New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-12-2022, 07:31 AM   #1
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 50i

https://apple.news/Axm8XaqBtQy2npKDtFPPrEA

Surprisingly strong showing by Genesis. Also looks like American brands understand the needs of their American customers pretty well. BMW ranks behind Porsche, but ahead of Audi and Mercedes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-12-2022, 09:09 AM   #2
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: X3M Competition

Vehicles like the GV70 look very pleasing to the eye inside and out so no surprise that Genesis would score well in those areas. BMW must be doing something right as they are consistently higher than Audi and Mercedes that are below average. Also is seems like Infinity is perennially in last place making me wonder why people even bother buying those vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 09:11 AM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Non paywall source?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 10:21 AM   #4
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Non paywall source?
Given Mercedes' overall lower rating but high rating in comfort, it seems like consumer satisfaction is more closely related to driving rating.

Also, it is harder for BMW to rate high since they have a much wider range than Genesis or Tesla or Porsche. So that is even more credible.
Appreciate 1
chassis6507.50
      02-12-2022, 01:09 PM   #5
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Mercedes best or nothing? Definitely not the best in this review. Therefore nothing. Mercedes is rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 05:15 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Apple News and Tesla wins...

What a surprise.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 11:16 PM   #7
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Drives: F10

Actually, no surprise here. Tesla scored high in acceleration, handling, and infotainment, this makes perfect sense to me. I drove a few, and they definitely feel faster than ICE equivalent vehicles, that instant toque and acceleration response is phenomenal. The handling is great too thanks to the low center of gravity. As far as the infotainment system, Tesla by far got the most advanced system, the only negative is probably the lack of Android Auto and Apple Carplay but this is intentional by Tesla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

What a surprise.

Last edited by Sedoy; 02-12-2022 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 07:35 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Actually, no surprise here. Tesla scored high in acceleration, handling, and infotainment, this makes perfect sense to me. I drove a few, and they definitely feel faster than ICE equivalent vehicles, that instant toque and acceleration response is phenomenal. The handling is great too thanks to the low center of gravity. As far as the infotainment system, Tesla by far got the most advanced system, the only negative is probably the lack of Android Auto and Apple Carplay but this is intentional by Tesla.
I think you missed my point.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 03:46 PM   #9
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

What a surprise.
It's a Consumer Reports article.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 07:24 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Some of these results make a lot of sense to me just from a common sense perspective. Tesla… I have not seen bigger fanbois for any other brand and my personal experience with my model 3 I really liked it. I think it’s an amazing car for MOST people especially those who can charge it at home. The tech, while used for a lot of gimmicky bs is second to none. I have not had a with as good a software system as the Tesla. Even with this “new” Cayenne.. Porsche connect is a joke and they charge an arm and a leg for it. Really the only people who don’t like Tesla are driving enthusiast who want the sound, shifting etc and people who don’t like it for political reasons.

I have found Porsche to have some pretty big fanbois also. I think just like Tesla there are a lot of people who would defend Porsche come hell or high water and it’s definitely not a “value” brand. I could not envision myself ever buying a new one unless it’s some kind of crazy lease deal or I was making many millions.

Infiniti… wtf has Infiniti done in the last decade? I use to be a fan of the original G37 and I really liked our EX35, but I don’t think they have done anything since then.

I’m surprised Toyota and Honda don't ranking higher on anything since I know a lot of people who would only buy those brands. However on the flip side those people also don’t give a shit about cars so maybe they just don’t give a shit in general.

Also surprised to see Chrysler up there… couldn’t even think of a newer car Chrysler makes. How many people own a Chryslers these days??
Appreciate 2
Sedoy680.00
FCX52368.50
      02-13-2022, 07:46 PM   #11
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

You nailed it my friend. For example TeslaCam by itself is such an amazing feature showing how much more advanced Tesla software, hardware and connectivity is. I wish my BMW had that, they are still trying to figurate out how to make remote start and phone as a key to work properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Some of these results make a lot of sense to me just from a common sense perspective. Tesla… I have not seen bigger fanbois for any other brand and my personal experience with my model 3 I really liked it. I think it’s an amazing car for MOST people especially those who can charge it at home. The tech, while used for a lot of gimmicky bs is second to none. I have not had a with as good a software system as the Tesla. Even with this “new” Cayenne.. Porsche connect is a joke and they charge an arm and a leg for it. Really the only people who don’t like Tesla are driving enthusiast who want the sound, shifting etc and people who don’t like it for political reasons.

