Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #45
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Most people car shop on affordability. At least I know I do. 911 have backseats too but I would definitely compare it to a Z06.
you couldnt be any more wrong lol. maybe college kids shop on pure affordability..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #46
Ro_Ja Boy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cars

Most people on here live in America where 90%+ finance (or even lease) their cars. Therefore they choose how much they want to put down, how much they want their payments to be, etc.

I know the 1%ers don't understand that and don't believe someone could possibly do that, but it's true.

^Did you finance your 328 msport?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #47
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
The Z06 is going to be 100k$ according to this
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/aut...icle-1.1577829
I don t see how you can cross shop a car that is 35k more expensive
They are speculating. I doubt it. The current Z06 was $85k with the LT3 package (all options). I suspect this will be $85k as well, but it will be $100k with the optional Z07 performance package which includes ceramic brakes and exotic things like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #48
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
I answered about me personally because that was the original question ("would you....?")

And I was honest. Even if not a DB, I'd feel like one driving a corvette. I'd have to buy Ed Hardy or Affliction shirts. And that would be sad....
I did notice afterwards that you had an E wagon and though nice car...I would totally rock an estate car (E63/RS6/CTSV)....

But back to my original comment.

"Even if not a DB, I'd feel like one driving (x) car"....and that you would have to buy affliction shirts.....that is just ridiculous in itself.

I'm wondering how driving a Mercedes makes you change who you are? Because if it doesn't, why the hell would driving any other car make you change?

So since I drive a BMW, all of a sudden I need to talk/dress/act a certain way? Absolutely not.

Still confused here....certain cars with stigmas attached to them make you feel the stigma within yourself, while other cars do not.

Not trying to argue here but this is what you are saying.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #49
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fatal Gamer View Post
I have had my license over 15 years and the new Z06 could be my first american car. Yesterday was a very proud day for americans.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #50
///ADMAN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
I'll be cross-shopping. But, not the Z06. Just the C7-3LT-Z51. And, prolly the Lexus CR-F as well. I think BMW could have done so much more with the looks of the ///M4 and didn't. Still not feeling it...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #51
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I did notice afterwards that you had an E wagon and though nice car...I would totally rock an estate car (E63/RS6/CTSV)....

"Even if not a DB, I'd feel like one driving (x) car"....and that you would have to buy affliction shirts.....that is just ridiculous in itself.

I'm wondering how driving a Mercedes makes you change who you are? Because if it doesn't, why the hell would driving any other car make you change?

So since I drive a BMW, all of a sudden I need to talk/dress/act a certain way? Absolutely not.

Still confused here....certain cars with stigmas attached to them make you feel the stigma within yourself, while other cars do not.

Yeah, you should probably guess that half of what I am saying is at least half tongue in cheek.

I don't feel different and don't dress different because of my cars.

But what we drive says something about who we are. And cars carry images. And when one drives a specific car, one will be seen as buying into the image surrounding the car - thus affecting ones own image. If I wear a suit, a lumberjack jacket or a mini skirt, it will impact my image. If I am over the age of 30, and at all self aware, I should be honest with myself and acknowledge that image is part of life and myself. Pretending you don't (or can't) care at all is naive.y

Driving a Benz doesn't make me feel different, but it surely impacts how others see me.

Some cars have weaker images/brands (think Volkswagen or Kia) some are very strong. I believe the Vette to be the latter. I don't care for the image. As I said, maybe that image will change. GM is trying hard to do just that. Would be good for GM and it's plans if it did.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:20 AM   #52
cksv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ADMAN View Post
I'll be cross-shopping. But, not the Z06. Just the C7-3LT-Z51. And, prolly the Lexus CR-F as well. I think BMW could have done so much more with the looks of the ///M4 and didn't. Still not feeling it...
Same here. I really wanted to like the M4 but there are too many things wrong with it in my eyes. I'm coming out of a lease on a 335is and it's looking like I'm going to pick up a C7 with the same packages you mentioned. Artic white with red calipers and black rims/mirrors/spoiler. It's such a sweet looking beast. Looks like an exotic from the front! Now if only I could convince a dealer to let me drive one.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #53
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I'm waiting on Z06 pricing and cross shopping both. I mean...c'mon....just look at this thing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #54
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
you couldnt be any more wrong lol. maybe college kids shop on pure affordability..
Lol ok then. Well I'm not a college kid nor are any of my friends. We are all in our late 30s.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #55
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
I have had my license over 15 years and the new Z06 could be my first american car. Yesterday was a very proud day for americans.
LOL. good for you, champ
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #56
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

Yeah, you should probably guess that half of what I am saying is at least half tongue in cheek.

I don't feel different and don't dress different because of my cars.

But what we drive says something about who we are. And cars carry images. And when one drives a specific car, one will be seen as buying into the image surrounding the car - thus affecting ones own image. If I wear a suit, a lumberjack jacket or a mini skirt, it will impact my image. If I am over the age of 30, and at all self aware, I should be honest with myself and acknowledge that image is part of life and myself. Pretending you don't (or can't) care at all is naive.y

Driving a Benz doesn't make me feel different, but it surely impacts how others see me.

Some cars have weaker images/brands (think Volkswagen or Kia) some are very strong. I believe the Vette to be the latter. I don't care for the image. As I said, maybe that image will change. GM is trying hard to do just that. Would be good for GM and it's plans if it did.
Ok. This makes more sense. I am aware that cars do present some sort of image to others about us.

