.) and I traded in a red submariner 1680 for "less than market value" for them to make a couple grand on it. In the end, I'll still make out as the Daytona is worth about $9k more than retail.
yes sir, i got on a list 6 months ago... i was told 2 years in a small market lol... panda panda
      05-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #954
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Have to remain basic for the meantime!!
Attached Images

05-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #955
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
If budget is no concern then you should be going for this one :116519 LN silver dial color . I have owned and sold various Daytona watches ranging from the 116500 LN all the way to the Daytona 116506 .
This is my fave dial color ,it matches perfectly with the strap as well. Oysterflex is very nice but make you have the correct size as it doesn't have ability to adjust the bracelet to your wrist . You don't have to cut it which is nice but there's not such a thing that can be found in Submariner, Sea Dweller and Deep Sea models to "drive" the clasp back and forth easily
That looks amazing.

I'd love a GMT Master II Pepsi, but as a new Rolex customer who doesn't have any interest in spending a fortune on their old-man watches just to get a reasonable position on a wait list, I don't have any expectations the AD I put my name down with will ever call.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #956
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I agree about the exchange rate as it seems it would cost more in Europe due to the strong euro. My wife's family kept insisting to wait until this trip to get a watch so I will just have to wait and see what the availability and prices are once I arrive in a couple days. If not it's back to shopping for one in the US. I will report back.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #957
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
I agree about the exchange rate as it seems it would cost more in Europe due to the strong euro. My wife's family kept insisting to wait until this trip to get a watch so I will just have to wait and see what the availability and prices are once I arrive in a couple days. If not it's back to shopping for one in the US. I will report back.
Like many have mentioned, Stainless Steel Daytona is the hardest Rolex to buy from AD, regardless of which country you're in. Which is why it's selling for $22-25k (double) on the secondary market for new or used.

Good luck on whatever watch you buy!
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:30 PM   #958
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Yep friend just over in Germany for gt3 pickup and prices sucked.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 12:30 AM   #959
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Quote:
Like many have mentioned, Stainless Steel Daytona is the hardest Rolex to buy from AD, regardless of which country you're in. Which is why it's selling for $22-25k (double) on the secondary market for new or used.

Good luck on whatever watch you buy!
Local AD told me 8 year waiting list lol the higher volume shops, they more or less hinted that if don't have a buying history, best of luck.

Man, I'm tempted to pony up and pay the premium for a white Daytona....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:48 AM   #960
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pete View Post
Local AD told me 8 year waiting list lol the higher volume shops, they more or less hinted that if don't have a buying history, best of luck.

Man, I'm tempted to pony up and pay the premium for a white Daytona....
The "wait list" isn't really a list that the AD goes down, step-by-step, until they reach your name.

If you have no buying history and haven't purchased anything else from the shop, that "8 year wait" will be longer and more than likely never. Same goes for most smaller shops as well. I'm not saying it'll never happen and there are instances that I've read where someone walks in and catches something, but the chances are slim.

I was put on "the list" last month and will have my black dial Daytona this month or early next month, essentially the next black dial Daytona they receive. How did I jump up the list? As I said, this is my fifth new Rolex I'm purchasing (two BLNRs, Hulk, white Daytona) and I've actually spent more at this AD on jewelry for the wife and family than watches. Finally, to push myself up the list I traded my red 1680 for less than market value so my AD could resell it for about a $2-3,000 profit. So I took a hit on that watch of $3,000, but the Daytona is worth about $9,000 more than I'm paying for it so I'm still in the clear.
Many of the ADs are looking for an ongoing relationship. They're in the business to make money. They can't mark-up the new Rolex's at all, but they do make a nice profit on jewelry. The last piece that pushed this over the edge was my wife's 50th birthday present. A very nice sapphire ring that I purchased the lose stone from the guy who travels the world to find the different gems. I had it put into a Tacori setting. Well worth it! Wife loves it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #961
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
The "wait list" isn't really a list that the AD goes down, step-by-step, until they reach your name.