I have found Porsche to have some pretty big fanbois also. I think just like Tesla there are a lot of people who would defend Porsche come hell or high water and it’s definitely not a “value” brand. I could not envision myself ever buying a new one unless it’s some kind of crazy lease deal or I was making many millions.

Infiniti… wtf has Infiniti done in the last decade? I use to be a fan of the original G37 and I really liked our EX35, but I don’t think they have done anything since then.

I’m surprised Toyota and Honda don't ranking higher on anything since I know a lot of people who would only buy those brands. However on the flip side those people also don’t give a shit about cars so maybe they just don’t give a shit in general.

Also surprised to see Chrysler up there… couldn’t even think of a newer car Chrysler makes. How many people own a Chryslers these days??

Last edited by Sedoy; 02-13-2022 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 08:45 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
It's a Consumer Reports article.
Again, what a surprise, Tesla wins.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 09:19 AM   #13
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Again, what a surprise, Tesla wins.
It makes sense that it would win categories based on acceleration and tech. Not exactly sure why you would think a fix was in. Also a lot of Tesla buyers have a lot of enthusiasm regarding saving the planet as well as arguably the most rabid fanbase of all brands. I'm on Tesla forums and plenty of them say they would never go back to ICE so you can understand why they are very enthusiastic even if the build quality is worst in the industry. As said above a lot of these results make a lot of sense when you look at the brands and their typical owners.

I will say the Tesla infotainment system is highly overrated if you are a music fan as you are stuck with playing with USB music if you want any sort of decent quality and Tesa's music file system is a joke as it doesn't accept playlists and I believe after a one year hiatus album art finally got fixed. Streaming Spotify is garbage so you are stuck with bluetooth music off your phone (welcome to 2005) or starting a new hobby of making and constantly changing custom USB music files everytime you add new music.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 02-14-2022 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      02-14-2022, 09:32 AM   #14
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
It makes sense that it would win categories based on acceleration and tech. Not exactly sure why you would think a fix was in. Also a lot of Tesla buyers have a lot of enthusiasm regarding saving the planet as well as arguably the most rabid fanbase of all brands. I'm on Tesla forums and plenty of them say they would never go back to ICE so you can understand why they are very enthusiastic even if the build quality is worst in the industry. As said above a lot of these results make a lot of sense when you look at the brands and their typical owners.

I will say the Tesla infotainment system is highly overrated if you are a music fan as you are stuck with playing with USB music if you want any sort of decent quality and Tesa's music file system is a joke as it doesn't accept playlists and I believe after a one year hiatus album art finally got fixed. Streaming Spotify is garbage so you are stuck with bluetooth music off your phone (welcome to 2005) or starting a new hobby of making and constantly changing custom USB music files everytime you add new music.
Also I’m sure the average Tesla driver probably never owned a 911 and probably came from a Prius or something similar. Coming from any “normal” car a Tesla drives amazing! Shit I have owned a lot of sporty cars and I thought my model 3 drove great, but I kept it in FL and pretty much just drove straight on the highway.

I was a Tesla hater before I got my model 3 and I was really concerned about the lack of carplay and what not on their infotainment. Honestly I didn’t miss it one bit. That being said I’m not a music fanatic as I will pretty much listen to anything. When I was in the mood for something specific I could always pull it up in the default Tesla music player. Most of the time it was just on one of their stations. I found the quality pretty good, again not an audiophile, however I did notice some stations sounded better than others. Like the new pop stuff sounded a lot better quality than when I looked up older stuff. Overall though I liked it and it was super fast and the voice command was actually very good.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 10:41 AM   #15
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

So what do music fans use for music quality with other manufacturers that is not available on Teslas? Not sure if you are aware, but Tesla's can use playlists or albums with Tidal app which offers music at 1,411 Kbps and also lossless quality with a bit rate as high as 9,216 Kbps. Can't imagine how much better you can do in $45K car (or any $$$ car for that matter), other than life music playing from your back seat...

