New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

09-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
drewski429
Rep

Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Sport 6MT

M54 valve cover changes

So I have had an M54 Z4 before, and my buddy just got a 2001 540i 5-speed (jealous). I have some performance coil packs from Bavarian Autosports from my old M54 and his engine is the one from pre-2002 engine changes so he uses the old-style square-headed screw-down coil packs.

Is there compatibility with the newer-style valve cover to just swap the valve cover out to the new design and accept the newer-style coil packs, or no? When I look at close-up photos for both, the gasket and bolt holes look to be exactly identical and positioned exactly the same...

11121432928 is the current valve cover and 11127512839 is the new style. They really look exactly the same except for the coil pack area, even the spark plug well gaskets look exactly the same...

If anyone has done this successfully, it would be helpful. I actually have an old M54 valve cover in my garage which is cracked in one corner, but he doesn't want to remove the current one just to scope it out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0