If you have no buying history and haven't purchased anything else from the shop, that "8 year wait" will be longer and more than likely never. Same goes for most smaller shops as well. I'm not saying it'll never happen and there are instances that I've read where someone walks in and catches something, but the chances are slim.

I was put on "the list" last month and will have my black dial Daytona this month or early next month, essentially the next black dial Daytona they receive. How did I jump up the list? As I said, this is my fifth new Rolex I'm purchasing (two BLNRs, Hulk, white Daytona) and I've actually spent more at this AD on jewelry for the wife and family than watches. Finally, to push myself up the list I traded my red 1680 for less than market value so my AD could resell it for about a $2-3,000 profit. So I took a hit on that watch of $3,000, but the Daytona is worth about $9,000 more than I'm paying for it so I'm still in the clear.
Many of the ADs are looking for an ongoing relationship. They're in the business to make money. They can't mark-up the new Rolex's at all, but they do make a nice profit on jewelry. The last piece that pushed this over the edge was my wife's 50th birthday present. A very nice sapphire ring that I purchased the lose stone from the guy who travels the world to find the different gems. I had it put into a Tacori setting. Well worth it! Wife loves it.
this times a billion.

if you want a New SS Sport Rolex at MSRP, you need to develop a strong relationship with an AD.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #962
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Here it is! Six week wait for it and it's totally worth it. I missed my modern Daytona so much. I'm pretty happy with my watch lineup ATM.

I've had the watch for over a week and have worn it half a dozen times at least. I'm actually on a business trip in Phoenix and it made the trip with me. Loving it.

Modern: 116500
Classics: 6263 PN and 1675 Pepsi
Everyday fun: Hamilton Khaki
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
SaMaster144320.50
ASAP10048.00
Nivarox1090.00
///Mongo272.50
      05-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #963
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Well done TSM, wear it in good health, enjoy.
Have my Sub ND and have been happy with it for some years but still get the itch for SS Daytona. One day I might pull the trigger, if I can even find one.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
ASAP10048.00
      05-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #964
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Well done TSM, wear it in good health, enjoy.
Have my Sub ND and have been happy with it for some years but still get the itch for SS Daytona. One day I might pull the trigger, if I can even find one.
Same scenario here... i have a date sub and the only watch that i'd swap for would be the SS Panda Daytona... so far my luck has not been good.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      05-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #965
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Here it is! Six week wait for it and it's totally worth it. I missed my modern Daytona so much. I'm pretty happy with my watch lineup ATM.

I've had the watch for over a week and have worn it half a dozen times at least. I'm actually on a business trip in Phoenix and it made the trip with me. Loving it.

Modern: 116500
Classics: 6263 PN and 1675 Pepsi
Everyday fun: Hamilton Khaki
Beautiful watch. I like the black more than the white. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 11:55 PM   #966
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep

Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Congrats, I like black dial over white too
Happy Days
      05-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #967
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

So I am back from Europe. Went to the Rolex AD in Paris with my wife's uncle who has connections. They brought me out their only Daytona from the back, a 116515LN. I did not like this watch on the configurator online but in person I loved it. After negotiations they agreed no VAT and 15% off. After making the deal they then tell us they don't take cash for any transactions over 15k. We were ready to pay cash and leave. So in the end I did not get the watch due to having to add credit card fees as our travel cars had much lower limits. We could have only used a normal car and got hit with another 3%fee.

Very bummed to say the least as it was on my wrist and we made the deal. Now it's back to the States and my wife's dad is saying his AD can get me one and for a similar deal. My wife's dad is claiming he can call his AD and order it for me and we can get it in a month. This doesn't seem realistic based on the info I have read. But then again it didn't seem realistic the deal I almost got until I got to Paris and negotiated that deal. Any insight is appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TSM330i873.50
      05-27-2019, 08:06 PM   #968
ASAP
Major General
Rep

For a gold piece the discounts are usually higher... but that seemed like a great deal...

So kind of like we said no steel and you kind of blew it lol.
Appreciate 1