New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-12-2021, 05:48 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
That's interesting because during our race today I was thinking about how misguided the retro-styling thing is. While dodge has pretty much cornered "retro-styling" with the challenger, I think Ford and Chevy need to move past it with cars like the Camaro and Mustang. It seems more that they cling to this to help increase sales, luring people in because it's a (insert classic car name here), but not because it's a damn good car. In some cases, they are damn good cars, but trying to retro-style rather than build the best goddamn car is misguided IMO. If you build a good car, then it sells, THEN it becomes the new "standard" for that car and the name becomes synonymous with that body style or year. This is kind of opposite of building an "ok car" and trying to sell it based on name and appearance.
I'm sure the internet will prove me wrong, but as I remember it, Volkswagen started the retro-styling with the Beetle in 1997. The Ford Thunderbird followed in 2002. Then the Mustang in 2005. Then Challenger in 2008. And now the New Bronco in 2021. So I think Ford is really the company that has done the most retro-styling of its past models. Hell, the last Continental had a coach-door model if you wanted to pay for it.

I think Chevrolet has moved past the Camaro retro styling in earnest, but it's based on a great chassis. The Mustang still harks back to the original but more the 2nd gen now, which flows in the rear of the Mach E. Again, with the Mach E Mustang, I think Ford has a long-term goal for its naming strategy.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
RM72889.50