New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Closed Thread

06-25-2021, 03:29 PM   #67
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
These ice vs. electric vehicles reminds me of the argument for and against digital cameras. Personally I resisted digital because of the quality of digital cameras, as well as their price, obviously. But now that the technology has improved, my film cameras are mostly for display, believing that one day I will make a day out of using one. People slam EVs for much the same reason, but like it or not, they are not going away, and will only improve, until ice vehicles too, become display items.
You can go to the beach with your family on a hot day, feel the wind, feel the sand and water

Or you can put on virtual reality goggles and meet your family in a virtual environment and do thr same thing

You can have original cameras or have fake digital cameras that create the pictures that only exist in a microchip but it can be edited and manipulated in any way

You can drive a ICE hot rod with rumbling exhaust notes, or you can drive a skateboard with a hot rod bodykit and piped in speaker noise

I know which ones Id choose, your comparison to cameras is an oversimplification and is not the same thing
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #68
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
new post on IG from brooks at dragtimes.

The Plaid is faster than the 765LT, Ferrari SF90, and Chiron on a 60-130 roll. Nuts.
LOL…forget about factory hypercars, <5s 60-130 MPH is TT Lambo on kill territory. On pump gas or E85, the Tesla is walking away. Best part is it can do it on any day, under any conditions, with 4 passengers and a trunk full of groceries. Can’t imagine how silly the Roadster is gonna be.

No question the 765 will net more thumbs-up and conversations at the gas station, though. Validation from strangers is what really counts.
Appreciate 2
Humdizzle6036.00
chris7197325.50
      06-25-2021, 03:51 PM   #69
rwheels
Major
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
You can go to the beach with your family on a hot day, feel the wind, feel the sand and water

Or you can put on virtual reality goggles and meet your family in a virtual environment and do thr same thing

You can have original cameras or have fake digital cameras that create the pictures that only exist in a microchip but it can be edited and manipulated in any way

You can drive a ICE hot rod with rumbling exhaust notes, or you can drive a skateboard with a hot rod bodykit and piped in speaker noise

I know which ones Id choose, your comparison to cameras is an oversimplification and is not the same thing
Do you seriously believe that gasoline is an unlimited resource? Yes, the comparison may have been oversimplified, but the example is not. Manufacturers know full well that the ice engine is running on a dead-end course. Drive an old car, and see why technology advanced from that.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 04:17 PM   #70
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Yeah…these analogies miss the mark completely. We’re not at VR driving yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #71
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird_f32 View Post
Would take either McLaren over a soul less Tesla any day of the week and twice on Sunday!
Most people would. In a hypothetical world given the freedom to chose one, the obvious choice is the McLaren. It doesn’t change the fact that it’s slower, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 04:41 PM   #72
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

I'd rather keep my manual GT3 and add a Tesla Plaid rather than sell both and have a 720s/765LT. The GT3 is more rewarding to drive being manual, NA, and revving all the way to 9k. And the tesla smokes the mclaren in any type of speed contest, its comfy, can seat 5, and requires no maintenance.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
chris7197325.50
      06-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #73
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Do you seriously believe that gasoline is an unlimited resource? Yes, the comparison may have been oversimplified, but the example is not. Manufacturers know full well that the ice engine is running on a dead-end course. Drive an old car, and see why technology advanced from that.
Do you beleive that elecricity is an unlimited resource?

Dead end course?? Says who?? One of elon musks speeches?

Yes technology, can advance, but power source is a different thing isnt it??

Why does California have balckouts still? Becoming 100% reliable on electricity isnt too bright is it? No pun intended
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #74
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Yeah…these analogies miss the mark completely. We’re not at VR driving yet.
Clearly my post flew right over your head

And what exactly is VR driving Lol?? Are you intending to stay stationary in a room and live your life through some vr goggles?

I love how you said 'yet' like you are looking forward to this
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #75
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Do you beleive that elecricity is an unlimited resource?

Dead end course?? Says who?? One of elon musks speeches?

Yes technology, can advance, but power source is a different thing isnt it??

Why does California have balckouts still? Becoming 100% reliable on electricity isnt too bright is it? No pun intended
More than 50% of California's electricity generation comes from natural gas.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 08:24 PM   #76
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

You know, there’s nothing stopping you from having both the McLaren and the Plaid. Except the cost of the McLaren I guess.
      06-26-2021, 07:16 AM   #77
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird_f32 View Post
Would take either McLaren over a soul less Tesla any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

The Model S Plaid here sounds like a jet engine. In some ways these types of debates are similar to analog vs digital - vinyl vs CD, knobs vs touchscreen etc. both require expertise and craftsmanship to be well executed.

