Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

06-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #793
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Drives: F10 535

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #794
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
In terms of reform, I would be happy with a simple requirement for training. This could easily weed out some of the crazies attempting to buy guns. I have several friends that are firearms instructors and teach tactical assault to police departments and civilians. They have all turned down people they felt were "off" and reported them. This requirement alone would reduce mass shootings, and allow responsible gun owners to keep their guns. The solution to the problem (like nearly all problems) is not all or nothing.
This is a great idea.
Wow - they should implement this requirement for anyone trying to get a conceal/carry weapons permit.
      06-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #795
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Still don't get it... It's unconstitutional to create such lists without due process.... oh forget it...
Secondly, let's stop the bullsh*@!! The Orlando attack had nothing to do with Islam, ISIS, or anything remotely terror related. The guy was angry because he was gay, he had sex with a man who later turned out to be HIV positive, and that created a grudge for him with Latin men. Keep in mind NONE of the above sentence would ever be supported by ISIS.

Also, on the same day as that attack, a REAL act of terror was stopped in West Hollywood, but nobody seems to want to call it an act of terror. Maybe because it was a white guy that had an arsenal and bomb making tools? Hmmmm.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...nap-story.html

The FBI would disagree that the shooter was gay.
      06-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #796
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Since my background is in finance and economics I once entertained the idea of requiring gun owners to have insurance to cover incidents in the house such as medical expenses covering a gun going off on your property and having it injure someone and things like that.

While it would suck to pay insurance, you could get discounts if you could provide proof that guns are kept securely, additional discounts if you have a CCW permit or anything else that would imply you've received specialized training. I figure if one were to insure guns, it wouldn't be that much anyway and it would give financial incentive for people to be responsible around them.

Would they stop mass shootings like the one in Orlando? Probably not, but at least it'd reduce the instances you see where dumbass parents leave loaded guns out in the open only to have their child accidentally kill themselves or others.

But either way, it was just me throwing around ideas, no idea has to how viable it'd be in practice or if it's even Constitutional.
I agree with all of that. I think the cost would be minimal, especially if you have homeowner's insurance, car insurance, and firearms insurance through a single provider - discounts would mount quickly.

I also agree it wouldn't stop mass shootings, neither would my requirement to have people train. However, it could easily reduce them, and that is the goal right? Reduce mass shootings and still be able to have our 2nd amendment rights. The solution seems simple, and nobody loses their guns.
Homeowners insurance is on the hook for liability with their insured's guns. The fact that they don't typically require anything additional shows that it isn't an issue for gun owners. Insurers will increase your premium if you have a large dog - but not if you have a gun.

I agree with a previous poser that this is not an issue. Nothing proposed thus far will do anything to decrease gun violence, but is a Trojan horse to erode the 2nd amendment. The San Bernadino shooters raised all of these issues again; the left had no answers at that time, and refused to see the issue as immigration. The only thing that's changed is more deflection.
      06-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #797
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: Glacier silver F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...nap-story.html

The FBI would disagree that the shooter was gay.
The FBI also has said they've found no link between the shooter and ISIS

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ghtclub-attack
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #798
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
You are not a democrat? Haha. Good one. Something might happen. That's true. With the help of Clinton's Supreme Court pick the second will be all but gone anyway. So why the rush?
"OMG Look.... The sky... It's Falling!!! Run for your lives"

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 06-24-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #799
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
"OMG Look.... The sky... It's Falling!!! Run for your kives"
Did water fall out of the sky there too? It was so scary here in Cali
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #800
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
As I just said, the next time heart disease slaughters 50 otherwise healthy people in one night, we can revisit your moronic notions. Until then, sit down junior, grown folks talking.

Name specific places when this happened, go ahead.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_gun_control_theory

But then if you had actually studied history, you would already know this
PS....The Polish Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto held off the Nazi's trying to force them into a concentration camp for a full month.

Now, perhaps you're the cowardly type that would rather forfeit a losing fight, but I'd rather die on my feet.
      06-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #801
iamwingman
Captain
Rep

Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
"OMG Look.... The sky... It's Falling!!! Run for your lives"
I don't get it. Are you being facetious? Suggesting that's it's funny and no big deal that 5 people in robes are going to start castrating elements of our bill of rights?
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 11:34 PM   #802
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Nope, I am a staunch independent, because both parties are full of shit. I don't think a single politician means a word they say, regardless of their position. They say what their bases want to hear in front of the cameras, then turn around and take the lobbyists checks to keep things pretty much the same. As I said, I am a gun owner, and I intend to keep them. It is getting to a breaking point though, something will be done to try to stop mass shootings.
So apparently you've not been paying attention to the saga of the Republican Party and Donald Trump...

Taullrightythen.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #803
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

A footnote on this - the FBI just released the full transcripts of the Orlando shooter's call to 911. They had previously only released a partial version, where they had scrubbed out who he pledged allegiance to, and other tidbits that evidenced it was indeed a terrorist attack. They had to know this even as it unfolded, but (again) the FBI and Justice Department refused to call terrorism what it is:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...922-story.html
MKSixer14898.50
DonaldPump6024.00

10-04-2016, 10:34 PM   #804
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Have you heard of the 101st Muhammad?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ads-since-911/