New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-13-2021, 10:10 AM   #23
damnitBobby
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Is the M340 really that stiff? You're coming from an M3, I'd imaging the M340 is plenty comfortable. If anything I wish it were more hard-edged. I agree the C43 has an unnecessarily stiff ride and overrated interior.

S4/S5 are nice choices. IS500 will have the novelty of the V8 but I find its interior so cheap and handling so disappointing. That car has a massive delay between steering inputs and the car actually doing anything. Most reviews on the IS350 are ho-hum for a reason.
To be honest I haven't drove the M340i for the simple reason I'm taking a break from BMW for a while. From reviews it seems like it's between the S4 and C43 in terms of ride comfort. I'm sure it's a great car and the B58 is an overachiever.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      08-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #24
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Have you looked at the Lexus ES or IS sedans?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #25
prolific
Private
Rep

Drives: IS-250

Thank you all so much for the interactions and replies here. Lots of great suggestions; I sincerely appreciate it. Going to try and reply to a few that stood out and keep the conversation rolling as I work toward narrowing this down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
Porsche Macan S/GTS/Turbo... I have one, it feels like my old B8 S4, but amazing build quality. I can't believe how quiet this car is on the highway.
I like this call a lot, because it's a Porsche obviously, but truthfully did not list it because it wasn't a car/model that I had previously even thought about or driven. Will definitely explore and get a test drive in though.

My two initial thoughts about the Macan are: 1) The backseat does look a bit cramped (not a make/break, but something I'll probably focus on a bit more coming from a coupe and looking to get a bit bigger) and 2) the price tag. For example, in my area, I see a '17 Macan S with 26k miles listed for $43.9k at the moment. Can probably work with that (and look down to the base Macan versus the S), but imagine I'll see some higher prices given it's a Porsche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
What's wrong with a low mileage CPO 530i or 540i for 35-40k?
Nothing at all, and I want to add this to my list. I've always thought the 535i's looked really clean from a handful of years back (one of my buddy's pops had one, always thought it was sharp).

Looking at 530i's, in my area, an '18 with just under 20k miles (with the Premium Package) is listed for $41.8k. Can definitely work with that. I guess my question for this group would be:

If I'm looking at 5's would it also be worthwhile looking at a 4-Series as well? I think they look just as nice -- if not better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
I'd get the lowest mileage, cleanest, cheapest 340i you can find. Upgrade the suspension (eventually), add a catless downpipe and flash tune.
Not opposed to this.

How would you all rank the CPO route and preference for the 3 - 4 - and 5 Series, as asked above? Where would consensus take me -- or is it personal preference as far as looks are concerned at that point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Used 6 series GC. The best-looking production BMW the last many years and seems like the best looking one for many more years to come.
I agree - think the 6 probably looks the best out of the lot for sure. Problem is, even used, I'm pushing $50k+ -- for example, I'm seeing an '18 with 37k miles for over $55k. I think if I'm looking in that ballpark, I'm just going the S5 Sportback route, or M340i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
If you liked your previous A5 and like the S5 sportback then maybe check out the A5 sportback. Compared to your prior A5 it will likely feel sportier (if you pick the more powerful 4 cylinder turbo and your prior A5 wasn't a manual). Plus it will be much more budget friendly.
Big fan of the A5 Sportback look for all the reasons I love the S5, of course. Adding this to the list, and will also get a test drive.

Still also considering an S4 -- anyone have any thoughts in that regard? Perhaps a current daily for someone?

Again, appreciate everyone's time and input thus far.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #26
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginster6 View Post
2022 GR Corolla

AWD & Stick
Actually excited for this. I wish the US got more compact sports cars, was bummed when the GR Yaris wasn't sold here.
      08-14-2021, 03:01 PM   #27
prolific
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginster6 View Post
2022 GR Corolla

AWD & Stick
Just did my Googles and searched around:

I’m definitely intrigued.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 03:44 PM   #28
prolific
Private
Rep

Bumping this to the top as I think I'm zeroing in on the 430i xDrive for the next daily.

Looking to get a test drive in the coming weeks.

My only concern going into things it the "size" of the car, mainly backseat space. Is it a "true" sedan or more so a slightly bigger coupe with the addition of a couple of extra doors. Benefit of the possible size is it looks super sleek and sporty; big fan (and I don't see too many in my area).
Appreciate 0