New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

07-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 328xi

Need new digital camera

Hi,

I have a honeymoon trip coming up in a month and will be going to Maui.

Need a new camera, currently I have a Olympus stylus 710 and it's been acting up for the past month to two...when I take a pic in full zoom when it's warm or hot out...the image is just black.
Zoom out and it works fine and then it becomes a hit/miss....I think it's on it's way out considering it's over a few years old now.

Now I'm trying to choose from Canon powershot or Nikon coolpix...after reading reviews on both of them...it has me stumbled on what to get but leaning more towards the Canon now.

By looking at both websites, there's so many selections and models of digi cameras to choose I can't seem to narrow down what is best to replace my olympus stylus 710.

Can anyone recommend me a Canon powershot or Nikon coolpix digital camera model which is better than the Olympus stylus 710?

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
golfinz
Captain
Rep

Drives: Tanzanite M3

Whats your budget?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Apparently your budget will allow for a Canon or Nikon DSLR. Go with one of those for the greatest variety of availalbe high quality lenses. Olympus, Panasonic and others make some good cameras and systems, but you don't want to lock into a system that really forces you to use only their lenses.

That said, if you Canon or Nikon, try to stay with their lenses unless you by a lens with excellent reviews and high testing results.

I've got Canon, but for every Canon lover there's at least one that swears by Nikon. They're both excellent and are very competitive with each other price wise and value wise.

You might budget for at least a UV-filter and maybe add a polarizing filter to improve your shots on the water in the islands. Have a great trip and post pictures here for us to see.

Dave
      07-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
vachss
Captain
Rep

Drives: Z4 Coupe

I don't think the OP is necessarily looking for a DSLR. They're great for some things, but not necessarily as a knockaround beach camera. Canon and Nikon both make a wide range of P&S cameras that would work well with prices ranging from ~$200-500 and feature sets to match.

Canon and Nikon (and Olympus and Sony and Panasonic for that matter) all make good quality P&S cameras and it may be hard to choose among them. One main differentiatior for me is the broad range of water housings available for Canon compact cameras. The last time we went to Hawaii we wished we'd had an underwater camera. Subsequently we've gotten water housings for both my wife's tiny SD800 and my, slightly larger, G9. Both have kept our cameras nicely dry during all manner of wet adventures. If I were going on another watersports/snorkeling/beach type vacation one of these is the camera I'd choose.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Well, in P&S the Canon G9 or G10 is hard to beat. I still use my G9 for candids, where the 5D MkII is too "scary" for sensitive subjects. Mated with DxO's excellent Optics Pro software, the RAW conversion file compete with many DSLRs for sharpness.

Dave
      07-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
Whats your budget?
I would spend up to about $350 but really depends on the features and quailty it offers.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
I don't think the OP is necessarily looking for a DSLR. They're great for some things, but not necessarily as a knockaround beach camera. Canon and Nikon both make a wide range of P&S cameras that would work well with prices ranging from ~$200-500 and feature sets to match.

Canon and Nikon (and Olympus and Sony and Panasonic for that matter) all make good quality P&S cameras and it may be hard to choose among them. One main differentiatior for me is the broad range of water housings available for Canon compact cameras. The last time we went to Hawaii we wished we'd had an underwater camera. Subsequently we've gotten water housings for both my wife's tiny SD800 and my, slightly larger, G9. Both have kept our cameras nicely dry during all manner of wet adventures. If I were going on another watersports/snorkeling/beach type vacation one of these is the camera I'd choose.

That's a plus with Canon with underwater housings because I do scuba diving and would like to take pictures of wrecks and sea creatures as I do mostly when I'm in Aruba yearly.

I'm really looking for a P&S camera and I would like to keep it small since I don't have to lug it around, she carries it in her purse as she does with her Olympus stylus 710

Most of the pictures taken would be family, beaches, night life, car shows, close up of airliners at work, some scenic views.
Appreciate 0