Quote:

Last edited by Sedoy; 02-14-2022 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 12:25 PM   #16
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So what do music fans use for music quality with other manufacturers that is not available on Teslas? Not sure if you are aware, but Tesla's can use playlists or albums with Tidal app which offers music at 1,411 Kbps and also lossless quality with a bit rate as high as 9,216 Kbps. Can't imagine how much better you can do in $45K car (or any $$$ car for that matter), other than life music playing from your back seat...
I can plug my phone in any modern vehicle via USB and get basic ipod functionality that's much higher quality than streaming. You can't do that in a Tesla and even BMW CarPlay is via wifi which is superior to Bluetooth. If you go to the forums you will see that Tidal has issues with people losing their signal and you have to pay Tidal HiFi. It's a terrible system for people that like good quality audio and there's no way to sugar coat it.
Appreciate 1
FCX52368.50
      02-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #17
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Tesla supports AAC at 256kbps and 48 kHz via bluetooth streaming. I assume 1% of people who care for anything above that can carry a USB drive or pay for Tidal. I wouldn't call Tesla informant "highly overrated" because 1% audiophile users can't listen to their music at above 256kbps .

Quote:
I can plug my phone in any modern vehicle via USB and get basic ipod functionality that's much higher quality than streaming. You can't do that in a Tesla and even BMW CarPlay is via wifi which is superior to Bluetooth. If you go to the forums you will see that Tidal has issues with people losing their signal and you have to pay Tidal HiFi. It's a terrible system for people that like good quality audio and there's no way to sugar coat it.

Last edited by Sedoy; 02-14-2022 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 01:16 PM   #18
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Tesla supports AAC at 256kbps and 48 kHz via bluetooth streaming. I assume 1% of people who care for anything above that can carry a USB drive or pay for Tidal. I wouldn't call Tesla informant "highly overrated" because 1% audiophile users can't listen to their music at above 256kbps .
I don't know man. Are you at the Tesla forums? Many people there wish that Elon spent less time on fart noises and more time on improving the UI and every week there's a new owners flabbergasted at the media restrictions. I would wager it's more than 1% but you keep fighting the good fight on behalf of Elon. Also nearly everyone hates UI V11 but I'm sure you think it's great.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 01:31 PM   #19
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

I'm not fighting or care for Elon, I don't even own, or plan to own a Tesla. I'm just responding to your post about Tesla infotainment system. The bluetooth streaming in 3 of my BMWs can't even connect correctly or gets disconnected after I take calls thru other bluetooth device . this drives me crazy, and the dealer wants to take my car for a day to do a software update and it's not even guaranteed to fix the issues. Also, there is this stupid 2 sec. delay between the video and sound thru bluetooth streaming (if it finally connected)... Soo I would gladly take the Tesla informant system with all of its issues in my BMWs...

Quote:
I don't know man. Are you at the Tesla forums? Many people there wish that Elon spent less time on fart noises and more time on improving the UI and every week there's a new owners flabbergasted at the media restrictions. I would wager it's more than 1% but you keep fighting the good fight on behalf of Elon. Also nearly everyone hates UI V11 but I'm sure you think it's great.

Last edited by Sedoy; 02-14-2022 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 02:30 PM   #20
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Case in point, I literally don't even know what you are talking about. Then again I hardly listen to music.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 03:00 PM   #21
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Basically, kbps is a bitrate of music compressed to MP3, AAC or other formats. To put it in perspective, arguably humans can't tell the difference between lossless music sources and 320 kbps compression. So streaming at 256kbps is very good and depending on speakers quality will be indistinguishable from lossless quality by most humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Case in point, I literally don't even know what you are talking about. Then again I hardly listen to music.
Appreciate 1
FCX52368.50