When I hear words like soulless to describe cars, makes me wonder what gives a car or any man made object it's soul? Tesla could have easily made the Plaid a limited edition with a production run of 500 with hand finished interior etc…and priced it at $300K, would that give it soul? I bet a lot of research and work went into the drive train, the battery technology etc. This stuff is hard…
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:20 AM   #78
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post

The Model S Plaid here sounds like a jet engine. In some ways these types of debates are similar to analog vs digital - vinyl vs CD, knobs vs touchscreen etc. both require expertise and craftsmanship to be well executed.

When I hear words like soulless to describe cars, makes me wonder what gives a car or any man made object it's soul? Tesla could have easily made the Plaid a limited edition with a production run of 500 with hand finished interior etc…and priced it at $300K, would that give it soul? I bet a lot of research and work went into the drive train, the battery technology etc. This stuff is hard…

jet engine? more like a dentists power drill.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #79
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post

jet engine? more like a dentists power drill.
Wow. You're so smart and funny 😆
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #80
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Quote:

Funny then that your M2 has "piped in speaker noise" and a "hot rod bodykit" while the Tesla doesn't cognitive dissonance here reaching new heights, such is the power of the hate boner
      06-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #81
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
I'd rather keep my manual GT3 and add a Tesla Plaid rather than sell both and have a 720s/765LT. The GT3 is more rewarding to drive being manual, NA, and revving all the way to 9k. And the tesla smokes the mclaren in any type of speed contest, its comfy, can seat 5, and requires no maintenance.
I feel the same way, and hope that the industry comes around to that sentiment. Gas engines won't be able to compete on performance for long, but they can absolutely compete on experience, and it would be refreshing to see more OEM's lean into that. I suppose they're somewhat limited in what they can do with regs and all, but it certainly does feel like fun takes a back seat to most other considerations.
      06-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #82
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Funny then that your M2 has "piped in speaker noise" and a "hot rod bodykit" while the Tesla doesn't cognitive dissonance here reaching new heights, such is the power of the hate boner
My m2 will sound just as good without the piped in speaker noise

You EV will sound like nothing with out the fake noise,

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #83
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

SIL took delivery yesterday so I drove one for the first time.

From a 50 MPH hit, any car will have to play catch-up. Not any production car...any car. AMS, Calvo, or UGR builds on kill probably won't come around it until at least 120 MPH. Because of the immediacy of the power delivery and available traction, it will run away from anything that traps within 10 MPH of it on the street. It's TX2K level fast.

Other than that, it's your pretty typical quiet and comfortable semi-luxurious family sedan.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6036.00
      06-28-2021, 02:37 PM   #84
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Crazy stuff

06-28-2021, 02:39 PM   #85
Top speed
Private
Rep

Drives: AMG gts. McLaren.Porsche

9.3 1/4 mile

9.2 mile

Can't wait to see it go up against the Porsche Taycan Turbo S and absolutely destroy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #86
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
LOL…forget about factory hypercars, <5s 60-130 MPH is TT Lambo on kill territory. On pump gas or E85, the Tesla is walking away. Best part is it can do it on any day, under any conditions, with 4 passengers and a trunk full of groceries. Can’t imagine how silly the Roadster is gonna be.

No question the 765 will net more thumbs-up and conversations at the gas station, though. Validation from strangers is what really counts.
HUH? Twin lambs in 2018 were in the 2 second range. Not saying they will beat the Tesla in that window but there are tons of cars running in the 2 sec range and some even faster
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #87
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top speed View Post

9.3 1/4 mile

9.2 mile

Can't wait to see it go up against the Porsche Taycan Turbo S and absolutely destroy it.
Very nice!!! Your best bet is catch one from the roll. My GTR on kill/E85 Can't beat that on the 1/4. Think my best was 9.55ish . Been awhile since I was at a track or not on 22" Wheels . Bling Bling
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 05:19 PM   #88
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

i'm curious to see how it does on the street against the 1200hp+ GTRs and Lambos. But again, you're comparing a purpose built straight line car (which is probably not super reliable and only gets driven on occasion) to a 5 seat family hauler that doesn't need an oil change or race gas blend.

from a dig on the street i dont think anything has a chance.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread