Sign out
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

02-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
WestRace
Private
Rep

Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Howard Schultz on CNN town hall tonight at 7:00pm PST

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/12/polit...all/index.html

Maybe this thread can be used to discuss after his town hall on CNN. I actually like what I hear what he's been saying but more importantly I sort of like him as a person. Can't say the same for any of the potential Dems candidates at least so far. Saw Beto getting a bit worked up yesterday and people hoping he's another Obama but Obama was a law professor and shows little more restraint.

I think the problem with a lot of business persons running for office is that they tend to be too logical which works well in the corporate environment. Trump was one of a few business men who knows how to get through all the logics and speak in ways that regular people can relate to.

Anyway, I look forward to see what he'll say tonight.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
N54Yankee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Who?
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
WestRace
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Who?
lols did I not spell his name right?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:23 AM   #4
N54Yankee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
lols did I not spell his name right?
I was just being facetious
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

I watched about 10 mins of it then went to bed. More of the same from him, IMO.

Long on rhetoric, short on any sort of specifics.

I'm unimpressed so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
WestRace
Private
Rep

I thought he may switch to the Dems but last night he more or less pissed them off at least those on the far left. He stopped short of calling them "dishonest". Some Dems think (if wishfully) he's center left but I thought he's more center right since he's still instinctively a business man, not some loony politician. The problem is if he's center right, then why not just keep Trump if you're a republican.

Another problem is any outsider will face a lot of entrenched special interests. You can have your own ideals but as one person, even a president, it's a fight against the whole establishment, both right and left. I wish him luck. And I think I've seen this movie before.

Another problem for him is he seems a bit of stiff - a bit awkward when he was switching from sitting down, facing the audiences, facing the host, and his body languages probably still need a lot of works, but those can be fixed.

But his biggest problem and I am not sure it can be fixed is that during the entire town hall, I don't think he said a single joke. His laughing was a bit forced. It may not be a problem as a CEO, but on a campaign trails ... err I mean rallies, you need to play with the audience. I think Obama, Trump, Bill Clinton all have these so maybe that's why they got elected. Policies are nice but at the end of the day, people vote because you're a bad a$$ whether from left or right.
Appreciate 0