New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Also the fact there is a lot of incorrect info in the video.
Yeah, the diff ratio matters too. Most diff ratios are different between the manual version and the automatic version.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #24
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Neat looking, like the futuristic cars from the 1950's/1960's.

I really like the Mustang Mach E except for the TV screen. 300 miles range would most likely work for me in the winter. It supposedly handles very well and has great chassis dynamics, but I just don't need the big screen TV. What I don't understand, is while it's neat to have a big-ass map display on the dash, for 90% of anyone's use, they don't constantly need to have a map up on a screen because 90% of the time people are commuting and know where they are going. The 10% of the time, turn-by-turn directions are more useful than eyeballing a map. This comes from years of experience being a courier working my way through college in the 1980's, before the internet and cell phones.

Why can't the TV screen interface just be an option. Make an integrated connector/mount for it on the dash and for the folks who want the TV screen, they can buy one and plug it in. For the jokers like me, I never have to get the big TV screen, or at best leave it in the trunk in the case; well I really can't think of a case. LOL
You'd then have to have multiple connectors for different phones, multiple APIs, etc. It really doesn't make any sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
You'd then have to have multiple connectors for different phones, multiple APIs, etc. It really doesn't make any sense.
I can see precision of my language would lead you to think hardware interface. No, I was using the term "interface" as in using a big screen for the driver to interface with the vehicle, i.e. the user interface. My preference would be for the manufacturer to offer its big screen as an optional plug-in that the driver can mount on the dashboard when he wants to use a big screen as the User Interface. So, it would be a screen supplied by the manufacturer that connects to a hard-mount on the dash (to pass crash regs).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:27 AM   #26
Murf993
Major
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Also the fact there is a lot of incorrect info in the video.
It seemed like a pretty well thought out and likely well researched presentation. What was incorrect?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:38 AM   #27
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I can see precision of my language would lead you to think hardware interface. No, I was using the term "interface" as in using a big screen for the driver to interface with the vehicle, i.e. the user interface. My preference would be for the manufacturer to offer its big screen as an optional plug-in that the driver can mount on the dashboard when he wants to use a big screen as the User Interface. So, it would be a screen supplied by the manufacturer that connects to a hard-mount on the dash (to pass crash regs).
Ahh gotcha.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #28
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

some manuals transmissions are better geared than the equivalent auto/pdk for performance. some aren't. F80 for instance has good ratios for the manual... the ratios for the dct will leave you scratching your head as they don't make much sense. the last thing the car needs is a shorter 1st gear ratio.

turbo auto/dct cars have a big advantage as they don't lose boost between shifts.

manual NA cars, like the GT3, don't have a huge advantage with a pdk aside from 0-60 and consistency around the track. The manual has a no-lift-shift mechanism that lets you shift with the throttle pinned. how quick it goes just depends on how quick you can kick a clutch.

** aero is probably playing a slight role here. but youre not seeing the pdk RS leap forward a ton (maybe foot) every time the manual gt3 shifts.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS

Last edited by Humdizzle; 07-14-2021 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
WickedBMW612.50