But i dont think a c7 would scream midlife crisis as other cars would. I do think GM is trying to change the image of its buyers because right now its primarily a grandpa mobile (way past midlife crisis age)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #57
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I'm not cross shopping with the Z06. The main reason is that they are not the same type of car. The C7 Z06 is a gem of a performance car and most likely a fantastic track car (based on what I have seen from the C6 Z06).

However, what I like best about the M3/M4 is the flexibility it offers. It does everything pretty darn well: Daily drive, haul the kids to day care, haul materials from home depot, family road trips, romp in the twisties and track days. It is one of the best all rounders out there.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-15-2014 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #58
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I'm not cross shopping with the Z06. The main reason is that they are not the same type of car. The C7 Z06 is a gem of a performance car and most likely a fantastic track (based on what I have seen from the C6 Z06).

However, what I like best about the M3/M4 is the flexibility it offers. It does everything pretty darn well: Daily drive, haul the kids to day care, haul materials from home depot, family road trips, romp in the twisties and track days. It is one of the best all rounders out there.
I agree 100% with the second paragraph and I can understand that position from people. I myself use this car as a weekend car and would definitely test a C7 Z06. I will not wait til next year tho so the M3 gonna win. Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #59
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:

I also cannot believe that I, along with many folks from the M3 forum, have been talking more about Z06 than anything else.

Have you lost touch with reality? This is a three page thread vs. all others regarding M3/4.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #60
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
I'm not cross shopping with the Z06. The main reason is that they are not the same type of car. The C7 Z06 is a gem of a performance car and most likely a fantastic track car (based on what I have seen from the C6 Z06).

Removeable carbon top should help with bringing things back from home depot
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #61
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
One of my car friends gave me great advice. He said wait until you can buy your first "expensive" with cash (my E92 M3 was around 70k). Then when it is worth $50k sell it and trade up. You will (at least in your mind) feel like you are getting a deal on your next car (for me a 911 C4s). I will sell my 911 for in a few months for $55k then my $90k car will only be $45k! How could you not buy a Z06 for $45k or an M4 for $20k loaded? Well at least that is what I keep telling myself!
      01-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #62
///ADMAN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Why on Earth would you want to pay cash for a $70K car? You do realize you can make more interest on $70K than it costs you to finance $70K. Don't you?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #63
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

Quote:
Why on Earth would you want to pay cash for a $70K car? You do realize you can make more interest on $70K than it costs you to finance $70K. Don't you?
Its probably a bad business decision but helps me sleep at night! I am not paying $70k It is only$15k since my car is worth $55k btw...
      01-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #64
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley
Quote:
Its probably a bad business decision but helps me sleep at night! I am not paying $70k It is only$15k since my car is worth $55k btw...
In your case you should lease then. Youll prob spend around the same amount in the couple years but at the same time not carry the burden in case of total loss or theft or whatever it may be that can make your car worth nothing all of a sudden.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #65
Randy M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 B302 LS

Quote:
Where? Banks don't pay more than 1% unless you lock your money up. If you do the rate isn't worth it. Stock market? Yeah great potential upside but with the fed's monetary policy, I don't know it feels like a powder keg ready to explode and I'm already exposed enough as it is. Gold? If you invested in it over the last couple of years (out of fear) you've lost your ass on it. RE both residential and commercial imo is the best. It's tangible. Take the bank loan but pay it off as fast as possible.

Banks suck and you're slave to them if you owe them. They are not your friends. I pay cash for cars, almost always unless they have a rebate offer. I take it, make one monthly payment and then pay it off. The only reason people take any sort of financing is that they can't comfortably pay cash and maintain all the other irons in the fire they have. If that is the case, for me I question whether or not I've earned the privilege of having the toy. If you pay someone else to have something (especially on a depreciating asset) that is not the way to go imo.
      01-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #66
kdphan
Captain
Rep
Drives: everything is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
Where? Banks don't pay more than 1% unless you lock your money up. If you do the rate isn't worth it. Stock market? Yeah great potential upside but with the fed's monetary policy, I don't know it feels like a powder keg ready to explode and I'm already exposed enough as it is. Gold? If you invested in it over the last couple of years (out of fear) you've lost your ass on it. RE both residential and commercial imo is the best. It's tangible. Take the bank loan but pay it off as fast as possible.

Banks suck and you're slave to them if you owe them. They are not your friends. I pay cash for cars, almost always unless they have a rebate offer. I take it, make one monthly payment and then pay it off. The only reason people take any sort of financing is that they can't comfortably pay cash and maintain all the other irons in the fire they have. If that is the case, for me I question whether or not I've earned the privilege of having the toy. If you pay someone else to have something (especially on a depreciating asset) that is not the way to go imo.
I have the opposite view as you with regards to paying $70k cash for a car

There are risks associated with all cash for a big item, in this case $70k car. That risk is the potential return on investment for that $70k. One can throw the $70k in an index fund or even a low risk 40% equity and 60% fixed income fund and potentially get a better return that 0%. Even opening a 5yr CD will get you over 2% at Penfed. 2% = $1400/annually in interest income.

But the risk of investing in the stock market/gold as you suggested can have its downside; loss of investment.

At the end of the day, I would rather put my $$ to work than let it sit doing nothing.
Appreciate 0