E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Auto Transmission - should I stop in Neutral?

08-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Auto Transmission - should I stop in Neutral?

Not entirely sure on how this works, but when I'm shifting from Park to Drive or anything where I skip over a gear, should I stop in that gear to allow the transmission to catch up? Or does it know that I'm skipping and automatically go to the desired gear?

For instance, should I stop in Neutral and let the engine/gear settle when going from Reverse to Drive?
      08-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Naw. No need, just make sure you come to a complete stop. No rolling gear changes mkay?

**When parking on hills, put the car in Neutral, then pull up the hand brake. Make sure it supports the car (you'll be surprised how hard you have to pull it), then move the shifter into Park. If you go into park first, let the car fall back, and then pull the hand brake then you are doing absolutely nothing to protect your transmission, and all the weight of the car is on the Park pin in the tranny.
Also do this whenever you use the handbrake on an automatic car. If the car moves when you release your handbrake you're using it wrong!

-Just a rant because i see so many people using their hand brakes incorrectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkneiber View Post
Naw. No need, just make sure you come to a complete stop. No rolling gear changes mkay?

**When parking on hills, put the car in Neutral, then pull up the hand brake. Make sure it supports the car (you'll be surprised how hard you have to pull it), then move the shifter into Park. If you go into park first, let the car fall back, and then pull the hand brake then you are doing absolutely nothing to protect your transmission, and all the weight of the car is on the Park pin in the tranny.
Also do this whenever you use the handbrake on an automatic car. If the car moves when you release your handbrake you're using it wrong!

+1, I hate watching people change while rolling and pulling the brake after dropping the car in park.

Anyone else know how it works and can explain it in relative layman's terms?
      08-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Arnold K.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370Z

Quote:

Likewise, you can just keeping holding down the brake after putting it into park, lift the handbrake, and let go of the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold K. View Post
Likewise, you can just keeping holding down the brake after putting it into park, lift the handbrake, and let go of the brakes.
^That's what most people do, and a lot of the time the car will still roll back when they release the handbrake.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Gator328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 328i

If you look in the owner's manual on page 42 it gives the following sequence for parking the vehicle:

1. With the car at a standstill, move the selector level to position P.
2. Briefly press the start/stop button.
3. Apply the parking brake.

Of course, these are the same geniuses who recommend 15k miles between oil changes and lifetime fluids for the car as well, so what the hell do they know!
      08-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator328i View Post
If you look in the owner's manual on page 42 it gives the following sequence for parking the vehicle:

1. With the car at a standstill, move the selector level to position P.
2. Briefly press the start/stop button.
3. Apply the parking brake.

Of course, these are the same geniuses who recommend 15k miles between oil changes and lifetime fluids for the car as well, so what the hell do they know!
Bwahahahahaha! You figured it out. BMW has constructed the owner's manual to make sure that the owner will destroy the car by misusing the Park function before the inadequate maintenance program does it in. Clever, but not clever enough for you!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
ShinyRedCar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
...**When parking on hills, put the car in Neutral, then pull up the hand brake. Make sure it supports the car (you'll be surprised how hard you have to pull it), then move the shifter into Park. If you go into park first, let the car fall back, and then pull the hand brake then you are doing absolutely nothing to protect your transmission, and all the weight of the car is on the Park pin in the tranny.

Appreciate 0